By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 18 Game Thread

trangentspree said:
I swear you read like a politician sometimes with these tactfully worded responses!

YEAH WELL: YOU READ LIKE A GIANT SACK FULL OF HOT AIR. ALL THE TIME.

Around the Network
Nikells said:
hatmoza said:
No one be surprised by Khuutra's actions. He's a high profile player and I don't blame him for trying to save his own ass. Don't worry about him being mafia and fooling us either because he can't. He will most likely be investigated tonight or on night 2. He's too much a risk if he's anti town so any smart cop will have a result on him right away. All we can hope for is that he is pro-town because he would be a great asset to the town. If guilty, we lynch him and the game goes on.

While not that suspicious it did seem a little arrogant to ask for protection so soon: I've never even heard of Khuutra!

With that said I'd also like to request doctor protection tonight as, you know, I don't want to die either.

You don't understand the tactic behind what Khuutra is doing ... that sly dog Khuutra.

It's not that he is going to be protected, it's that he wants to give scum second thoughts about killing him first night assuring that he lives at least another day (assuming he's town of course). So if there's the slightest chance of him being protected, killers will back off.

Player's like Khuutra and WoW have to play like this. If they're mafia, they die by the town's hand from an immediate investigation. If they're town they take immediate action trying to gain the town's protection and trust. High profile players really have nothing to hide behind.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:

You don't understand the tactic behind what Khuutra is doing ... that sly dog Khuutra.

It's not that he is going to be protected, it's that he wants to give scum second thoughts about killing him first night assuring that he lives at least another day (assuming he's town of course). So if there's the slightest chance of him being protected, killers will back off.

Player's like Khuutra and WoW have to play like this. If they're mafia, they die by the town's hand from an immediate investigation. If they're town they take immediate action trying to gain the town's protection and trust. High profile players really have nothing to hide behind.

The reason it's an awesome strategy is, even in full possession of that knowledge, the killing roles still act exactly as he wants them to.

Where is WoW anyway?

hatmoza said:

No: I do get it (I've seen WoW do the same thing.) However he hasn't played in any of the games I've watched or participated in. If I were mafia I wouldn't of automatically targeted Khuutra and now they have a better idea of who the doctor is going to protect tonight, meaning they can pick someone else off without worrying about getting blocked too much.

Khuutra's basically just making sure some other less famous townie takes the hit for him tonight: thanks buddy!
You seem to be totally in love with him though: so I'll leave you two alone. <3

I will say I don't think anyone can assure us that Khuutra or any other 'high-profile' player will be investigated at the earliest opportunity.

I was told the exact same thing about WoW in my first game and he was NEVER investigated. (Kind of ironic me making a point about this as WoW did turn out to be pro-town that game whereas I was so thoroughly evil - but the point still stands!)

I don't think Cops like being told where to go at night because it just invites roleblockers to stay the night with them.

Around the Network
dsister said:

Let's go for some random questions I thouht up on the spot.

1. What's your opinion on day 1 lynches?

2. What's your position on lurkers?

3. Pepsi or Coke?

1. Day One lynches should always happen in small games starting with an odd number of players in my opinion.  You can predicted the day or night the game will end in those games with reasonable certainty, and with a odd number of players, lynching Day One gives the town a tactical advantage over the mafia.  Small games starting with an even number of players should No Lynch Day One.

For big games like this though, it is a tough decision.  It is hard to say how many Days and Nights a game like this is going to last, so the end game is very unclear at this point.  However, I still prefer a Day One Lynch.  I like the town to hold as much of the killing power as possible, and there is no sense giving that up on Day One.  As the end game becomes clear, if we see that a No Lynch could give us an extra day, then we can use that strategy then.

2. I don't like them.  Depending on the severity of the infraction, I like to see them lynched or modkilled/replaced.  They are more likely to be scum than the talkative players anyway.

3. No strong preference, but I'll take Pepsi where I can get it.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Maybe not roleblockers actually but there are other roles out there that can abuse that knowledge.

GodOfWar_3ever said:

btw guys, I won't be able to visit VGC for nearly 24 hours from now. Monday is a very busy day for me.

I might be able to quickly check on the thread in about 8-9 hours from the time of this post and then again in about 9 hours after that.

So don't think that I'm a "lurker".

I don't consider being gone for 24 hours being a lurker.  What worries me are the players who post only a couple times per game Day, or when people are gone for 48 hours or more.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

noname2200 said:

I'm inclined to vite No Lynch because it seems wasteful for the town to do the mafia's job for them, but dsister brings up a good point when he says that the more folks talk the better off the town will be. 

With that in mind, I'll vote No Lynch for now, just in case the majority wants to move the game along and I'm not online at the time, but I'll rescind it if we start a more serious discussion. 

A friendly note: to make things easier for the mod, when you vote, do it on a separate line, and bold it.  For example,

Vote: nen-suer

This can be helpful too:

http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Now Playing

trangentspree said:

I will say I don't think anyone can assure us that Khuutra or any other 'high-profile' player will be investigated at the earliest opportunity.

I don't even think he needs to be investigated (unless he starts acting suspicious.)

Does Khuutra have Dr Xavier like telepathic mind powers or something? Why do all the pro-town power roles have to concentrate on him? I think the cop can risk investigating more suspicious players without worrying about Khuutra unleashing his powerful third-eye mind beam on day 2 and getting us all to lynch each other.

And theRepublic: you're hurting my head with your mathematical win-lose algorithms already.
"I <3 day 1 lynches and Pepsi" would have been fine.