By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Help me buy a new laptop

rocketpig said:
Tanstalas said:
theman88 said:

It needs to be less than $1600. I want performance so i am most likely going to go for an i7 processor, i just want it to be fast for a long time, have awesome speakers and decent battery life.... needs to look tight lol

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Intel® Core™ i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6M Cache
512MB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M
15.6-inch WideHD 1600x900 (900p) WLED
6GB Memory (1x 2GB, 1x 4GB DDR3)
500GB SATAII 7,200RPM
Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD -RW, CD-RW)
Primary - 6-cell (56Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery
Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card
Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
Internal Bluetooth 2.1 Mini-Card - 2.1 Enhanced Data Rate

$1,399

If he wants battery life, he needs to stay away from that quad core i7. It's a great desktop chip but suffers in a laptop.

He said he wanted an i7

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Around the Network

I do want an i7   decent battery life is all i want  2 hours or so of pure use should be fine. I know you can get more but i would have to sacrifice the speed that i want in my computer. Everytime i use my laptop anyway I have my AC adaptor   so a 2 hour life or so is fine  but i do want it to be portable   the alienware isnt exactly that   it weighs like 10 pounds and is 2 inches thick

theman88 said:

I do want an i7   decent battery life is all i want  2 hours or so of pure use should be fine. I know you can get more but i would have to sacrifice the speed that i want in my computer. Everytime i use my laptop anyway I have my AC adaptor   so a 2 hour life or so is fine  but i do want it to be portable   the alienware isnt exactly that   it weighs like 10 pounds and is 2 inches thick

Hah, two hours is decent battery life for you? That changes a lot... when I hear "decent life", I expect at least 4-5 hours.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

theman88 said:

It's only 9 pounds, are you a man or a mouse? :P

And you can also get the 9 cell battery for it for $100 more, would put you around the 2 hour mark.

That notebook is a desktop replacement.

They also have "baby" alienware notebooks.  11" screen

Height: 32.7mm (1.29 inches)
Width: 285.7mm (11.25 inches)
Depth: 233.3mm (9.19 inches)
Preliminary Weight: Start at 1.99kg (4.39 lbs)

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos