By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MOVE - 300,000 Units Sold in First Ten Days!

binary solo said:
HappySqurriel said:

So, third parties won't abandon and bash the Playstation Move if it only sells a couple million units?

The PS3 already has a larger userbase than the Wii had with Wii Fit, and the PS Move might sell well compared to most games but its entire value is as a platform; and at the rate its selling third party publishers will not support it for very long.

At the rate it's selling? Average 150K increase in userbase per week. If it sells at that rate in the medium term I think 3rd party publishers will be more than happy to support it long term. The thing about a new platform is that it starts out with not many games, which means your one game will capture a larger share of a small install base, as opposed to later when there are many games and your one game will capture a smaller share of a larger install base. Resistance: FOM was the highest selling exclusive for a long time even though it launched on a low install base. Indeed it's still a higher selling exclusive than the other exclusive FPS franchise Killzone 2. So a small install base doesn't necessarily mean crap sales for good quality titles.

I think a lot of 3rd parties will hedge their bets for some time to come, making games that control either with Move or DS3, at least for their AAA titles. They can't ignore the DS3 only user base. This is where Move has the ability to not suffer greatly from the slow burn sales approach. Trouble is this also means 3rd parties who make Move only games are going to mostly release cheap to make (meaning shovelware in many cases) games in the hopes of making a profit at lower overall sales (and with Sony 1st party games selling for 2/3 of the normal HD game price it'll make it a challenge).

3rd parties also don't need to make Move exclusive games. There's another motion controller similar to Move that already has multi-million install base. As long as they don't try to give a Move version a complete HD make-over then the PS3 Move version of a PSWii multiplat is simply a smaller but additional revenue stream. Now that studios are having an easier time of making PS3 games the multiplating costs will be such that making a profitable PSWii motion control game won't be such a daunting task.

I don't think there's all that much risk with the slow burn strategy while Sony's first parties can, and do, support Move with quality titles. However things could go the way of Wii and 3rd parties.

I don't know whay people think there aren't the games to get people into Move. There are games in a variety of genres with Move functionality that appeal to a broad audience. I just wish R.U.S.E was doing better, I enjoyed the demo and plan to get it myself.

I agree. We aren't really going to be seeing Move only titles in any large numbers. However what we will see is a lot of talented studios doing a lot of experimentation and a lot of Move gameplay tacked onto or added into what are presently titles which are analogue only or analogue and keyboard / mouse only. There are a lot of studios whom will release content for Move and possibly Kinect in order to be ready for the next generation of gaming consoles. At this point in the cycle, no matter what really happens with Kinect and Move sales it is a worthwhile investment.

Tease.

Around the Network

Well, the country im living in counts only for a small portion of sales. but here in Austria, Vienna demand for Move is pretty high. At all the major retailers ive been to yesterday, Move was sold out (i checked back and was told they had initially approx 30 in store and having shipping problems right now). PS3 Move bundles where stil available though.

OT: i guess it will keep on selling decently. 300k is a start. nothing to cheer or moan about.

Wenn killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler killen, dann killen killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler.

jneul said:
HappySqurriel said:
jneul said:

haha at all the people saying 300k is not impressive didn;t you all pedict a lower number, also sony did say they expected a low turn out for move, so get over it, games like socom 4, mag, sorcery, time crisis, dead space 2, infamous 2 will encourage even more people to jump on the band wagon, and i still casn't see why 100% of the userbase that owns the eye wont buy move... but eventually when they can

i can't wait for japan sales... of move

Actually, I didn't predict anything ...

When you consider that Wii Fit sold 2 Million units in a similar time frame at a similar price and was sold out for months because demand was so (amazingly) high, selling 300,000 and being readily available everywhere should indicate that PS Move is not a particularly "hot" product. Certainly, we may see improved sales through Christmas, and renewed interest around game releases, but that doesn't mean that it will ever be a particularly popular product.

Yeah way to go lets compare everything to wii-fit one of the worst things to be released this generation imo(sales != quality), also wii was very popular by then, another food for thought sc sales is not far of

New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis

sales week aligned sales of course!! http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=30980 and that is without japan, so you wanna go away now??

Comparing Playstation Move to a revamped Mario Gamecube game... is supposed to make the move look good?

If it only sells as around as much as Mario Power Tennis... it would be in big trouble.

I mean, why even bother adding on Move controls for it.

Things like Splitscreen Multiplayer get dropped if there isn't a market for it because of expense.  A whole different control scheme I imagine has to be at least as expensive as Split screen.

It needs to push 5-10 million... and in a "relativly" short time I'd think, unless the plan is for it to just be relegated to a small side genre, like Singstar.  Though, different since Singstar I think has actually pushed like... 5 million for individual titles.

Kasz216 said:
jneul said:
HappySqurriel said:
jneul said:

haha at all the people saying 300k is not impressive didn;t you all pedict a lower number, also sony did say they expected a low turn out for move, so get over it, games like socom 4, mag, sorcery, time crisis, dead space 2, infamous 2 will encourage even more people to jump on the band wagon, and i still casn't see why 100% of the userbase that owns the eye wont buy move... but eventually when they can

When you consider that Wii Fit sold 2 Million units in a similar time frame at a similar price and was sold out for months because demand was so (amazingly) high, selling 300,000 and being readily available everywhere should indicate that PS Move is not a particularly "hot" product. Certainly, we may see improved sales through Christmas, and renewed interest around game releases, but that doesn't mean that it will ever be a particularly popular product.

Yeah way to go lets compare everything to wii-fit one of the worst things to be released this generation imo(sales != quality), also wii was very popular by then, another food for thought sc sales is not far of

sales week aligned sales of course!! http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=30980 and that is without japan, so you wanna go away now??

Comparing Playstation Move to a revamped Mario Gamecube game... is supposed to make the move look good?

If it only sells as around as much as Mario Power Tennis... it would be in big trouble.

Things like Splitscreen Multiplayer get dropped if there isn't a market for it because of expense.  A whole different control scheme I imagine has to be at least as expensive as Split screen.

It needs to push 5-10 million... and in a "relativly" short time I'd think, unless the plan is for it to just be relegated to a small side genre, like Singstar.  Though, different since Singstar I think has actually pushed like... 5 million for individual titles.

Move will be fine, don't worry about it...probably this holidays we will see 2M Moves sold.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

About what I expected for Move. I think Kinect will sell a lot more though.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
jneul said:
HappySqurriel said:
jneul said:

no i was talking about the sales of sports champions because ultimately software sales will decide the fate of ps move in some ways, in tohers not as much as we will stillget multiplaform games with move supoort added in, anyway move will do much better than that it should be at 2illion be christmas, it will have long legs

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:
Kasz216 said:
jneul said:
HappySqurriel said:
jneul said:

no i was talking about the sales of sports champions because ultimately software sales will decide the fate of ps move in some ways, in tohers not as much as we will stillget multiplaform games with move supoort added in, anyway move will do much better than that it should be at 2illion be christmas, it will have long legs

So, your comparing the sales of a PS move game to a revamped gamecube game... and that is supposed to make it look good....?

Kasz216 said:
jneul said:
HappySqurriel said:
jneul said:

Just to jump in here.

I'd imagine split screen multiplayer is a much larger endeavour then adding a new control scheme. In interviews with Move devs, they've stated it took them only a few weeks to get the Move control scheme up and running with their game.

As of right now, Move is literally just a new controller that requires the use of the PSEye.

Some games offer patched compatibility with it and future games will offer dual support for multiple control schemes, offering the best of options when used with games where motion controls are appropriate and add something to the playing experience.

But all guesses aside about future support, currently Move is what it is; a controller used with mostly casual games designed to demonstrate what developers could initially come up with in a relatively short period of time (short, considering that last year's E3 Move demonstration was literally just a series of rough tech demos).

There are already enough games in development that suggest Move will not remain in its current state. The real question is how well these games will be received as that will determine the quality of future support beyond the 1st year efforts.

i still dont have it.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good