By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Unemployment rates are severely under tracked.

HappySqurriel said:
Kasz216 said:

Yeah, I can back you up on that.  I've heard the same things from people I kneww who coded.  COBOL is real popular among hospitals and the government of all things.

Me... i'd never even heard of it till he mentioned it.

I should be clear that it is not (necessarily) a good idea for a new grad to seek out training in languages like COBOL, even though there is still plenty of work with systems build using COBOL. These jobs exist because of how technology is managed in most companies.

A company like a bank, oil company or a large telephone company can often spend tens (or hundreds) of millions of dollars building a system over a 5 year (or longer) period to match their business needs, and since it began development using modern software and procedures by the time it is completed the technology behind it is somewhat outdated. With how large the initial investment was, and with how long it would take to re-do that initial work, most of these companies add on to these existing systems for decades as their business needs change and grow.

Eventually, these systems are migrated away from but this tends to create an immediate increase in the need for qualified people who understand the technologies the systems were based on to reverse-engineer the systems; because many of these companies do not understand their own business practices.

Back when I was graduating, I had a job offer right out of college for Bloomberg, as a Fortran programmer trainee.  I turned it down.  I wasn't the first at it.  Had train ride to NYC.  Paid price for a year of not finding work as result.  Eventually ended up with IBM, a year later.  Bloomberg said NOT to do long commute, because hours are long.

Around the Network

yes yes I know, Sony participates in channel stuffing, vaccines will give you autism, and the US fudges on the numbers

The unemployed numbers that got released today were not really encouraging aswell..

That college commercial was really awkward....

Which college commercial was that?  Was it one of them I posted where the kid and his parents lament he can't afford to go to college?

Sorry for the late post but everytime I came here I saw no new post while it said their was one..

Anyway I was talking about the commercial of gaining one million dollars...

it is quite awkward to advertise going to college...for the money

I am pretty sure everyone knows that going to college and graduate gave you more chance to gain more money but going to college just for studying something that gains you more money is a bad attitude in my book... You find plenty of people who end up not enjoying the job they do...

And yes the commercial about the kid who can't go to college is awkard aswell but that is basically becauese I live in the Benelux where everyone can go to college...Don't your parents earn enough money the government pays it...and if you earn enough money it still only cost around 500 dollars (Books/registering at the College/university)..

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:

Sorry for the late post but everytime I came here I saw no new post while it said their was one..

Anyway I was talking about the commercial of gaining one million dollars...

it is quite awkward to advertise going to college...for the money

I am pretty sure everyone knows that going to college and graduate gave you more chance to gain more money but going to college just for studying something that gains you more money is a bad attitude in my book... You find plenty of people who end up not enjoying the job they do...

And yes the commercial about the kid who can't go to college is awkard aswell but that is basically becauese I live in the Benelux where everyone can go to college...Don't your parents earn enough money the government pays it...and if you earn enough money it still only cost around 500 dollars (Books/registering at the College/university)..

The one million dollars is thrown around wrongly.  As was stated in one of the videos I posted, it is a lie, because it factors in the extremely wealth who did get college.

I also think that the government should stop backing student loans, and if students borrow, they can file bankruptcy and get rid of it.  Lenders would have to have a clue as to what to lend money to.  If there is a need for additional education, then offer two more years in basic skills training for a particular field.  I think it is time that this version of corporate welfare needs to ccome to and end.

I also find it a bit absurd that people donate to colleges to pay for the tuition of others.  No other business I know of does fundraising so that customers can pay for their services.

I live in Savannah GA, and 90% of the city seems empty and devoid of life. I knew that the unemployment rates were wrong.

SmoothCriminal said:

I live in Savannah GA, and 90% of the city seems empty and devoid of life. I knew that the unemployment rates were wrong.

How long has it been going on like this?

Australia's Dollar to the American One Aussie dollar is 91 cents, a difference of 9 cents in the dollar, the Aussie minimum wage is at $15.00 per hour against the American minimum wage of $10.90 per hour.

The economy is formulated when you divide the population by what we all earn, the more people living in Australia makes the averages go down. The Government's position is to keep inflation down, so the solution is to bribe us, give us $5000 bucks to have a baby. 

America has 300 million people we have 23 million. Inflation is caused from continued wage increases, the Australian dollar rises with each wage increase. How many more increases can be given? What happens when the minimum wage hits $25 dollars per hour? What are the effects to exports, jobs and interest rates as the Economy rises? Everything goes up and we lose business and jobs overseas because it's cheaper than it is to make here.

numonex said:

Australia's Dollar to the American One Aussie dollar is 91 cents, a difference of 9 cents in the dollar, the Aussie minimum wage is at $15.00 per hour against the American minimum wage of $10.90 per hour.

The economy is formulated when you divide the population by what we all earn, the more people living in Australia makes the averages go down. The Government's position is to keep inflation down, so the solution is to bribe us, give us $5000 bucks to have a baby. 

America has 300 million people we have 23 million. Inflation is caused from continued wage increases, the Australian dollar rises with each wage increase. How many more increases can be given? What happens when the minimum wage hits $25 dollars per hour? What are the effects to exports, jobs and interest rates as the Economy rises? Everything goes up and we lose business and jobs overseas because it's cheaper than it is to make here.

This is the best apples to apples comparison available:

Australia minimum wage $15.00, Australia youth unemployment 24.2%
Canadian minimum wage ~$10.00, Canadian youth unemployment 15%

In the United States only 1.4% of employees over the age of 25 earn minimum wage, and you would find similar numbers in most western countries. When you increase the minimum wage too far in an attempt to provide a living wage the result is that youth unemployment increases; and the individuals who need experience the most are denied the opportunity to work.