By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft R&D Burns $65 Million In Three Months On Something Unknown

Halo 4 ^.^

Around the Network
ssj12 said:

Its probably Microsoft LightSpace

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/video/default.aspx?id=139046

that was the dumbest thing ive ever seen.

"you pull out your hand and it shows you directions, or an arrow appears on the floor"

"I can pass the video to him, in his hand, and he can drop it on the paper and play around with it"

What a useless technology.

is 65 million in a quarter really that much money?

They have been researching the quickest and most efficient way to burn money.

And they think they're close to a breakthrough. They just need a little, teensy bit more funding.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

theprof00 said:
ssj12 said:

"you pull out your hand and it shows you directions, or an arrow appears on the floor"

"I can pass the video to him, in his hand, and he can drop it on the paper and play around with it"

actually its a very good step in technology. We are getting close to a Minority Report (for anime nerds Tenchi Muyo) computer interface.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
ssj12 said:

How was that useless?  These are tech demos, you can think of all kinds of cool applications for this.

A good example is in the movie Avatar when they first put Jake in the avatar link pod and the doctor is looking at the scan of his brain on a big monitor, then with just the swipe of his hand he transfers that to a tablet like device so he can walk with it.

Think of if you're reading the daily paper on your computer and you have to go to the bathroom and you'd like to finish reading, you pick up your future iPad and just swipe from your monitor to the iPad and boom, there it is instantly.

daroamer said:
theprof00 said:
ssj12 said:

How was that useless?  These are tech demos, you can think of all kinds of cool applications for this.

A good example is in the movie Avatar when they first put Jake in the avatar link pod and the doctor is looking at the scan of his brain on a big monitor, then with just the swipe of his hand he transfers that to a tablet like device so he can walk with it.

Think of if you're reading the daily paper on your computer and you have to go to the bathroom and you'd like to finish reading, you pick up your future iPad and just swipe from your monitor to the iPad and boom, there it is instantly.

no, this uses a projector to do the tech. You would need a projector in every room at every angle to even start producing the kinds of effects you're talking about. It's just not feasible.

You're really confusing what is happening in that demo for what you wish it did. It's not putting the file onto something else, it's projecting it onto something else. Did you see that projector they were using? That's a really really expensive set up. That's like, comemrcially priced equipment. You're talking tens of thousands, just for that one room, for SOME angles.

However, what you're talking about is easily done with different methods. In Japan, cell phones transfer files and information using IR or bluetooth or some such technology. All you have to do is equip an iPad with that and similarly with the monitor. Boom, instant file transmission. No need to even swipe your hand.

As far as the newspaper idea. There are already several foldable screen techs in the works. Pocket sized pads that fold out to standard paper size.

It's a silly tech, at best, at worst, it's an already outdated piece of technology. Outdated in the sense that there are already cheap alternatives to doing the same thing, or capable of doing similar things.

it could really be anything.  their R&D is huge and does all sorts of random things.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

theprof00 said:
daroamer said:
theprof00 said:
ssj12 said:

no, this uses a projector to do the tech. You would need a projector in every room at every angle to even start producing the kinds of effects you're talking about. It's just not feasible.

You're really confusing what is happening in that demo for what you wish it did. It's not putting the file onto something else, it's projecting it onto something else. Did you see that projector they were using? That's a really really expensive set up. That's like, comemrcially priced equipment. You're talking tens of thousands, just for that one room, for SOME angles.

However, what you're talking about is easily done with different methods. In Japan, cell phones transfer files and information using IR or bluetooth or some such technology. All you have to do is equip an iPad with that and similarly with the monitor. Boom, instant file transmission. No need to even swipe your hand.

As far as the newspaper idea. There are already several foldable screen techs in the works. Pocket sized pads that fold out to standard paper size.

It's a silly tech, at best, at worst, it's an already outdated piece of technology. Outdated in the sense that there are already cheap alternatives to doing the same thing, or capable of doing similar things.

It's using the 3d kinect stuff for natural human/machine interaction.  The stuff in kinect will be big not just for gaming - think smart homes with rooms that have voice command and identity sensing, or information kiosks with natural human/computer interaction, the kind of stuff grandmas who don't understand computers can use.

It takes some second order thinking to envision the possibilities, and the people at MS research come from the right side of the IQ curve.  Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's worthless.

youarebadatgames said:

It's using the 3d kinect stuff for natural human/machine interaction.  The stuff in kinect will be big not just for gaming - think smart homes with rooms that have voice command and identity sensing, or information kiosks with natural human/computer interaction, the kind of stuff grandmas who don't understand computers can use.

It takes some second order thinking to envision the possibilities, and the people at MS research come from the right side of the IQ curve.  Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's worthless.

lol.

Goodluck with your projector peripheral then.Can't wait to see 360 degree projectors every 15 feet to do something we can already do with an iphone.

Voice command is already done and so is identity sensing and lots of other cool things. If you think kinect is not only "creating new experiences", but outdoing what we already have, you are sadly sadly mistaken.

"or information kiosks with natural human/computer interaction, the kind of stuff grandmas who don't understand computers can use." - thankfully KINECT is going to save us all; oh I should correct myself, KINECT AND a bunch of other hardware.

Don't think I didn't notice your little jab at my intelligence. Come back when you have something more concrete to say rather than this romantic defensive daydreaming.

'One day it will be able to cool your cup just by sensing the temperature of a drink on your lips, and old people will understand the new generation, and nobody will be able to break into your home and steal stuff, and cats and dogs will live together peacefully under one roof. Thanks kinect!'