By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Xbox 360 is not the last "Xbox" for Microsoft

Microsoft doesnt consider their $6 billion in losses over Xbox to really be losses. They consider it an investment. A long term investment.  Ironically just spent $6 billion in buying out an online advertising company Alquantive. Thats a loss in one day theoretically.

Anyways, Its hard to argue that the Xbox brand has forever secured itself in the game industry as one of the "big three". It has the mindshare amongst gamers to be a credible system to own. Imagine if Apple or Toshiba released a game system later this year. Would you buy it? Do you think that they would have the best and most games out of all the consoles? The Xbox brand now has that credibility to provide that to millions of gamers and and more importantly the mindshare amongst so many more people. You cant just buy that, that has to be won by the hearts and minds of so many gamers.

People question the lucrativeness of the games industry. This year, its expected to pass $40 billion dollars and $17 billion in the US. Although Microsoft is only getting a small percentage of that, you have to remember that they are still relatively new to the industry especially when compared to Nintendo.Nintendo has won over mindshare and fans for the last 25 years. They are a mature company that has created an empire in games. Mindshae for casuals the hardest won the win as they dont look at review scores, they dont care about graphics, they make purchasing decisions mostly on familarity much like how you will buy Coca Cola rather than brand X. Microsoft is not stupid, they know that they have to "start" with the hard core first as hard core gamers are more easily swayed by graphics, sound, review scores, etc. It will take alot more time to Microsoft to get to where Nintendo is, but its hard to deny their force in the gamming industry is not one to be ignored and it is surely growing. They have a permanant and credible positon already in the game industry and just being in it is like being an elite member of the most exclusive club in town that no one else is invited to. Microsoft will eventually earn ALL their money back and then some and probably wont throw away any lead they get like Sony just did as Im sure Microsoft is taking lots of notes in their quick pad of what NOT to do next generation and taking notes from Nintendo on what they NEED to do. 

Around the Network

An unsuccessful attempt at copying a previous joke. 3/10

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Game_boy said:

An unsuccessful attempt at copying a previous joke. 3/10

Word.

i think nobody thinks this is there last xbox

+1 for endurance

Time to Work !

Around the Network

I agree Microsoft is in this for the long haul but it better improve its console design quick. They can't afford to build a faulty x-box 720

Branko2166 said:
I agree Microsoft is in this for the long haul but it better improve its console design quick. They can't afford to build a faulty x-box 720

Yes they can.

Branko2166 said:

they can afford it,but they wont make the same mistake twice

No, Microsoft's pocket can afford it but the "Xbox" image cannot afford it if MS make the same crappy hardware as with the 360.

Bias much?

Seriously I agree that they have cared out a nieche in Video Games for themselves, but 2 profitable quarters in 8 years doesn't mean they will be reaping profits till the end of time and give up.

And I love how you characterize casuals as buying products solely based on familiarity . Guess that is why the PS3 is so dominant. I guess price/fun/availablitlity of casual games doesn't have anything to do with it.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt