By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Low Budget doesn't mean bad!

Calling all cars cost 1mill, took 11/13 months to make.

Around the Network

Sorry, I felt I should bump this considering the current discussion about how Wii alledgely doesn't have lots of high budget cinematic experience-type games.

It does have a bit of pertinence, though, since games can be much more *experimental* when it comes to gameplay when there's not a lot of money invested into it.

Tetris is the ultimate low-budget game.  Other similar games like Lumines come to mind.

Anyone ever play Starscape?  It's a PC game that I think they were trying to bring to the Xbox.  Dunno if they ever succeeded in that.

How about Serious Sam?  This one did make it to the Xbox, and the Gamecube I think too.  Definitely a low-budget title, and an absolute blast because it was actually different from every other FPS out there.

Pikmin can't have cost that much to make.  Nor Super Monkey Ball.

Hey, I realize that none of these games are for everyone, but then neither is Halo. 

Entroper said:

Tetris is the ultimate low-budget game. Other similar games like Lumines come to mind.

Anyone ever play Starscape? It's a PC game that I think they were trying to bring to the Xbox. Dunno if they ever succeeded in that.

How about Serious Sam? This one did make it to the Xbox, and the Gamecube I think too. Definitely a low-budget title, and an absolute blast because it was actually different from every other FPS out there.

Pikmin can't have cost that much to make. Nor Super Monkey Ball.

Hey, I realize that none of these games are for everyone, but then neither is Halo.

The original Smash Bros was a low budget game. Nintendo wanted to make a fighting game, but didn't want to even spend the money to develop new characters. So they just threw in a bunch of their IPs and went nuts.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Steve 3.2 said:

With ease of development, large installed base, and users who seem to love 'quirky' titles, the DS probably has the biggest potential audience for independent publishers. Cooking Mama (which wasn't all that great, IMHO) was a prime example of 'budget ware'. (How Majesco thinks people will pay $50 for the Wii version is beyond me.) Other titles include the Brain 'series' (Age and Academy), most puzzle games, and a large amount of licensed content (movies, cartoons, etc.).

The Wii may be similar to it's portable brother in those areas, but Nintendo has so far disappointed the development community with the lack of annoucements for original Virtual Console games and lack of support for smaller developers. Once Nintendo gets those production issues ironed out, they have some other work cut out for them.

I think low budget games should cost less.  Kinda like all the Live and PSN games.

Where is Calling All Cars?  =(