By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dungeon Siege 3 preview

Slimebeast said:

I hope they get this game out before Diablo 3 or else sales will be hurt.

I don't think they have to worry about that. I doubt Diablo 3 will be coming out before 2012.

The BuShA owns all!

Around the Network
DarkisWR said:
zarx said:

drop in drop out co op should be interesting to see how they handle it, I mean co-op isn't exactly new to the series the first two had online co-op.

anyway some links to a bit more info

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/110/1108572p1.html

http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6270864/fallout-devs-on-thinking-inside-the-box/

EDIT: another link http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6274184/dungeon-siege-iii-impressions/?tag=newsfeatures;title;1

and some more thoughts. My main concern at the moment is they may be overly dumbing the game down for casuals and consoles. I mean it was never exactly the most hardcore RPG series so further dumbing down may make it uninteresting but there is always hope lol.

I'm sorry...but...get off the dumbing down thing..espicaly for consoles. You saying that reeks  pc elitist.

You need to understand ds1..ds2...dblo 1/2...they are not complicated..infact..it's point and click....and party wise from ds1 to ds2...it was over simplified.

If anything..from what i've seen 1st hand..and got to read from devs posting on thier forums..is....it's fablefied...combat is very streamlined and more actiony...not many gamers are into the d&d type rule sets etc..much less the dragon age like combat..hence the combat change in DRgn Age 2.

I'm sure folks will miss the koolness of party management(i will sigh) etc...but waaay back in 2006 chris said ds3*when he was still gonna do it* he was ditching it for more action feel etc.

Take it this way...the only real benchmark they can go against atm is sacred 2...and hell...yeah..not hard to beat.

And yeah D3..end of 2011/early2012..and watch..it'll be on consoles.

look when a dev starts saying that they are streamlining a series for consoles which I would already the series a dumbed down simple, tactical RPG, I start to get worried a bit. From the sound of things the tactical element has already been lost in favour of a console friendly action based system. But I am ok with that as long as it adds depth to the game play to replace the loss of tactics. If they just add click/press to attack with no depth then that will turn me off unless the story is fantastic. My other fear is that they will gimp the UI on pc like games like Oblivion did, the fact that you can play using a 360 controller pretty much says that the UI on PC will have to be controller friendly. And possibly the worst of all loss of mod support. The modding community for DS1 was great and I would like to see a return of that aspect, especially as that could allow me to fix issues like consoleisd  UI and add longevity to the game. I am not saying that the game shouldn't be on consoles or that the changes to gameplay couldn't end up improving the game, just that I am hoping that the game won't be made worse.

If that makes me a PC elitist then fine, just because I want the best possible game on my platform of choice shouldn't be a bad thing. I have nothing against them bringing it to consoles as long as the game is still great on PC. I mean it's not like DS 1&2 have much complexity to lose TBH and I would hope that they would add rather than subtract. But I do have hope and that is why I made this thread maybe in streamlining the game it will end up better. I mean the added story sounds great and the more open world is welcome I just hope the gameplay and RPG depth is there to back it up or at least not less deep than 1&2.

p.s. well there is a chance of Diablo 3 going to consoles I don't think it is likely to and if it does it will probably be a late port like Diablo 1 to play station was. But lack of LAN play makes me weary of D3 anyway should still be a great game tho, and it won't suffer from B.net 2.0 as starcraft 2 is at the moment, and in saying that SC2 is still my favourite game this year.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
DarkisWR said:
zarx said:

drop in drop out co op should be interesting to see how they handle it, I mean co-op isn't exactly new to the series the first two had online co-op.

http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6270864/fallout-devs-on-thinking-inside-the-box/

EDIT: another link http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6274184/dungeon-siege-iii-impressions/?tag=newsfeatures;title;1

and some more thoughts. My main concern at the moment is they may be overly dumbing the game down for casuals and consoles. I mean it was never exactly the most hardcore RPG series so further dumbing down may make it uninteresting but there is always hope lol.

I'm sorry...but...get off the dumbing down thing..espicaly for consoles. You saying that reeks  pc elitist.

You need to understand ds1..ds2...dblo 1/2...they are not complicated..infact..it's point and click....and party wise from ds1 to ds2...it was over simplified.

If anything..from what i've seen 1st hand..and got to read from devs posting on thier forums..is....it's fablefied...combat is very streamlined and more actiony...not many gamers are into the d&d type rule sets etc..much less the dragon age like combat..hence the combat change in DRgn Age 2.

I'm sure folks will miss the koolness of party management(i will sigh) etc...but waaay back in 2006 chris said ds3*when he was still gonna do it* he was ditching it for more action feel etc.

Take it this way...the only real benchmark they can go against atm is sacred 2...and hell...yeah..not hard to beat.

look when a dev starts saying that they are streamlining a series for consoles which I would already the series a dumbed down simple, tactical RPG, I start to get worried a bit. From the sound of things the tactical element has already been lost in favour of a console friendly action based system. But I am ok with that as long as it adds depth to the game play to replace the loss of tactics. If they just add click/press to attack with no depth then that will turn me off unless the story is fantastic. My other fear is that they will gimp the UI on pc like games like Oblivion did, the fact that you can play using a 360 controller pretty much says that the UI on PC will have to be controller friendly. And possibly the worst of all loss of mod support. The modding community for DS1 was great and I would like to see a return of that aspect, especially as that could allow me to fix issues like consoleisd  UI and add longevity to the game. I am not saying that the game shouldn't be on consoles or that the changes to gameplay couldn't end up improving the game, just that I am hoping that the game won't be made worse.

If that makes me a PC elitist then fine, just because I want the best possible game on my platform of choice shouldn't be a bad thing. I have nothing against them bringing it to consoles as long as the game is still great on PC. I mean it's not like DS 1&2 have much complexity to lose TBH and I would hope that they would add rather than subtract. But I do have hope and that is why I made this thread maybe in streamlining the game it will end up better. I mean the added story sounds great and the more open world is welcome I just hope the gameplay and RPG depth is there to back it up or at least not less deep than 1&2.

p.s. well there is a chance of Diablo 3 going to consoles I don't think it is likely to and if it does it will probably be a late port like Diablo 1 to play station was. But lack of LAN play makes me weary of D3 anyway should still be a great game tho, and it won't suffer from B.net 2.0 as starcraft 2 is at the moment, and in saying that SC2 is still my favourite game this year.

Well you got some good points..guessing your comments seemed less negative and demeaning then they seemed to me.

I never found Diablo that complicated...more soo seeing how D3 is..4 player co-op drop in drop out etc...not only that it'll be using*shudders* bsuck 2.0*it's kewl but..well...if they take out lan etc which is 99% sure they will...sigh*

We don't need a million hot keys for a rpg to be hard core etc..oblivion is really great...but there is a many option for a game pad*not saying oblivion is hardcore...in fact...what rpg is hardcore...guessing only baldurs gate 1/2..and nw1/2?*

Have you seens the threads and dev's post on thier forums?

Game is 1st most made for pc. not sure if serious on them saying its being co devd and not ported for consoles...

If they add great looks...deep story options..strong customazation..random dungeons...nice match making..consoles will be blessed and infact...since sacred 2..all we really have pc wise is torchlight..

As for modding...geez..I still have soo many mods I made on floppy disk*im soo old it seems..* for DS1.

Don't get your hopes high for complexity. From hands on for D3 and from what seems to capture the most marekt..streamlined fast fun loot and action is taking the day...just look at new vegas and dragon age 2.

DarkisWR said:
zarx said:
DarkisWR said:
zarx said:

Well you got some good points..guessing your comments seemed less negative and demeaning then they seemed to me.

I never found Diablo that complicated...more soo seeing how D3 is..4 player co-op drop in drop out etc...not only that it'll be using*shudders* bsuck 2.0*it's kewl but..well...if they take out lan etc which is 99% sure they will...sigh*

We don't need a million hot keys for a rpg to be hard core etc..oblivion is really great...but there is a many option for a game pad*not saying oblivion is hardcore...in fact...what rpg is hardcore...guessing only baldurs gate 1/2..and nw1/2?*

Have you seens the threads and dev's post on thier forums?

Game is 1st most made for pc. not sure if serious on them saying its being co devd and not ported for consoles...

If they add great looks...deep story options..strong customazation..random dungeons...nice match making..consoles will be blessed and infact...since sacred 2..all we really have pc wise is torchlight..

As for modding...geez..I still have soo many mods I made on floppy disk*im soo old it seems..* for DS1.

Don't get your hopes high for complexity. From hands on for D3 and from what seems to capture the most marekt..streamlined fast fun loot and action is taking the day...just look at new vegas and dragon age 2.

yea it's a shame about the lack of LAN play in bnet 2.0 I still hold a slim hope that blizz will say fk U activision we are putting in LAN lol. 

as for complexity I am not hoping for like WoW level quick bar action with 12 skills etc, I just I want some battle depth to replace the tactics options. the DS games as I said were never complex games and I enjoyed the first one, not so much the second lol.

what's funny is dungeon crawlers are coming into fashion ATM with DS3, diablo 3, Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2, Dark spore, Din's curse, path of exile and Mythos. Admittedly some are MMOs but still it's a lot of games in that style

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Been a while singe v'e played a good rpg. Shaping up really nice.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

Around the Network

a bit late but still interesting there is an interview with Chris Taylor on RPS that covers DS3.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/14/interview-chris-taylor-on-dungeon-siege-3/#more-38877

@TheVoxelman on twitter