By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii To Pass Gamecube Next Week in Europe/Other?

I leave the question mark in their as I can't predict the future completely but the way things are looking Wii is going to pass lifetime sales of GC in Europe/Other next week.  Here are the comparisons:

GC LTD in Europe/Other-  4,749,621

Current Wii Sales in Europe/Other- 4,577,784 

All it has to sell is 171,837 more in this upcoming week.  I think it can do it and would be quite a landmark for Wii.  First major trackign region here that it will have surpassed the predecessory.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

That's just incredible!! But with the low sales of the GC in Europe and also in Japn (4,7 millions+ 4 millions) compared to the 12 millions of GC in America, it juste shows us how far behind Nintendo was in Europe and Japan. Nice to see that happening so fast, almost exactly one year after the launch in Europe (Wasn't the Wii launched in the beginning of December in Europe?)

Yep beginning of December. If Wii passes GC next week then it will have done it an exactly 53 trackign weeks or just barely over a year.

Nintendo is making one heck of a comeback.

I guess it is time for the Wii to stop selling in Europe now. It is just selling to Nintendo die hards that bought the Gamecube right?

I have been dying to use that line. Suck it haters.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:

hahahaha.

It's true, though. People have been using that claim for a while, so when the Wii continues selling well beyond the Gamecube's sales, many people will be eating it. Of course, most of those people have long since decided to abandon that argument and go to the "fad" thing, saying it will lose its lustre sometime soon and only the hardcore Ninty fans will be buying it after that. Which, I think we CAN agree that not ALL hardcore Ninty fans own a Wii yet (for instance, I didn't get a GCN until nearly a year after launch... but then, I was sixteen when it launched and didn't exactly have the $$$ to put down on it). 

SW-5120-1900-6153

I fear Crow will be an extinct species after the Wii has run its course this generation.

thetonestarr said:
Gnizmo said:

hahahaha.

It's true, though. People have been using that claim for a while, so when the Wii continues selling well beyond the Gamecube's sales, many people will be eating it. Of course, most of those people have long since decided to abandon that argument and go to the "fad" thing, saying it will lose its lustre sometime soon and only the hardcore Ninty fans will be buying it after that. Which, I think we CAN agree that not ALL hardcore Ninty fans own a Wii yet (for instance, I didn't get a GCN until nearly a year after launch... but then, I was sixteen when it launched and didn't exactly have the $$$ to put down on it). 

I actually didn't even get a GC, and i'm somewhat of a ninty fan myself, so maybe the new argument can be "all the ninty fans who also skipped the last gen + gamecube owners are the only ones buying the wii" from now on, since that'll give them a few million buffer zone until their next line :P

Zucas said:

I leave the question mark in their as I can't predict the future completely but the way things are looking Wii is going to pass lifetime sales of GC in Europe/Other next week.  Here are the comparisons:

GC LTD in Europe/Other-  4,749,621

Current Wii Sales in Europe/Other- 4,577,784 

All it has to sell is 171,837 more in this upcoming week.  I think it can do it and would be quite a landmark for Wii.  First major trackign region here that it will have surpassed the predecessory.

Thoughts?

Good stats to cellebrate the 1st year of Wii in Europe which will be December 8th!... Looks like Wii'll make it just in time!

THE NETHERLANDS

Same here in Australia, the gc sold 120 000 in its life time (I think), and the wii has already sold 200 000. With its one year anniversary coming on the 7/12

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-