By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Apple to aquire Sony? Oh please dont make me puke!!!

If anyone they should acquire to enter the gaming scene, it should be SEGA. Perfect for a revival of a SEGA console. Let's call it iSEGA :)

Around the Network
Kynes said:
mchaza said:

well Apple does have 51 billion dollars they have made from there huge iphone/pod network which gives them billions of profit a mouth. And remember while Sony is a big corperation, Apple only has to invest in enough shares to do an take over bid and 51 billion is certainly enough.

When you want to make a takeover, you don't offer the market value, you have to offer a higher amount to make it attractive to the shareholders, sometimes much higher than the market value to make it worthy to the shareholders to sell. And we can't forget the japanese pride, and what would mean to them having one of their industry "airship carriers" bought by an american company. I'm not sure if the japanese government wouldn't interfere with this operation.

LOL, Like Japan ever says no to America.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Galaki said:

If anyone they should acquire to enter the gaming scene, it should be SEGA. Perfect for a revival of a SEGA console. Let's call it iSEGA :)

It wouldn't take to much to Aquire Sammy Sega. But honestly what would they do with the gambling buisness? Maybe Sammy would sell Sega to Apple for the right price, no point in buying both. I'd guess 750-mill to a bill would be enough to purchase Sega alone.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Galaki said:

lol.

Honestly the Apple brand surprasses anything Sony these days including Playstation and to be more honest Sony's first party games are not the best. I know, superb quality games but popularity and sales figures aren't their strongest suit.

so again, Why would Apple do it?

i always wondered wat would happen if both companies 'join forces', they would take over the whole show, shut down the competitors... they are my favorite companies in terms of tech (iPod & PS1,2,3) i hope this doesnt happen tho

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

also im pretty sure sony has a higher revenue than apple so that makes me believe its false

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Apple and Sony are very much going different direction in business sense.

Sony sells at a lost and hopes to cash in on lisencing fees.

Apple sells at a huge profit and hopes to cash in on even more lisencing fees.

Joelcool7 said:
viewtiful_jon said:
-Newcloud- said:

this is as bad as when i read MS was going to buy nintendo

But I think that was acctually true that they wanted to buy nintendo but I dont think a large enought % of the company was avaliable to make a buyout possible.

It was true I can't link to the interview because it was in a gaming magazine back in like 2001. But in it Iwata stated Microsoft offered him a blank cheque for Nintendo. Iwata stated he had one condition that Nintendo remain a seperate entity and that the company retained full control over all of its hardware and intellectual properties. The talks fell apart as Nintendo was not willing to compromise, thank God.

After Microsoft failed in aquiring Nintendo they saw they could not carry out a hostile take over Nintendo was too big. So they did the next best thing and took over Rare. I remember the take over started as just a rumour just like this one many people wrote it off. But it ended up being true, so I wouldn't be so quick to completely write off a rumour that is more then plausable.

Keep in mind the rumour lists three companies Apple is thinking of aquiring not just one. Sony is listed alongside EA and Disney. I wouldn't put it past Apple to want to expand into another industry and video games or cartoons are major industries that could make Apple alot of dough.

I may not believe this rumour to be true but it definatly is plausable. Keep in mind Apple leaks info all the time intentionally or unintentionally and many of these rumours I've heard have turned out to be true. So I'm skeptical that this might actually hold alittle weight.

Serious_frusting said:

In my opnion when it comes to next gen the company who can get the casuals and the hardcore gamers on side will win the gen. I have said this for a long time had the Wii ben HD it would have outsold the DS

No crap shirlock. If they control the casual and hardcore markets thats everyone, duh. Right now their isn't a console on the market that is the favorite of both casuals and hardcore. Some will argue Wii but I think the strong performances by Microsoft and now even Sony prove that Nintendo does not appeal to enough of the hardcore market.

Also Serious you talk about how Apple appeals to smaller software like social network and phone games. That is because Apple lacks the internal teams to create more hardcore experiances. You sound like your just re-saying what Michael Pachter said about Apple joining the industry.

Keep in mind rumours were flying that Apple had thought of purchasing Bungie before Microsoft decided to do so. That doesn't sound like just social network games to me. Steve Jobs is not a moron and he knows there is alot of money to be made by created AAA titles. An aquisition of Sony would give Apple dozens of intellectual properties to mine and dozens of in house developers to create games for both PS4 and the next I-Mac.

If Apple aquired Sony they would likely focus on Microsoft over Nintendo unlike what you seem to think. Why? Because Microsoft is a dual competitor if Apple entered the console industry they would be fighting Microsoft on two fronts the home computer front as well as console front. It would be in Apples best interest to crush Microsoft. Just like Microsoft's best interest is to crush Sony over Nintendo.

I think if Apple aquired Sony we would be looking at a power house in the console industry one that could even crush Microsoft and/or Nintendo. I think its only a matter of time before Apple enters the console industry and when they do I doubt they will stick to social network and independant games. A purchase of EAGames would also be a major asset and perhaps lead to an entrance into the console industry.

Either way you look at it this rumour points to Apple entering the console industry, God help us!

@ the underlined part.

Microsoft could have easily taken over Nintendo at the time, It had nothing to do with the size of Nintendo, but rather the amount of stock available to the public.  Nintendo is a publicly traded company but from my understanding there isn't enough of the stock available to the public for MS to gain control.  Meaning the best MS could do is 49% or less, or whatever percentage of stock that was available.  Which is why Nintendo hasn't been gobbled up by some conglomerate years and years ago (SNES era etc..).   Thats why MS offered this blank check to Iwata, instead of just taking the company over via hostile takeover.

Any publicly traded company can be taken over as long as the stock is available to be purchased.  And for those saying that the Japanese government would step in, I would seriously doubt it.  IBM was bought by a Chinese company some time ago and the American government didn't even do anything about that.  And IBM is so much more important in the electronics world.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Well the Apple to buy Sony rumor is ridiculous...

Now if Apple would consider to buy SCE, that's another matter... 

damndl0ser said

Microsoft could have easily taken over Nintendo at the time, It had nothing to do with the size of Nintendo, but rather the amount of stock available to the public.  Nintendo is a publicly traded company but from my understanding there isn't enough of the stock available to the public for MS to gain control.  Meaning the best MS could do is 49% or less, or whatever percentage of stock that was available.  Which is why Nintendo hasn't been gobbled up by some conglomerate years and years ago (SNES era etc..).   Thats why MS offered this blank check to Iwata, instead of just taking the company over via hostile takeover.

MS tried to aquire Ninendo back when Hiroshi Yamauchi was president of Nintendo, before the Xbox.  Yamauchi  didn't want to sell and is still the majority shareholder of Nintendo.  Since the release of the Wii he has become the richest man in Japan.