By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's your point of view in the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bomb?

Videogirl said:
PearlJam said

They weren't exactly the nicest people during the war either. The Nazis are seen as monster (they were), but hardly anyone mentions the bullshit that Japan was responsible for during that war. They were as bad as the Nazis and in some cases even worse. Hirohito and his people got off easy, the whole country got off pretty easy if you ask me.

The Western Capitalist powers needed a strong base in Asia, and they needed to show that their system could work in Asia. I think it worked out in the end.

The Japanese soldiers committed attrocities in China and Korea, they killed thousands of people, raped, tortured and what not. The Nazis have done the same with the Jews, The French troups composed with Morrocans, Tunisians and Algerians in the Campain of Italy raped everything from little girls, to pregnant and old women and men along their way and slaughtered them. The Soviets that entered Berlin raped all the women from 9 to 99 years old. American GI's have also raped something like 17000 German women. 

But all these war crimes don't justify to drop A-Bombs on civilians.

Interesting that American GI's raped 17,000 women. The Russians raped 2 million.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

And it starts... Grab your popcorn, people!

My Wii Friend Code is: 6458-0869-2019-9754

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is: 1891-1193-6272

And my Pokemon White Friend Code is: 2408-6863-8559

PM me with your corresponding code if you Friend me!

PearlJam said:

Yes people always forget about the Soviet factor. They didn't help against Japan right away because they wanted to see if the Americans could handle it, and they felt they had done enough in Europe. After the Soviets saw that the Americans were going to struggle for a while, they declared war against Japan. Just imagine what would have happend if you had the Red army invade from the North, and the Americans come in from the South. This would have dragged on and the Soviets would have let the Americans take the majority of the casaulties, since the Soviets always felt that the other allies used them as cannon fodder for the Germans.

Japan would have been torn to shreds, and the people (specially women) would have suffered in terrible ways. Just look at how the Russian army raped the shit out of Germany after they were occupying them. The bombings were bad, but the other options were far worse.

what?  It was America and Britain that purposefully didn't invade Berlin even though they arrived first and let the soviets do it alone, which cost Russia 500,000 casualties, more than the US lost in the ENTIRE WAR.  Although indeed Russia was a part of the reason they dropped the bomb, certainly the second bomb.  They didn't want Russia to come to Japan but not for the reasons you say.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

We know that Stalin killed more people than Germany and Japan put together, so his possible expansion in Japan could have been the worst horror for that country, but in that precise period USSR was in a condition so terrible that it couldn't have afforded any military effort more than invading Eastern Europe (again, as it already did it, on a lesser scale, when it was still on friendly terms with Nazi Germany, after the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact), with the excuse of freeing it from a German Army that by then was already falling to pieces under the American attacks on the Western and Southern front and for its own demented and suicide strategic and logistic errors on the Eastern one.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

The Japanese went wayyyy out of their way to attack Pearl Harbour. It was totally warrented.

Around the Network

I think it was needed as more lives would have been lost if the battle kept going.And japan is also guilty of commiting  atrocious war crimes.You have to look at it from both side. I don't think anyone came out the "winner"

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

jezze_jamez said:

The Japanese went wayyyy out of their way to attack Pearl Harbour. It was totally warrented.

It was a strategic military move that they knew they needed to get naval superiority for a while.  It would have worked better if they got the aircraft carriers but they were gone at the time.  The death of 1,000 military and some blown up ships is not anything like killing 300,000 civilians and wiping out entire cities.

Imperialism was something the Japanese learned from the Europeans, they became the country they were by emulating them.  At the time the French, Britain and Germany had colonies all over the world, and Japan with its lack of natural resources knew it couldn't be powerful without expanding.  All around the world even in the US racial superiority was something people believed in or wanted to.  It spread all around the world in the first half of the century.  None of this was stuff that originated in Japan, they simply copied others which is what they had been doing ever since the US came and forced them to open up for trade.

If the US never opened up Japan or Japan didn't westernize and industrialize then they probably would have ended up as a colony for one of the western powers instead.  

That doesn't excuse anything they did but it should give you an idea of how things became the way they did and why they thought they had to do what they did at the time.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

jezze_jamez said:

The Japanese went wayyyy out of their way to attack Pearl Harbour. It was totally warrented

Yeah but apprently the US president and his advisors let them do it. You have to remember that at that time Roosevelt was despretaly trying to convince the people that America needed to enter the war, but was opposed by a strong isolationist lobby led among others by Lindbergh, and the majority of Americans didn't care about what was happening in Europe and wanted the US to stay out of this mess.

It is now known that British and Australians had decyphered the JN-25 (japanese navy encrypting code), and were informed of the plan the Japanese had to attack an american base in the Pacific. They even knew one week prior the attack, that a Japanese fleet had left the Kouril Islands in a mission to strike Pearl Harbour. Chruchill who was also informed probably passed the world to Roosevelt. The attack arrived just at the right time to change the mind of the American people.

bazmeistergen said:

A lot of you are presuming the idea that the war would have continued if not for nukes. The allies could have accepted a conditional surrender. That would have saved even more lives, but lives were not necessarily the priority.

US 'national' interests were served by the bombs being dropped as it helped to bring about an unconditional surrender and thus an occupation.

The US did give Marshall Aid to Europe whilst the Soviets drained resources from their areas. No surprises from both sides there really, given their respective experiences of war; both sides served their perceived 'national' interests from their own perceived world view.

Most information available supports the idea that nukes were the only real way to end the war before the Soviets arrived. Information wasn't as easily available back then as it is now, and the Japanese leaders would not have been aware of what was actually happening to civillians in occupied Germany. I doubt they could have reached any kind of agreement before the Russians could get there. And with Soviet Russians, once they're in good luck getting them out.

Had the Russians invaded, it would have been far worse for this country than a few ancient nukes. This isn't Korea, Russians hated the Japanese and held a grudge almost as bad as they did against Germans. As bad as the bombs were, people should think about what could have happened if the country had been split in two and taken for a Cold-War ride like Germany, Vietnam and Korea.

JUST one thing, the russians defeated the nazis NOT the US, 7 out 8 germans soldiers wich died in WW2  were killed by the russians.