By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Netflix will now be the Best on PS3?

"If you thought Netflix going native on the PlayStation 3 simply meant you wouldn't have to spindle a disc, think again.

Sure, when Monday next week rolls around and a new PS3 update rolls out grafting Netflix to the XMB cross-menubar overlay, the disc Netflix employed to circumvent timed exclusivity with Microsoft becomes a coaster. But you'll also see a few features even the Xbox 360 version doesn't sport yet.

For starters, the PS3 version of Netflix will now support Dolby Digital Plus 5.1-channel surround sound for movies and TV shows streamed from the service. To be honest, I didn't realize that wasn't already an option because my 5.1 kit's in mothballs, but for those with pimped surround gear, your sonic bliss is here.

For videophiles, the visual quality's been upgraded a tick as well, allowing select movies to stream at 1080i, or 1920 x 1080 lines interlaced. Of course 720p rates better for video playback, since it renders frames in sequence and doesn't require anti-aliasing techniques to soften interline jitter. Why no holy 1080p grail? Because it requires twice the bandwidth of 1080i. Perhaps in 2011?

Update: It seems the original press release was in error. According to Sony's Greg Peters, amending an error on the official PlayStation blog, Netflix will in fact support 1080p streaming video next Monday after all. Celebrate good times then.

Miscellaneous tweaks include faster start times for movies, i.e. faster caching, and incrementally better subtitle and alternate audio track support for movies and TV shows.

But all of that's obviously in the offing for the Xbox 360. The most important discrete change to the PS3's take on Netflix involves its functionally overhauled and stylistically renovated interface. Check out Sony's promotional video below to see it in action. It looks nothing like the clunky barebones spread you've been using, and smartly builds on the XMB's intuitive "text menus on the left, browsable pictures on the right" architecture."

If you want to see what the netflix app looks like check out the video on the website!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/207925/new_ps3_netflix_version_leapfrogs_xbox_360_best_version_yet.html?tk=hp_new

You also don't have to have PSN Plus to get this!

Around the Network

PS3 has already become my Netflix console of choice.  Looks like it's only going to get better!

Wow, that is awesome.

Will try it out when the app is available.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:

Wow, that is awesome.

APP is coming out tomorrow!

SpartenOmega117 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Wow, that is awesome.

APP is coming out tomorrow!

Nice. I'll probably mess around with the instant views tonight then.

Tomorrow shall be movie night.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

The funny thing about the article is, they fail to mentionthe 360 is getting a netflix update in a few weeks with the new dashboard. I have been using it as part of the preview for weeks already. It's a huge improvement.

Looks Like ill stick to the PS3 for netflix then.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Wow this is so CULEAN!!!

My sharingan is bleeding!

Well it does look like its gonna be the best system to watch netflix on.....5.1 audio doesn't really affect me though since I don't have surround sound.

But I thought that the 360 streams in 1080i cause I was just watching something today in HD and it said 1080i.

Cool, but i rarely use it on the PS3 or watch movies in general.