By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why everyone should root for the Wii

has any Nin handheld ever done not good ?

Wii is a videogame console right.... "games" Wii cant compete with games like GT5 Halo3 FF13 .... wii could neever even run these games.

Once the love affair with the gimmick controller runs out wii is screwd.

Except most of the public doesn't care about GT5 Halo 3 or FF13, if they did they'd have been gamers before, they like Wii's accessibility, the way anyone can get into the game

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
That Guy said:

Hus, can't you be happy with just owning your PS3 and not bashing other people or their systems? What is it that makes you feel uncomfortable when someone posts something that is Pro-Wii?  Its fine to be Pro- whomever and people will spend their money on whatever they want. Why so much animosity?

If you think the thread/post is pointless then don't bother reading or posting in it!

Don't turn this into a flamefest ok? This will begin it.

Predicting the Future - 360 Will get to 11 Million in the USA this year!!

Predicting the Future - Wii will NOT win this gen in America!!

Prediciting the Future - The PS3 will pass the Wii by 2009!!

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Wii is a videogame console right.... "games" Wii cant compete with games like GT5 Halo3 FF13 .... wii could neever even run these games.

Except most of the public doesn't care about GT5 Halo 3 or FF13, if they did they'd have been gamers before, they like Wii's accessibility, the way anyone can get into the game

LOL

So Americans dont care about Halo......wow.

That Guy said:

Hus, can't you be happy with just owning your PS3 and not bashing other people or their systems? What is it that makes you feel uncomfortable when someone posts something that is Pro-Wii? Its fine to be Pro- whomever and people will spend their money on whatever they want. Why so much animosity?

If you think the thread/post is pointless then don't bother reading or posting in it!

what bashing...

funny how all the wii fans cant handle anyone not likeling the gimmick controller.

Hus said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

LOL

Halo 2 sold less than 8 million WW that's not that much, only about 1/3 of the Xbox install base bought it

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Hus said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

LOL

Halo 2 sold less than 8 million WW that's not that much, only about 1/3 of the Xbox install base bought it

wow just wow.... 

8 mill not that much... 6 mil in usa, $120,000,000 milion in one day.

Hus said:

wow just wow.... 

8 mill not that much... 6 mil in usa, $120,000,000 milion in one day.

8 million is not that much when you take into account all the people who didn't buy it by comparison Nintendogs sold 12.09 million, that's the strength of DS and Wii they appeal to much larger groups of people

Hus said:
ranzchic said:

It's simple, really. Once the Wii is successful at what it was sent out to do, everyone wins, especially the graphic whores.

Massive penetration into the mainstream means actual justification for mega hundred million budget for games. $40 million($20M promotions, $20M actual game production) for Lost Planet was already considered too high. Imagine what they could do with $100 million for production alone. More customers will ultimately mean considerably cheaper software, considerably cheaper systems(imagine the PS3 at $300 right out of the gate) and accesories because a larger number of people are footing the bill. Why do you think movies, even though they cost considerably more to make than videogames cost less to enjoy? $50 vs $10-$20. Yup, it's because the market is significantly larger than the videogame industry.

It also means more people would enter the industry, more creative talents, more games(yes, even more games that graphic whores will like), more "art" videogames(if you thought Okami was the pinnacle of arthouse style video games, you haven't seen nothing yet) and actual stories with actual depth, not some cliched mess. With all due respect to talented videgame developers out there, save for a few legendary ones that are almost godlike anyways, the industry could use more Steven Spielbergs and more Quentin Tarrantinos. The industry should be able sustain more people of similar pedigree if the Wii is succesful at expanding the market.

The Wii was sent out to bake that larger pie for the whole industry. I suppose some belt tightening is in order. You won't see the immediate effects of the Wii, probably not this generation. It's not capable of Gears of War, Halo 3, MGS4 kind of graphics after all. But the future of videogames might just become brighter, thanks to the little bugger that would.

Wii wont even get near PS2 sales.... fads runs out of steam fast!

whole post is pointless. 

Out of curiousity, what do you consider "fast"? cuz the wii is at 4 months and counting with no sign of slowing down....

For the gaming industry as a whole people should be rooting for all 3 to be succesful as someone pointed out if they want biggest choice possible, if only wii is succesful then futur of gaming is on the MD controlers and traditional gamers will be left out, and its anyones guess as to how much potential the wii does or does not have arguing over that wont get anywhere.

Hus said:
ranzchic said:

Why do you think movies, even though they cost considerably more to make than videogames cost less to enjoy? $50 vs $10-$20. Yup, it's because the market is significantly larger than the videogame industry.

2006 Usa box office Movie $9.49-billion

USA Vieogames - $12.00 Billion

LMFAO yep significantly larger than the videogame industry, i wont bother with the rest.

That's my point, even though I have beef with your numbers(is $9 billion the profit or the revenue cause the $12B figure is probably the whole worth of the American gaming industry, not profits), more people shelling out money means consumers can pay 50% less and the companies can still make the same amount of money.

And the $12B figure most likely includes hardware, so you should include the price of Home theaters, TVs and DVD players to your Movie figures.

I like Kwaad more than you.