By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are games selling so poorly on PS3?

You know Resistance was never a packin but yes MotorStorm was.

1. The reason why it isnt selling so well in America is because of the 360 and Wii. People buy those consoles more then the PS3 so when games are multiplatform they pick up the 360 version or Wii. Oh and the install base is so small here. Also dont forget people are using there money on 3rd party games like Call of Duty 4 and Assassins Creed because there more popular and bigger games.

2. I think its selling poorly in Japan is because they have had no major J-RPGs there. Thats what sells very well over there. Most of the games that were released for the PS3 are mostly American made. The big company's like Square Enix or Capcom havent released a big PS3 game yet. I dont even think they have released a PS3 game yet. Plus most of the J-RPGs are still being made for the PS2.

3. For Europe the PS3 is killing. It might not be killing in Hardware (it is doing well though) but it is murdering in software. Hell it has half an install base of the 360 and its selling more games.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Around the Network
kcua_626 said:
I don't know why people always argue that if a game sells poorly on the PS3, it must be because of the smaller install base than the 360.

If you look at it, with the relatively smaller game library of the PS3, it should definitely have a higher attachment rate than the X360 which has a larger library of games.

As a platform increases it's games library, it's attachment rate naturally decreases. In a platform with a relatively small library of games and the market not saturated yet, I expect Uncharted, R&C, etc... considering they are AAA+ titles, to have an attachment rate of no less than 20% in the first 2 weeks. That's why I think Uncharted and the likes aren't really selling good. They're selling decently but not good.

actually i think as time passes the attach rate increases because the games have a longer time to sell,i mean ps2's attach rate didnt start a 10 games per console right

@endurance

I don't mean the sales to date but the attachment rate at launch. I mean look at Uncharted, it was one of the overly hyped games out there and it has less than 10% attachment rate (NA) in it's first two weeks (I don't consider the first week it appeared in Vgchartz as launch week)

As many have said it's hard for PS3 to sell a lot becouse of quite small userbase.

But it is also important to notice that PS3 systems are splited between 3 main terretories more equal than X360. For a X360 game to sell a million in generally have to be succesful in America. For PS3 it is harder becouse all 3 regions have different tastes and PS3 don't have enough systems in any region to make a million seller in just one region. If a game won't be a hit in at least 2 regions it has very little chance to be a million seller. Also becouse Japanese tastes are completly different than European's and American's in fact a million-seller needs to sell good in Europe and America and Japan help is close to nothing.
Games like Fifa 08, PES 08, Madden 08 could have a chance to break a million but they are selling in only one region so it won't be that easy for them.

^^

Good point,

That's why I don't consider Uncharted a flop in Japan as it wasn't developed with the Japanese audience in mind in the first place. But the small userbase shouldn't be an excuse at least in NA.

Around the Network
kcua_626 said:
@endurance

I don't mean the sales to date but the attachment rate at launch. I mean look at Uncharted, it was one of the overly hyped games out there and it has less than 10% attachment rate (NA) in it's first two weeks (I don't consider the first week it appeared in Vgchartz as launch week)

The first week it was released was only to people who pre-ordered and the second was to everyone. Just think if they released it at the same time in one week the game would have sold around 110,000 copys.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

kamil said:

Games like Fifa 08, PES 08, Madden 08 could have a chance to break a million but they are selling in only one region so it won't be that easy for them.

Actually PES08 performance in Japan is more than satisfying.

PS3 games are selling fine. It is the PS3 hardware that is lagging behind. (although is is doing much better as of late)

@roadkillers

That's why I don't consider the first week it appeared in VGChartz as the launch week. I considered its number now in NA Charts, even though it says 3 weeks, as the total it sold in 2 weeks which is 186,407.

roadkillers said:
You know Resistance was never a packin but yes MotorStorm was.

1. The reason why it isnt selling so well in America is because of the 360 and Wii. People buy those consoles more then the PS3 so when games are multiplatform they pick up the 360 version or Wii. Oh and the install base is so small here. Also dont forget people are using there money on 3rd party games like Call of Duty 4 and Assassins Creed because there more popular and bigger games.

2. I think its selling poorly in Japan is because they have had no major J-RPGs there. Thats what sells very well over there. Most of the games that were released for the PS3 are mostly American made. The big company's like Square Enix or Capcom havent released a big PS3 game yet. I dont even think they have released a PS3 game yet. Plus most of the J-RPGs are still being made for the PS2.

3. For Europe the PS3 is killing. It might not be killing in Hardware (it is doing well though) but it is murdering in software. Hell it has half an install base of the 360 and its selling more games.

Actually resistance and motorstorm were packins for the starter bundles that they released in Europe during the summerish times.  It was their way of compensating for the first price down in the US I believe.