By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - omaha shooter

Omaha teen shooter 'had problems'
Hawkins was very quiet, say those who knew him
Robert Hawkins, who killed eight people then himself on a gun rampage through a Nebraska mall, had "lots of emotional problems", says the woman who took him in after he left home.

Debora Maruca Kovac, said he was withdrawn - "like a lost pound puppy that nobody wanted".

She said Hawkins, 19, was not on any medication for mental illness but was treated for depression in the past.

He had also recently broken up with his girlfriend, and then lost his job.

The Omaha World Herald newspaper reported that he had been arrested on Friday for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

The newspaper also said he was sent to jail for seven days in 2005 on charges of disorderly conduct.

'Drinking problem'

Hawkins had been living with the Maruca Kovac family for about a year-and-a-half after befriending her sons.

It is not clear why he left home, although it is understood that his mother lived nearby.

While he had his troubles, Debora Maruca Kovac said the teenager was gentle and loved animals.

He didn't cause a lot of trouble. He tried to help out all the time.
Debora Maruca Kovac

"I felt sorry for him. I let him stay, and we tried to get him on his feet," she told CNN.

She said he earned a high-school equivalency degree after dropping out of Papillion La Vista High School, and got a driver's license after moving in with them.

He started working at a McDonald's restaurant near their home about five months ago.

She said he liked to listen to music and play video games - "normal teenage stuff" - but he had a drinking problem and would occasionally smoke marijuana in his bedroom.

"He was a very helpful young man, but he was quiet," she said.

"He didn't cause a lot of trouble. He tried to help out all the time. He was very thankful for everything. He wasn't a violent person at all."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh noes, he played video games. motive confirmed.

Around the Network

fail

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

i second that

Consoles I own: Dreamcast, PSP

The Finnish guy who went on a killing spree a few weeks ago was clearly a nutcase of the worst caliber, but this guy seems pretty regular to me. I have a bunch of friends who fit his description almost completely, until the point where he starts waving a gun around. Obviously he looks like a douche in the picture, but everyone knows the papers pick the most vilifying potrait they can find when making a story about a murderer.

A bit unsettling really. =/

he sounds like me....

Around the Network

Massive loser, but I hope his room was not packed with video games or we know what will happen. Scratch that, it will happen anyway.

Edit, If your life sux and you wanna die, fine, go kill yourself. But to kill others and inflict that pain on others families is the most disgusting thing to do. It just proves what low life, disgusting, degenerate loser this sad little boy was.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

misteromar mk4 said:

Edit, If your life sux and you wanna die, fine, go kill yourself. But to kill others and inflict that pain on others families is the most disgusting thing to do. It just proves what low life, disgusting, degenerate loser this sad little boy was.

You have a very narrow minded and callous view of the matter.

"Low life degenerate loser" is simply not an applicable term for these type of people. They're depressed, living life on the edge, and don't see things in the same perspective as a normal healthy minded person does.

The reason he probably went out and shot those people was because in some part of his mind he felt society had wronged him, and he was effectively stricking back. It didn't matter who the people were, or where he done it. It was his last stand, because he had reached breaking point.

Depression is a mental illness. So this person was ill.

Does being ill make him a 'loser'?

It's such a pity he wasn't treated before such a horrible event could take place. There must have been warning signs...but then again, humans are unpredictable. A lost job and girlfriend could potentially throw a lot of people over the edge.