By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NBA JAM - no online for wii version confirmed

I think that after this, when Nintendo announces a new console, some fanboys will start a campaign of not buying any games from EA, not even Madden. From all I have read, while the news made many gamers happy, it has spread a fire than in the future might burn EA

Who knows. I haven't played any NBA Jam games so I'm not affected.

Around the Network
the_bloodwalker said:

I think that after this, when Nintendo announces a new console, some fanboys will start a campaign of not buying any games from EA, not even Madden. From all I have read, while the news made many gamers happy, it has spread a fire than in the future might burn EA

Who knows. I haven't played any NBA Jam games so I'm not affected.

You can call people with such reactions fanboys, and yes some of them would be fanboys, but I call such reactions being a smart consumer. When you have the choice between several products, give your money to the company that would give you the better return and that cares about you the consumer the most, thus encouraging their behavior and discouraging the bad behavior.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:

You can call people with such reactions fanboys, and yes some of them would be fanboys, but I call such reactions being a smart consumer. When you have the choice between several products, give your money to the company that would give you the better return and that cares about you the consumer the most, thus encouraging their behavior.

True.

This bad reaction could have been avoided if EA didn't treat the Wii consumers the way they did. It's normal than a developer changes its mind and decides to release a game on more platforms (RE4 on PS2, FFXIII on Xbox360, etc). but in this case, the Wii consumer knows that they will get the inferior version when a few months ago it passed from being an exclusive, to a game with exclusive features and no online, to the shaft.

If this were a different business. a company that shafts consumers would be burned easily, even if the later products are excellent. When you lose consumers, you lose big time

the_bloodwalker said:
bmmb1 said:

You can call people with such reactions fanboys, and yes some of them would be fanboys, but I call such reactions being a smart consumer. When you have the choice between several products, give your money to the company that would give you the better return and that cares about you the consumer the most, thus encouraging their behavior.

True.

This bad reaction could have been avoided if EA didn't treat the Wii consumers the way they did. It's normal than a developer changes its mind and decides to release a game on more platforms (RE4 on PS2, FFXIII on Xbox360, etc). but in this case, the Wii consumer knows that they will get the inferior version when a few months ago it passed from being an exclusive, to a game with exclusive features and no online, to the shaft.

If this were a different business. a company that shafts consumers would be burned easily, even if the later products are excellent. When you lose consumers, you lose big time

I see it as EA trying to sabotage the Wii. They aren't the only one though.

Maybe many of the devs are __still__ holding grudges against the Wii simply because they bet on the wrong horse early on?

Galaki said:
the_bloodwalker said:
bmmb1 said:

True.

Maybe many of the devs are __still__ holding grudges against the Wii simply because they bet on the wrong horse early on?

I don't see it as holding a grudge. I see two aspects -

1. Sabotaging the Wii due to fanboyism. You don't need an entire company to be fanboys, it's enough that you have a small but influential group of fanboys at the programmer level and they will affect all other people's opinions of this or that console and what it can or can't do.

2. Sabotaging the Wii as a business decision - If you think you can't succeed in a certain territory, or don't want to really try because you want to adhere to the good old ways, yet that territory affects your business, what better way than to seenmingly join it and sabotage it. The funny thing is that people think such thinking is paranoid/delusional, yet seem to forget that we are talking here about multi billion businesses. People are  killing other people daily for much (much) smaller sums, so whether it is happening or not, sabotage of this kind certainly makes a lot of sense.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network
Galaki said:

I don't see it as sabotage, nor a grudge against he Wii itself. It's more of a misinterpretation of what a true Wii consumer is.

EA and some Companies bet on the wrong horse, then decided to ride it using the wrong products (Call it birdmen, shovelware, whatever) thinking the consumer will buy them. Other companies started right, but then they lost the grounds with wrong products. And then they reach the wrong conclusions to blame the customer, the Wii or even Nintendo. Instead of admitting their guilt.

An average Wii consumer is not very forgiving. when a product is bad or the customer feels shafted, the trust for the company diminishes and it reflects on the sales. Nintendo knows this more than any other developer. 

The backfire is what any company fears the most. I hope EA has good damage control

the_bloodwalker said:
Galaki said:

I don't see it as sabotage, nor a grudge against he Wii itself. It's more of a misinterpretation of what a true Wii consumer is.

EA and some Companies bet on the wrong horse, then decided to ride it using the wrong products (Call it birdmen, shovelware, whatever) thinking the consumer will buy them. Other companies started right, but then they lost the grounds with wrong products. And then they reach the wrong conclusions to blame the customer, the Wii or even Nintendo. Instead of admitting their guilt.

An average Wii consumer is not very forgiving. when a product is bad or the customer feels shafted, the trust for the company diminishes and it reflects on the sales. Nintendo knows this more than any other developer. 

The backfire is what any company fears the most. I hope EA has good damage control

Sure they do - just look at Dead Space Extraction - almost everybody except Wii fans (and some of those as well) believes this is the ultimate proof that hardcore can't sell well on the Wii. From a game that everybody with eyes in his head knew months and months before it came out that it will fail horribly (even before it received that horrible cover ), it has become the game everybody loves to give as the premier example of hardcore games failing on the WIi. If that isn't not just good, but excellent damage control, I dont know what is...

bmmb1 said:

Dead Space Extraction

I thought rail shooters are considered "casual"?

Galaki said:
bmmb1 said:

Dead Space Extraction

Not when it comes to the Wii and to prove a certain point. But ok, let me rephrase it though - "mature" games

bmmb1 said:
Galaki said:
bmmb1 said:

Dead Space Extraction

Not when it comes to the Wii and to prove a certain point. But ok, let me rephrase it though - "mature" games

So, you agree that mature games are casual games? And that hardcore shooters are immature?