By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are you happy with the way VGC tracks Move sales ?

Are you happy with the way VGC tracks Move sales ?

No. They should track total # of units sold. 53 32.92%

Yes ! Its fine. 78 48.45%

Include the real number sold in brackets ! 30 18.63%

Total:161

Correct me if I'm wrong..VGC tracks how many households will have access to a functional Move controller, therefore if a customer buys more than one it would'nt count because with just one controller his household is classified that he can buy a Move game. This number is important for devs as they can see how much a Move game can sell in respect to the number of households who have atleast one functional Move controller. That makes sense.

But then on the other hand, people want to see how many individual Move controllers are sold, regardless if a PSeye is sold along with it, because Kinect, with current Move numbers and method of sales count, would have a sales number advatage. Which also makes sense.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:

Correct me if I'm wrong..VGC tracks how many households will have access to a functional Move controller, therefore if a customer buys more than one it would'nt count because with just one controller his household is classified that he can buy a Move game. This number is important for devs as they can see how much a Move game can sell in respect to the number of households who have atleast one functional Move controller. That makes sense.

But then on the other hand, people want to see how many individual Move controllers are sold, regardless if a PSeye is sold along with it, because Kinect, with current Move numbers and method of sales count, would have a sales number advatage. Which also makes sense.

I didn't knew that you could use more than one kinect with a X360.

Right on.

ioi said:
thismeintiel said:

Oh ok, I just had the reasoning with the standalone controllers reversed.  You've subtracted the ones you feel are bought as additional controllers.  Sorry, for confusing that.

But still, my point stands (although slightly altered).  Wouldn't have been better to put it more like: So first week Move HW sales across America and Europe stand at ~ 185K.  Furthermore, by using bundle sales and historical controller attachment rates, we've estimated that there are ~ 140K unique Move setups in various homes.

Looking at it now, both numbers are very important to developers.  The 140K for obvious reasons.  But the 185K also shows them how many homes may be set up for simultaneous multiplayer, as well as games requiring 2 Moves to play (The Fight).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I don't see how the 185k figure really means anything? Is it significant that there are probably something like 100m Xbox 360 controllers out there or 150m Wii remotes or 90m PS3 controllers?

The point of the article is to give figures on Move hardware in a way that it can be compared directly to Kinect and Wii.

If by the end of 2010 we have 80m Wiis, 3m Kinects and 1.5m Move units out there (or whatever the figures end up being) then that is what a developer will be looking at when deciding which platform to place a new game on (along with many other factors of course) - the potential maximum userbase.

The 185K is important because it shapes the decisions a developer may make about their game.  Will they support simultaneous multiplayer?  Will they make games that require 2 controllers?  If the Move sells 2 mil "setups", but only maybe a 100,000 additional Move controllers, then the answer most likely will be no.  Especially, if they were thinking of making a game requiring 2 Moves.  But if the Move sells 2 mil setups, with an additional 1 mil Move controllers, then the answer will most likely be yes.

Also, if the Move is a relative success at all, I think most developers that want to make a motion game (and if they want to reach the HD crowd) they would put it on the Wii and the PS3.

I think it should be tracked as a percentage of Mplus units. It still helps devs and investors and will annoy Sony fans even more.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

@pyro as bill I for one am a Sony fan and I would like to see Motion by itself tracked, im curious to see how many are sold singulary, considering most of the games that support it suck.

as long as they keep tracking Move controllers sold period im good, ill add it myself and let others argue over "user base" how much people got it like that to buy 2 50 dollar controllers anyway??? the #s cant be that big

Kynes said:
Solid-Stark said:

You can't. One Kinect sold is one kinect sold, however 2 Move controllers sold with one PSeye is only one Move sold. See the sale number advantage people are complaining about.

I don't care much for Move/Kinect sales. Let alone the console war. Gamer first.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

I think people are going a little crazy.  If you would count all controllers, Move would probably woop Kinect as 2 people need 2 controllers, Kinect still needs 1.  Leave it as you are doing it, and I'll be happy.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Solid-Stark said:
Kynes said:
Solid-Stark said:

You can't. One Kinect sold is one kinect sold, however 2 Move controllers sold with one PSeye is only one Move sold. See the sale number advantage people are complaining about.

I don't care much for Move/Kinect sales. Let alone the console war. Gamer first.

I don't get why Kinect is going to have a sale number advantage, one kinect bought means one X360 kinect capable, one PSeye plus four move controllers means one PS3 capable, not four. It's absurd to compare sales of kinect and move any other way, this one is the only one which has any relevant meaning.

Counting move controllers individually it's mostly for number wars, because most people already know which motion controller method is probable to sell more.