By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - After 35 hours ive beat mass effect, heres the review

Lost tears of Kain said:
Why the hell is pc gamer reviewing mass effect. Its only for 360 currently they have zero authority Thats like xbox 360 magazine reviewing pc games.

BTW dont really care mass effect is a far greater game in my opinion and you can argue all you want.

Blaming the reviews on money hats is just plain low.....seriously

You cant use half your stuff half the things you say are not "facts" but your opinions

Seriously being hyped has nothing to do with it, multiple games with goty hype have gotten less, look at AC it was hyped as GOTY and is getting respectable 83-85 average.

I wont judge the witcher but all i can say is you have not played mass effect so leave it at that

how can you say Mass Effect is better if you've never played the Witcher? And yes I played Mass Effect (still am)

your point about AC only proves my point, the game is STILL getting a decent average. If it were released by an unknown developer the game would've gotten below 80 definitely. AC isn't any good. 

Want another point? The fact that the PC version of Gears of War is averaging 87% with help of the scores that the 360 version got and hype. Gears of War is only an slightly above average FPS on PC.

The main reason some reviewers didn't give a better score to the Witcher is because  of the 'outdated' look and their unwilingness to deepen the game's experience. And again, PC games are different: a 80% PC game equals to 90% console game. Fallout had below 90% and is considered one of the best RPG's ever, same with Planescape Torment, and other PC games. System Shock 2 only had like 90% yet it is more highly regarded than Bioshock, which had 95% on consoles. 

Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28559.html
why what the heck are the chances of that
gametrailer witcher review just came out 8.6 1 point less then mass effect
Heck i didnt know that the witcher uses BIOWARES engine. Hmmm

Well I can tell you 1 thing, Mass Effect has worse story, it's more shallow and has worse combat. Doesn't matter what engine they used (which btw, it was heavily modified and 90% redesigned by The Witcher's developers)

shio said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
Why the hell is pc gamer reviewing mass effect. Its only for 360 currently they have zero authority Thats like xbox 360 magazine reviewing pc games.

BTW dont really care mass effect is a far greater game in my opinion and you can argue all you want.

Blaming the reviews on money hats is just plain low.....seriously

You cant use half your stuff half the things you say are not "facts" but your opinions

Seriously being hyped has nothing to do with it, multiple games with goty hype have gotten less, look at AC it was hyped as GOTY and is getting respectable 83-85 average.

I wont judge the witcher but all i can say is you have not played mass effect so leave it at that

how can you say Mass Effect is better if you've never played the Witcher? And yes I played Mass Effect (still am)

your point about AC only proves my point, the game is STILL getting a decent average. If it were released by an unknown developer the game would've gotten below 80 definitely. AC isn't any good. 

Want another point? The fact that the PC version of Gears of War is averaging 87% with help of the scores that the 360 version got and hype. Gears of War is only an slightly above average FPS on PC.

The main reason some reviewers didn't give a better score to the Witcher is because  of the 'outdated' look and their unwilingness to deepen the game's experience. And again, PC games are different: a 80% PC game equals to 90% console game. Fallout had below 90% and is considered one of the best RPG's ever, same with Planescape Torment, and other PC games. System Shock 2 only had like 90% yet it is more highly regarded than Bioshock, which had 95% on consoles. 

Im not im saying its your opinion and mine is that mass effect will most likely be better

No no it doesnt. AC isnt any good is proving my point that its your opinion. AC was quite good in my opinion, lacking in a few areas and why it deserved the 85 average it has.

Show me an example of a game that wasnt just ported with a few added features. Again your opinion, you have zero facts here.

More highly regarded is once again OPINION. I have games myself that i think deserve higher scores but that doesnt make them that higher score.

you have ZERO facts to disprove this. you came into this thread and trolled. Either you come in here to discuss mass effect or leave. Either provide me with evidence that sites actually stated it was so much better, or leave im sick of this opinion it wont change anything.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Your entire average is disproven by he same sources given different scores. Your telling me every site has a biased against the PC, because even non PC reviews have a difference in scoring.

The witcher looks very promising, but from IMO what im seeing it doesnt have the polish or effort mass effect did.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Lost tears of Kain said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
i got about 450-500 my first playthrough

for some danm reason i did almost all the side quests etc and it still didnt give the the achievement for unlocking most of the game. i also used the asari ALL game even if i hated her just so i could get that achievment at the end

and it didnt give it either danmit

Clearly not enough. Need to do a couple dozen of those uncharted planet sidequests to get completionist as well pretty much every sub-quest on the main planets. To get the character achievements you need to do the same ammount of quests with them in the party.

did all but one that wasnt a either find the minerals etc or medals

There must of been more because i did all but a few.

I did for the character thing, so i still dont understand why 

Just visist planets, you'll fine a lot more that way. Hack every terminal you find, return to Citadel every now and then and talk to everyone, click on everything. I got mine while I was still on Feros, I still had Varimine left when I got completionst.

Around the Network

Mass Effect has polish? What?! how can you say that with that crappy framerate and those glitches everywhere?

SleepWaking said:
Mass Effect has polish? What?! how can you say that with that crappy framerate and those glitches everywhere?

I had one glitch that actually stopped the gameplay it happened once. The framerate can be bad at certain times, but nothing rediculas

COnsidering few games have this much story, voice acting, or script id say alot of polishing was put into the game.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
If only the 360 wasn't so expensive and an unreliable piece of hardware I would get one to play games like this.

This post is in violation of the forum rules (4: Platform criticism).  It's nothing but trolling in a thread meant for the discussion of the merits of one specific game, and completely derailed the thread after just the first reply.  This "Girl Gamer Elite" person should be banned.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
If only the 360 wasn't so expensive and an unreliable piece of hardware I would get one to play games like this.

This post is in violation of the forum rules (4: Platform criticism). It's nothing but trolling in a thread meant for the discussion of the merits of one specific game, and completely derailed the thread after just the first reply. This "Girl Gamer Elite" person should be banned.

This post is in violation of not staying on topic. ^^ 

On topic:  Mass Effect looks beautiful. I want it. I need a 360 that won't red ring on me first though :-\ 

Currently playing: Civ 6

For those arguing about the RROD issues:

Please, quiet yourselfs, and don't flame about that. Expecially you, Girl Gamer Elite. Since I'm about 80% sure your a new Gballzack account, it wouldn't take much for me to ban you.

Having said that, as soon as ioi allows stickies, I will post a thread about RROD issues. The new consoles, from everything I've heard, are much, much more reliable. Those complaining "oh, I'd buy one if they didn't break" don't even take time to read about the new systems. Go buy a Falcon/HDMI Prem, Arcade, or Elite. They will most likely work as long as your Wii does.

Mass Effect, to me was about a 9.25 game. It's a fantastic game, and RPG GOTY. But there are some huge issues. Side Quests, although awesome in construction, suck in design 80% of the time. Going to uncharted worlds, and exploring very similar terrain, and even more similar caves, complexes, and space ships does get boring after awhile. But on the other hand, the story is a 10/10.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.