By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Geohot announces his retirement from hacking

I'm assuming this just means he's now being paid as a corporate consultant to do what he used to do out of sheer boredom/curiosity for free.

Around the Network

If there is a bit of fairness in this World, now that he's become a honest hacker, rogue ones will try to pwn him full time, like they did with Kevin Mitnick...   

His (maybe) lost battle (or did he actually secretly win it and was he hired for this?) shows that PS3 security is better than average, but whoever knows just a little bit about this matter perfectly knows that thanks to the hole he found unpatched consoles can still be used to access the system innards, so other hackers can use them to have an easier ride looking for other holes in parts Sony didn't remove.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Tigerlure said:

Good riddance. He cost me a feature of my PS3 I never used.

Sorry but I found that hilarious.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

If there is a bit of fairness in this World, now that he's become a honest hacker, rogue ones will try to pwn him full time, like they did with Kevin Mitnick...   

His (maybe) lost battle (or did he actually secretly win it and was he hired for this?) shows that PS3 security is better than average, but whoever knows just a little bit about this matter perfectly knows that thanks to the hole he found unpatched consoles can still be used to access the system innards, so other hackers can use them to have an easier ride looking for other holes in parts Sony didn't remove.

not trying to say it cannot be done, but on the same token think about this for a sec. some of the best Hackr's in the world for 3 year's tryed to break the PS3's security before even Geohot got as far as he did.The PS3's security was built on the worst case sec. incase someone did get that far.Even Now as Since the Time Mr Geohot released his hack and it's instruction's to the world on how to get that far, Other Hacker's it seem's are not taking up the Mantle as it would seem.

The big problem is the Encryption past the Hypervisor which I think in my Opinion is what may have limited what Geohot could do with his hack. To map the memory like he did required not only a board shocker, but software also , which was Linux. There is some talk that the Encryption security is on a machine by machine basis, and that the Security Encryption is tied on a chip level of one PS3 has part of it's own Encryption that is tied to each PS3 unique in that one hack would only work for one PS3 not each one because the Encryption is based on a chip level per PS3 if true.

that May Explain why he indeed gave up!

not saying it's true or that it's a fact or something but there have been hacker's talk about this very thing about the PS3's security on it's SPE security vault to the encryption that Sony uses for the blu-ray drive to its software encryption it may use in link with the Hypervisor.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I'm sure one of these companies will hire him to work on security for things like this.  Or some other related field.

The guy has talent, I'm sure he'll have a pretty comfy job in no time at all given the reputation he's formed.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

I'm sure one of these companies will hire him to work on security for things like this.  Or some other related field.

The guy has talent, I'm sure he'll have a pretty comfy job in no time at all given the reputation he's formed.

O'L NO DOUBT...He stated he's courting Google!

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.