By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are you happy with the way VGC tracks Move sales ?

Are you happy with the way VGC tracks Move sales ?

No. They should track total # of units sold. 53 32.92%

Yes ! Its fine. 78 48.45%

Include the real number sold in brackets ! 30 18.63%

Total:161
Fufinu said:
scottie said:
Fufinu said:
ioi said:
VXIII said:

But then suppose that I buy a new PS3 becuase of YLOD. I suppose that developers/companies/you would still be interested in userbase in that case as I would only be able to buy 1 game but not 2. Argument has been posted before with quite significant frequency in relation to hardware malfunction.

Twisted logic there.

PS3s replaced due to out of warranty failures still count as a sale according to VGChartz

PSeyes replaced due to out of warranty failures still count as a sale according to VGChartz

Additional PS3 controllers bought do NOT count as a sale according to VGChartz

Additional Move controllers bought do NOT count as a sale according to VGChartz

Sounds pretty consistent and sensible to me. What exactly was your problem again?

Discussion centered around the idea that userbase is what matters for Move. Definitely not so for consoles. Pretty simple logic here.

for move it's much easier to estimate... for consoles as IoI said, you have people buying different SKUs and out of warranty failure rates (which are significant this gen for both HD consoles).

You could do an estimate though... remove 20% of 360 sales and 10% of PS3 sales due to failures... (also because of the youtube videos of guys owning 50 of them :-p ), then take of an other 10% of each for different SKUs (should be about equal, 360 had more custom 360ies, but the slim was on sale longer). And also a 10% chunk off the PS3 for people using it mainly as a BR player (the only people arround me with a PS3 uses it for that exclusively...)..... conclusion: this clearly makes the Wii a market leader...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
scottie said:
Fufinu said:
scottie said:
Fufinu said:
ioi said:
VXIII said:

Discussion centered around the idea that userbase is what matters for Move. Definitely not so for consoles. Pretty simple logic here.

Wait, why does userbase not matter for consoles?

it is not that it doesnt matter... its that nobody know what the real install base is...

see ioi and his DS example above....

That will also be true for kinect and the PSeye - there will be some gathering dust, some broken and some people that buy two if they ever bring out a 2nd model

probably easier to track it by number of Move specific software sales I'd rekon, then run it through some ratio or formula when one becomes available to see the sales of Move per person than count every Move controller sold

400 000 copys of "x" sold should be a good indication that there are at least 400 000 move controllers out there.

however that will just get crazy because not every Move controller owner is going to buy every move enabled game so i dunno

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

kowenicki said:
scottie said:
kowenicki said:
scottie said:
Fufinu said:
scottie said:
Fufinu said:
ioi said:
VXIII said:

it is not that it doesnt matter... its that nobody know what the real install base is...

see ioi and his DS example above....

That will also be true for kinect and the PSeye - there will be some gathering dust, some broken and some people that buy two if they ever bring out a 2nd model

Yes... perhaps. But clearly not in the first few months and this is about trying to gauge adoption rates.   Clealry if one person buys 3 controllers for his home use then the install base is 1 not 3... where is the issue?

This is the only way to do it.

I agree, weren't you saying exactly the opposite in the previous post?

its fine, as long as they list the sale of total stand alone move controllers. as i and many people will only get the controller and the nav(or use a dualshock 3) to play games like kz3, infamous 2 and socom 4 which dont require a ps eye.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network
zgamer5 said:

its fine, as long as they list the sale of total stand alone move controllers. as i and many people will only get the controller and the nav(or use a dualshock 3) to play games like kz3, infamous 2 and socom 4 which dont require a ps eye.

erm you still need the eye for move to work.

Since when did VGC keep track of peripheral records?

wait how are vgc tracking it?

i agree with ioi its just a controller we shouldnt really be tracking the move itself

but the 99$ bundle that comes with a game should be tracked since theres SW with it and the 320gb HW bundles

also not a fan of all these ratios and % if theres no real data from retailers bout how much they sold even for othere stuff like HW and SW sales if it was me i wouldnt try assuming things like that

Play Me

enrageorange said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

I'm not unhappy with Move numbers....in fact, I couldn't care less for it.

if that were the case, this thread wouldn't exist, or would be posted by someone else. Someone who couldn't care less might reply to a thread like this, but certainly not make the thread. Some people obviously don't like the way sales are tracked because they wish to flaunt move sales in the future, and this method obviously makes that a lot more difficult.

I like being told about what I care about from random people.

I'm just a sales enthusiast. I'm a guy who like checking the weekly sales of the nearest game about to get to 1 million sold even though he has never played it.

I think the general method is absolutely fine, the only thing that might be wrong about it is the estimation how many percent of standalone Move controllers were sold to people who already own a Playstation eye and not as secondary controllers. That number can currently only be guessed I think, so it could be quite a bit different.

What I find quite surprising by the way is the significantly different ratio of starter packs/standalone move controllers.

In Europe they sold 70000 starter packs but only 30000 move controllers (233%)

In the Americas they sold only 50000 starter packs, but 35000 move controllers (142%)

I would have expected that the average number of additional move controllers bought is rather similar between Europe and the US.