By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Want to learn spanish,is there hope for me?

I've always wanted to learn spanish,but I've always been to lazy to put forth the effort. I sucked at english,so it would probably take me years and years of pratice to learn a second language. Why spanish you ask---I just like the sound and the way spanish people talk,I just like how it rolls off your tongue.Why a second language you ask-----The challenge of it. To say that I accomplished something,there would be no bigger challenge to me,then this goal. So what's an easy to start learning spanish? Is there software that works? Is there some techniques that I could use. Should I just quit,before I even start? I would want this to be self-taught bye the way.  

Around the Network

Best advice is to get a class. Good software (Rosetta Stone) is expensive as hell, and you have to really have the right mentality to go it alone, like buy yourself a textbook or something (i don't have that mentality, for instance, i need structure)

Find a cheap class

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Best advice is to get a class. Good software (Rosetta Stone) is expensive as hell, and you have to really have the right mentality to go it alone, like buy yourself a textbook or something (i don't have that mentality, for instance, i need structure)

Find a cheap class

I forgot about Rosetta Stone,thanks. I'd rather do that. Going at it alone,has always been my mentality. lol

You have to build a strong discipline to go for that. Also, if you don't have interest for the culture of Spain or Latin America, then i would not recommend to study and learn by yourself.

I studied japanese in the past, and the only thing that pushed me for that was the love for japan's culture. Everytime I HEAR J-pop, WATCH j-doramas and PLAY japanese games.

Try to HEAR, WATCH and PLAY in Spanish, even if you don't understand nothing you will be able to get used to the language. You have to THINK like a Spanish.

I learned Spanish in 6 months. But that was because I'm a Brazilian(portuguese is very similiar to spanish).

Onibaka said:

You have to build a strong discipline to go for that. Also, if you don't have interest for the culture of Spain or Latin America, then i would not recommend to study and learn by yourself.

I studied japanese in the past, and the only thing that pushed me for that was the love for japan's culture. Everytime I HEAR J-pop, WATCH j-doramas and PLAY japanese games.

Try to HEAR, WATCH and PLAY in Spanish, even if you don't understand nothing you will be able to get used to the language. You have to THINK like a Spanish.

I learned Spanish in 6 months. But that was because I'm a Brazilian(portuguese is very similiar to spanish).

So, what, you've got like 4 languages under your belt? (Portuguese, Japanese, Spanish, and English)

Respect. Wish i could do that.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

rosetta sucks DO NOT BUY IT.

You need to immerse yourself in language if you want to learn it.

Make friends who speak spanish. Get a beginner textbook and read it, study it, know it. You need your mind to feel like it MUST know spanish in order to survive. 

Onibaka said:

Good advise.

First try looking for movies that have spanish subtitles and spanish voiceovers, and you can mix them, hear them in spanish with english subtitles, then hear them in english with spanish subtitles and when you are familiar with the words and phrase creation (subject verb objetc) you can hear them in spanish with spanish subtitles. I recommend Disney movies because those usually use simpler words because the kids have to understand them.

Also hear music in spanish and look for the lyrics, translate them so you will understand the meaning of the song, if you have a favorite genre just let me know and I will recommend some groups or songs. Later you can try to sing along, that way you can improve in your pronunciation.

Its good if you choose the type of spanish you want to learn, like in english you can choose from UK and USA, in spanish you have to choose from Spain and Latinoamerica type of spanish, its the same basic lenguage but some words have different uses and the pronunciation its also different.

theprof00 said:

Make friends who speak spanish. Get a beginner textbook and read it, study it, know it. You need your mind to feel like it MUST know spanish in order to survive. 

Care to explain why? I found it went right to the basics of language to build you up as if you were learning your first language again.

Feylic said:
theprof00 said:

Care to explain why? I found it went right to the basics of language to build you up as if you were learning your first language again.

overpriced, way too cursory, and really just a waste of time.

Audio tutorials are better. And even then by not much. The kind where it's like "repeat (target language)- translation" 

The best way to learn a language is to get a beginners textbook, study all the lessons one by one and practice with a friend. 

A cheaper option is to get a beginners dictionary or word list and beginners grammar online. Follow it up with children's books, dubs of movies you know word for word, and shows spoken in the target language. The truth is, the more words you know, the more you'll be able to figure out what a sentence says, and from there you learn how the word is used, and can contextually figure out what the rest of the sentence means. 

Word base is one of the most important pieces of learning the language, and while rosetta does that, you can do the same thing with a simple dictionary or textbook. 

go for it