By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unbiased review of Final Fantasy 13

BMaker11 said:

Jim Sterling. is. a . bitch.

I personally don't like his views on the gaming industry or anything he even writes. Sure, some things might be sarcasm, but his brand of sarcasm just plain suck

Agreed.

Around the Network

I love that man.

He is a little late if you ask me.

I hate FF13, still trying to platinum it. Takes to much time, and it's not really fun to put all that time into it. And this is coming from someone who prolly put 1-2,000 hours in Final Fantasy 7 alone. 10 play-throughs is a easy estimate for me, and don't even get me started with FF10, the best JRPG game of all time!

Love it, but hate the newer direction of the FF series. Something happened after FFX/FFX-2 cause a MMORPG pops up, than a bad FF game in 12. They messed with gameplay to hard, and than FF13 where they killed their relationship with loyal FF fans, and now they are going to release ANOTHER damn MMORPG.

I hope FF13-Versus turns out good, into an actual JRPG game. Worst thing about these games is no random fights, I don't want to run back and forth to fight the same enemies. Grinding sucks in the new format. They (Square) already tried their hand to experiment what FF13 will be with Last Reminant, and that ended up crap for the same reasons. Why in the world did they not fix the game. It's like sure, make some enemies seen, like Bosses, Sub-Bosses, or things like that. But no one wants to grind by killing an enemy and than having to go back 20-30 seconds to get back into another fight. Stupid SE concept.

FF XIII was good, surely not the best FF.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

tingyu said:

I read the so call objective review, and it lead me to the 'real' subjective destrutoid review, wow, the real review really spells out all my frustration with the game. In the 1st 20 hrs, I keep scratching my head of what the heck they are talking about?  "Pulse, Cocoon, L'sie, Fal'sie, Focus, Focus, Focus."??

BEST REVIEW OF FF13, I mean the Subjective one:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-final-fantasy-xiii-167136.phtml

Same here, his actual review reads like a big list of what I found wrong with the game, which is why I agree with him that it's the worst main FF game made, this includes X-2.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

I agree with him: no review can be objective. Actually, not even science deals to be objective.

Nevertheless, I think that Destructoid's FF XIII review was one of the worst made for that game. It went like: "don't like it! don't like it" Don't!.

tingyu said:

I read the so call objective review, and it lead me to the 'real' subjective destrutoid review, wow, the real review really spells out all my frustration with the game. In the 1st 20 hrs, I keep scratching my head of what the heck they are talking about?  "Pulse, Cocoon, L'sie, Fal'sie, Focus, Focus, Focus."??

BEST REVIEW OF FF13, I mean the Subjective one:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-final-fantasy-xiii-167136.phtml

"Currently playing a poetic little gem called Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of Moonlight Witch on my trusty PSP to get rid of bad taste of FFXIII"

How that's any different from what happened in other Final Fantasy titles, as for example VII and VIII?

I never felt lost during the first 10 hours, I was trying to understand and couldn't quite make it all the time, but you had a log there which you could read and it helped a lot. In my opinion, which seems to be not fashionable these days, Final Fantasy XIII's story is quite good, and I am not a final fantasy fanboy at all.

I got the game with low expectations because of harsh reviews and comments I read everywhere, but luckily the game has blown me away since I started it. It's not perfect but it is still an outstanding game.

Anyway, all the whining will eventually reach Squaresoft and they'll have to deliver a more traditional experience. I am glad to say that I'll be as happy then as today.

Killy_Vorkosigan said:

Imho, he has right to have an opinion, but at least try to back it up with arguments. This was an useless article from Dtoid.

Now, the fake review itself was fun ^^.

I personally agree with his arguments about the story having been squandered, as it did have good themes that were never explored, characters that showed for the better part of 10 minutes then disappeared, and characters that I ultimately found no value in.

Personally the part of the game I enjoyed the most was chapter 11 on, when there was little to no narrative and I don't think I'm alone when I say that no Final Fantasy game should be lacking in motivation to see the next cut scene.

I could offer a critique on FFXIII's story, but it wouldn't fall on the right ears.

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.