By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

LordTheNightKnight said:

Okay... this article is likely not going to make friends, but since this is the thread about the game, and this article is about the game...

http://www.destructoid.com/metroid-other-m-s-story-fails-on-so-many-levels-183310.phtml

Hoo boy...

I don't know what's worse; people hand-waving it away as "game stories just suck" or people saying "blame Team Ninja"

I thought Team Ninja did mighty well given what they worked with

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Okay... this article is likely not going to make friends, but since this is the thread about the game, and this article is about the game...

http://www.destructoid.com/metroid-other-m-s-story-fails-on-so-many-levels-183310.phtml

Hoo boy...

I don't know what's worse; people hand-waving it away as "game stories just suck" or people saying "blame Team Ninja"

I thought Team Ninja did mighty well given what they worked with

And Nippon Ichi shows game stories can be pretty good. I've just played Disgaea 1 & 2, Phantom Brave, and Rhapsody, but those stories show you can have talented writers, especially when you don't try to be cinematic or pretentious.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Nope. Not gonna read it. Don't need the aggravation.

Metroid's still in my system, though. I was pondering shinesparking up to a secret cave in Monster Hunter 3...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Metroid's still in my system, though. I was pondering shinesparking up to a secret cave in Monster Hunter 3...

Well he hates the story, but thinks the game overall is decent.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:

I read it and that's pretty much how I felt about the story. The gameplay is good except for the investigation 1st person sections. And he's right the story destroyed everyone's perception of Samus. And I like alot of japenese anime but only those where the characters don't narrate their feeling but give small hints about how they feel by their actions. This does insult everyone's intellect by Samus always stating how she feels and thinks. Simple facial experssions can go along way.

Around the Network

This comic is funny. It doesn't bash the game (the artist says he likes it), just pokes fun at the power up system.

http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/?p=1536

I think after this and the declining sales of the series  I highly doubt we see another Metroid for nintendo 's home console for a long while

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Mr Khan said:

The article has absolutely NOTHING you haven't heard before. It engages in hyerbole, pretends that Samus SOMEHOW had extensive characterization before Other M (i.e., he's mad that his Boba Fett non-personality isn't the one that popped up), bends over backwards to nitpick about things that aren't really damaging to the narrative but just annoyed him, and also fails persuasive writing 101 by insulting either Sakamoto, or even the audience. So basically read any Other M complaint thread and you've read this.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:

The gameplay is "passable" was what he said.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

I just entered the Ice area last night (the Cryosphere, I think it's called.  If not, I patent the word "Cryosphere") and I have noticed a few flaws in the story.  I'm hoping for some serious betrayal from Samus's former unit.  If not, there is some wasted story potential, here.  Nobody tell me, though!

I got Halo Reach yesterday.  Played it for an hour, and then went right back to Other M!!  I still love ya, Samus!