By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Processor Powers New Glasses-Free 3D Televisions

zarx said:
jneul said:
drkohler said:

jneul: It's nice that you retyped all the marketing info on the Cell processor, but again:

There is no CPU in Toshiba's TV sets. The chip contains 4 SPUs that are hardcoded to enhance the images - they are not used as programmable general purpose processors since there is no multithreaded processing unit at all inside the chip, simply because the TV set is not a computer, it is a TV set that has one task to do - to show you nice pictures. Since it takes a lot of tranistor space to simultaneously decode several video streams, the CPU was tossed out. Saves a lot of space and heat. Yes, marketing calls it a (Sony) Cell processor - but it isn't.

CONTRADICTIONS FTW

PS THE CELL HAS ALWAYS BEEN SPU BASED(MOST PROGRAMMING IS RUN THROUGH THERE), AND JUST BECAUSE THIS ONE IS HARDCODED(POSSIBLY CONTROLLED BY UPGRADABLE FIRMWARE) AND NOT A COMPUTER DOES NOT MAKE IT ANY LESS OF A CELL THAN THE PS3 CELL, MODIFIED VERSION IT IS, NOW PLEASE STOP EMBARRASSING YOURSELF

wo wo there is no need for all caps here. And if what he said about it just being a CELL based 4 SPU chip is true then the TV truly has a very small relation to the PS3. Saying it has the same chip as the PS3 would be like saying the iPad has the same chip as the NDS because they both have ARM based CPUs, while they are derived from the same architecture and designer they are totally different chips. Having said that the TV does have a chip in the same family as the PS3. 

Anyway hope you don't get banned

Yeah what I am saying it is is a modified version of the ps3 cell, it doesn't matter if i get banned, i guess I am taking it to far as usual, anyway

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
Frank_kc said:

This is what i am thinking:

Toshiba is crazy and will fail for selling 20 inch TVs for around 3000 $. How much would it be for the bigger sizes? god knows, but it doesnt look promesing.

Sony sold their OLED TV for about the same price. I think poor sales led Sony to stop production of OLED TVs however.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

bmmb1 said:

Well Cell was jointly developed by Sony, IBM and Toshiba, so this makes sense. I think it is a bit ironic though that the Cell is being used to power a technology that Sony didn't plan to introduce anytime soon and so helps somewhat to disrupt (same as the 3DS) Sony's current push for 3D with glasses.

sony ain't pushing 3D with glasses... 3D with glasses is the only solution for big and good TVs now a days and its the only solution that allows multi viewers (with multi glasses), 3D glassless is only available for small and weaker image quality screens that only allows one or two viewers that need to be in a very closed range of good viewing angle, that don't cut in home cinema setup for people that are already used to have 46" and more screen sizes...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

kowenicki said:
jneul said:

please note that sony have this baby as well so if 3D-Tv ever takes off you can bet that one day they may well make this as a product we can all buy in the fututre (obviously will be even better)

sony have that do they?

so do loads and loads of other people.

the first demo of that was from an american university years ago.... and this looks remarkably similar (identical)...  why do you seem ti think that sony are at the forefront of everything innovative?

your loyalty is impressive... if a little odd.

they have had it for a while seece don't try to be clever, anyway we want proof!! your loyatly is a bit dis-kinective as well, but anyway this is not about loayalty, one of my friends gave me this link

funny coz in the video the guy says it's the cell from the ps3 oooh fun stuff

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

kowenicki said:

wasnt seece... it was me...

here you go...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/31/researchers-develop-a-360-degree-holographic-display/

from 2007.

there are plenty of others.... and already some commercial applications out in the wild if you care to take a proper look.

holographic is different from this tho, it is the next step surely you will agree, and sorry for mistaking you lolz, i must be on my time of the month i always go pro sony lolz

PS VITA = LIFE

Around the Network

quote "Whatever the price, buyers will get a choice of two models: the flagship 55in and 65in ZX900, and a lesser alternative starting at 46in. Focusing on the former, Toshiba said it will contain a 3.2GHz Cell chip with eight cores, all used to render standard definition content in HD with some very smart pixel generation that yields an image virtually indistinguishable from genuine 1080p material, Toshiba claimed."

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/01/06/ces_toshiba_cell_tv_intro/

PS VITA = LIFE

jneul said:

quote "Whatever the price, buyers will get a choice of two models: the flagship 55in and 65in ZX900, and a lesser alternative starting at 46in. Focusing on the former, Toshiba said it will contain a 3.2GHz Cell chip with eight cores, all used to render standard definition content in HD with some very smart pixel generation that yields an image virtually indistinguishable from genuine 1080p material, Toshiba claimed."

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/01/06/ces_toshiba_cell_tv_intro/

Since Toshiba designs and makes the cell chips, it is no surprise they would use it. I don't see anything technically good or bad about it, but from a business perspective it makes sense.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

40 degrees is a much smaller viewing angle than you people are aware. This is a 90 degree angle.

A 40 degree angle is, of course, less than half that. You cannot watch this TV from anywhere but a couch right in front of it basically. It's useless in anything but a full perfectly set home theater or a very small gaming/TV space with just a couple parallel chairs or a couch. No full living room/entertainment room would be able to view this.

jneul said:

since now you all know that glass-less huge tv's that are affordable and practical are years away i think we should just all gree that maybe haveing 3d tv with glasses is not such a bad thing afterall

Yeeah no thanks, I'd rather not waste 2 grand on a 3DTV only to have it be obsolete in 5 years, and then pay another 3 grand for a glassesless 3DTV. Plus I can't bring myself to wear those stupid glasses.

Good things come to those who wait I've found. I waited it out on getting a decent HDTV for a decent price and last year I've managed to score a 32 inch for only $300, when this same set probably would have costed me twice that had I ran out and got it 2 years earlier. Hell if I was REALLY  patient I'd just wait for holograms, but that's probably a good 30 years from now and even I can't wait that long.

Metallicube said:
jneul said:

since now you all know that glass-less huge tv's that are affordable and practical are years away i think we should just all gree that maybe haveing 3d tv with glasses is not such a bad thing afterall

Yeeah no thanks, I'd rather not waste 2 grand on a 3DTV only to have it be obsolete in 5 years, and then pay another 3 grand for a glassesless 3DTV. Plus I can't bring myself to wear those stupid glasses.

Good things come to those who wait I've found. I waited it out on getting a decent HDTV for a decent price and last year I've managed to score a 32 inch for only $300, when this same set probably would have costed me twice that had I ran out and got it 2 years earlier. Hell if I was REALLY  patient I'd just wait for holograms, but that's probably a good 30 years from now and even I can't wait that long.

I think tv upgrade after 5 yrs is normal. Why would you wait a few yrs to get someting bit cheaper? Life's too short.