By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that have aged badly

I was playing Gears 1 co-op last night at a friend's house and the game was still flawless, it still looked great and the controls are still some of the best in it's genre.

Not to long ago I wanted replay Oblivion, which is one my favourite games ever and I stopped when I was an hour in because the game didn't look as good as I remembered, the controls are kinda stiff, the loading is ridiculous and the whole thing felt like a chore. 

Some games are so well built they can stand the test of time, some aren't. Most of the N64 and Gamecube games I have are still very enjoyable, but outside of a handful of games (God of War, MGS3, Yu Gi Oh: Dual of the Roses etc) the PS1 and PS2 games don't stand up as well as they did all those years ago.

Got any games you'd like to talk about?

Note: It'd probably be more interesting if you can list some games from this generation as well, don't have to, I just think it might be interesting.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

I'm going to go with Call of Duty 2.  The game came with my 360 but for months prior, I read review after review of how awesome it was.  I had the game for a few months before I finally gave it a try.  It looked to be about as good as your average PS2 FPS.  I couldn't bring myself to play more than the first level.

Pretty much anything on the PS1/N64 looks like crap (with only a few exceptions).  They were our first crude steps into a new world of three demensional gaming.  They were impressive at the time, like photoshop was impressive special effects in movies back in the late 70's.  But as time passed and technology improved, our standards rose.  If I had to play a PS1 game like Rising Zan Samurai Gunman now, I'd hang myself.  16-Bit games stood the test of time much better.

Sprites 4 life!

The original Sonics! I tried to replay them on the genesis collection and the controls were more unresponsive then I remember and the spin dash kept getting stuck.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

Final Fantasy VII makes my eyes bleed.  Gameplay-wise, it's still good, I guess.  But I can't play the game for more than 10 minutes before getting tired of it due to how shitty it looks. O_o

Yet, I can still play FF IV, V and VI as well as the remastered FF I and II no problems, even though they don't have CGI cut-scenes and 3D graphics...

maybe its beacasue I never really stopped playing N64 and older games that they still look fine to me.

Around the Network

Just curious but do any of you guys have a DS? If you think PS1/N64 graphics are shitty I have to guess you've  played nothing but PS3 or Xbox 360.

Bioshock. 

I just recently played the game and it wasn't impressive at all to me.  In fact, it bothered me how average it appeared in many regards.

Plenty of PS2 games / Any PS1 game (Looks a lot worse than I ever remember).

maxxpower said:

Just curious but do any of you guys have a DS? If you think PS1/N64 graphics are shitty I have to guess you've  played nothing but PS3 or Xbox 360.

The tiny screen goes a long way to hide the flaws.  That's why I download PS1 games to play on my PSP (FFVII, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro).  They end up looking great!

People should take into consideration that I'm not only talking about graphics, the main reason I struggle to play a lot of older games is because they play like rubbish in comparison to games that have been recently released.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

d21lewis said:

I'm going to go with Call of Duty 2.  The game came with my 360 but for months prior, I read review after review of how awesome it was.  I had the game for a few months before I finally gave it a try.  It looked to be about as good as your average PS2 FPS.  I couldn't bring myself to play more than the first level.

Pretty much anything on the PS1/N64 looks like crap (with only a few exceptions).  They were our first crude steps into a new world of three demensional gaming.  They were impressive at the time, like photoshop was impressive special effects in movies back in the late 70's.  But as time passed and technology improved, our standards rose.  If I had to play a PS1 game like Rising Zan Samurai Gunman now, I'd hang myself.  16-Bit games stood the test of time much better.

Sprites 4 life!

bitch....

on topic:I played MGS1(Good)

I don't really care about graphics