By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Not sure how it works, but is this considered false advertising?

Based on my knowledge of advertising they've done nothing wrong because the only time you ever saw a movement replicated ingame was when the child stood up. The finger wiggling was simply that, finger wiggling, there was no response from the game it was only implied that there would be. However, the implication IS there, I'm pretty sure if enough people complained it would probably be removed but thats mainly because of how ridiculously PC everything is nowadays as opposed to any advertising fault. 

I do love how big everyone's living room has become thanks to the Wii and Kinect adverts though, mine feels smaller everyday. 

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

diseptive - maybe.  false - certainly not. 

MS makes no claims in the commerial that finger movements actually do anything and as long as you can make the required input movements while moving your fingers MS didn't do anything legally wrong in that commerial. 

honestly, i think you are looking for faults a bit too hard.

"means of advertisement other than labeling, which is misleading in a material respect; and in determining whether an advertisement is misleading, there shall be taken into account (among other things) not only representations made or suggested by statement, word, design, device, sound, or any combination thereof, but also the extent to which the advertisement fails to reveal facts material in the light of such representations or material with respect to consequences which may result from the use of the commodity to which the advertisement relates under the conditions prescribed in said advertisement, or under such conditions as are customary or usual."

Wilson, Lee. "The Advertising Law Guide: A Friendly Desktop Reference for Advertising Professionals."

If an advert is misleading or deceptive, it can count as false advertising even if it is not actually false, as such. 

P.S. I don't make any claims about the technical capabilities of kinect, I am completely unaware whether or not it is capable of detecting such motions, I am assuming that it can't, because if it can, then this thread has no point. If you know that it does, feel free to send me a video demonstrating this, but be polite

P.S.S. I do not actually own said book, I am not that sad...

kowenicki said:

good grief....  how many kinect hate threads do we average a day now?

About the same amount as the "Kinect is now SOLD OUT at blah, blah, and blah" threads.

the kids o-o!?

Euphoria14 said:

I was reading the article about how MS sent Jim Sterling a take-down notice for his rather harsh article about the Kinect"teasers", but as I watched the Kinectimals one I couldn't help but wonder if it could be considered false advertising.

Now before people start jumping down my throat try reading what I have to say and if so please inform me on how the business works because I will be the first to admit that I am not 100% sure on the rules of advertising, but to me, a consumer who has plenty of info on the Kinect, I know this commercial lies.

Those kids are wiggling their fingers in what looks to be them petting the animal or playing with it in some way.

Isn't Kinect incapable of detecting that? 

Just want to get some input, because I saw this brought up in the comments section and was wondering what others might know that I might not. Maybe this is partly the reason why they didn't want them shown and sent out the take-down notices?

Thanks.

So you have never seen a shoe commercial showing guys doing flip dunks? The Sprite commercial where the basketball court turns into a pool after taking a sip and they jump in? Need I go on? Unless they are promising something in that commercial with actual words and guarantees then its not false advertising. Use common sense before making a stupid thread that you already know the answer to. Enough of the Kinect trolling. Its seriously getting old.

Around the Network

People are way to defensive about a camera...... 

People should be banned for calling people trolls when they aren't in the same way that people are banned for calling others fanboys. It's getting ridiculous how the Microsoft defence force comes barging into every Kinect thread and are willing to praise Kinect and then bash a company that's not involved in the same sentence. You'd think this forum was visited by 12 year olds by the way some people post and react to things.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

People should be banned for suggesting people should be banned.

Edit: I guess that means I should be banned for suggesting people be banned for suggesting people be banned.

tuscaniman said:

Edit: I guess that means I should be banned for suggesting people be banned for suggesting people be banned.

Don't worry, at least you made me laugh, the edit was ace.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:

When you pick up Fable III make a impressions thread. I want to know what you think of it. I'm on the fence about getting it.

tuscaniman said:
Doobie_wop said:
tuscaniman said:

When you pick up Fable III make a impressions thread. I want to know what you think of it. I'm on the fence about getting it.

If you liked Fable 2, your most likely going to like Fable 3, unless the new gameplay elements being talked about are going to drastically change the game. I'll make one once I'm done with it, so it might take a while.