By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has the Playstation Move's apparent success made people go crazy?

thismeintiel said:
czecherychestnut said:
starcraft said:

Did Move do what Sony and many of it's fans hoped or intended?  Certainly not.

What did you think Sony intended for the Move in its first month? Given that its already had a production increase, I'd say whatever measure of success Sony had for the Move has already been exceeded.

Definitely agree with this.  Plus, Sony (as well as supporters) had already stated they expected Move to start out as a slow burn.  I think it's burning a little faster than they expected.

Sony has thrown around many press statements since the Move's launch, few of which are credible given VGC's sales and comments from the likes of Pachter.

Sony only started making comments about a slownurn in the immediate lead up to the product's launch, once it became apparent it would not set the world alight.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

@ starcraft

You just reinforced Point 3.  And you do realize Sony can't lie about their numbers, right?

starcraft said:
thismeintiel said:
czecherychestnut said:
starcraft said:

What did you think Sony intended for the Move in its first month? Given that its already had a production increase, I'd say whatever measure of success Sony had for the Move has already been exceeded.

Definitely agree with this.  Plus, Sony (as well as supporters) had already stated they expected Move to start out as a slow burn.  I think it's burning a little faster than they expected.

Sony has thrown around many press statements since the Move's launch, few of which are credible given VGC's sales and comments from the likes of Pachter.

Sony only started making comments about a slownurn in the immediate lead up to the product's launch, once it became apparent it would not set the world alight.

Sure, why not.

thismeintiel said:

@ starcraft

You just reinforced Point 3.  And you do realize Sony can't lie about their numbers, right?

You disagreeing with Pachter doesn't for a moment mean he jumped the gun.  His recent statements are in line with VGC.

And you're fundamentally incorrect.  Sony cannot lie in their financial reports (though there are limits to how clear and open they have to be).

But their PR department just about exists to lie, and it can do so with virtual impunity.

the problem for anyone trying for a meaningful analysis of these numbers and most crucially their software purchasing potential is what sony's definition of units is and how that translates to install bases. if sony are counting every item needed for move separately then a two player setup would consist of 5 units and a single player of 3 units plus console. all nice and easy. but then what about the people who already have the camera. or are willing to use the DS controller as the second device? then you are down to 1 unit per person. so with 2.5 million units you could be looking at anything from 500k unique install bases up to 2.5 million. a major statistician's headache!

Around the Network
starcraft said:
thismeintiel said:

@ starcraft

You disagreeing with Pachter doesn't for a moment mean he jumped the gun.  His recent statements are in line with VGC.

And you're fundamentally incorrect.  Sony cannot lie in their financial reports (though there are limits to how clear and open they have to be).

But their PR department just about exists to lie, and it can do so with virtual impunity.

Of course he jumped the gun.  He admited it himself.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/10/sony-move-controllers-playstation-3-ship.html

And the statements regarding how many Moves were sold were not made by Sony's PR department.  They were made by Sony's CEO's of America and Europe.  It would be almost impossible for them to lie about these numbers, as doing so would harm the company.  Both in reputation and sales.

thismeintiel said:
starcraft said:
thismeintiel said:

@ starcraft

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/10/sony-move-controllers-playstation-3-ship.html

And the statements regarding how many Moves were sold were not made by Sony's PR department.  They were made by Sony's CEO's of America and Europe.  It would be almost impossible for them to lie about these numbers, as doing so would harm the company.  Both in reputation and sales.

Mate, you really need to examine your assessment of the shipped versus sold argument, as well as rethink your perception of how these CEO's are required to operate and how we would prefer they operate.

At the whole "Shipped vs. Sold" stuff. I think people get that but the release by Sony said that it had shipped that many and that they are going to ramp up production. It is also noteworthy that Move was selling out a lot which means that most likely most of those shipped moves have been sold other wise why would they up production if there was 2 million sitting on shelves...

starcraft said:
thismeintiel said:
starcraft said:
thismeintiel said:

@ starcraft

Mate, you really need to examine your assessment of the shipped versus sold argument, as well as rethink your perception of how these CEO's are required to operate and how we would prefer they operate.

Actually, I think my assessment is pretty spot on.  And I guess you just have a general mistrust of any CEO, then?  Nintendo and MS included?  Trust me, if it was found out they were lying (which financial reports would show), then they would be canned for hurting the company's rep.  It's as simple as that.

starcraft said:

Success is all relative.  Do I believe that in and of itself Move will make a profit?  Likely.

Could the resources Sony has poured into it have been better spent?  Probably.

Actually even I the most well know move fan never expect 2.5m moves to be sold/shipped, so it did much better than any of us expected, and that is without Japan launch, people forget this the most.

OT: Excellent thread, very good points which i all agree with, dont forget to throw the fact that move has not launched in Japan yet,

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1