By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I don't think Sony *gets* the PSP

jarrod said:

this comprehensive list is for UMD releases only, 1st party developed games are bolded...

• echochrome (shift)
  • Jeanne d'Arc (Level-5)
  • LocoRoco (Japan Studio)
  • Patapon (Pyramid/Japan Studio)
  • Patchwork Heroes (Acquire/Rideon)
  • What did I do to deserve this, My Lord?! (Acquire/Rideon)

Where did you get this list? and what are you saying here? that these games are only available on UMD?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network

Some excellent thoughts in this thread.  1 to see if the plus sign works yet. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Severance said:
jarrod said:

this comprehensive list is for UMD releases only, 1st party developed games are bolded...

• echochrome (shift)
  • Jeanne d'Arc (Level-5)
  • LocoRoco (Japan Studio)
  • Patapon (Pyramid/Japan Studio)
  • Patchwork Heroes (Acquire/Rideon)
  • What did I do to deserve this, My Lord?! (Acquire/Rideon)

Where did you get this list? and what are you saying here? that these games are only available on UMD?

He is only counting games that were released on UMD.  (i.e. if something is PSN only he didn't count it.)  He didn't mean that games released on both UMD and PSN weren't counted.  I don't know where he got the list. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

makingmusic476 said:
Smashchu2 said:

OP has the right idea. In the game business, the hardware is the gameway to the software. Nintendo designed both the DS and Wii that way. Sony and Microsoft, however, make systems that do "everything," and play games, but they don't focus on the experience of the game.

1.Nintendo created a lot of software that complimented the DS.

2. I haven't seen Sony do that with the PSP.

Which is Sony's big problem right now: they are not a game company. Nintendo has all of their departments integrated (as a software/hardware company) and is only a game company. Sony is a conglomerate.

3. Their developers are not really "Sony," but are 3rd parties they own. They are not as tightly nit as Nintendo.

4. That, and they lack the talent Nintendo has. In the end, it all comes down to software.

1. Agreed 100%, and its titles like Pokemon, Zelda, Brain Age, and Nintendogs are what have made the DS what is today.  It was also an excellent idea to partner with Level 5 for Prof. Layton.

2. Disagree, at least in the case of SCEJ, though Sony Japan's offerings feel more like quirky and cool indy titles than AAA releases.

3.  Thankfully that has been changing over the years.  The first step was to unify Sony's various studios under a single banner through the creation of the Worldwide Studios entity back in 2005.  This has resulted in a much better general vision behind the software Sony produces, and a general increase in the quality of their products, thanks to the collaborations now often seen between SCE's studios.  The second step was getting these developers directly involved with hardware design, something that has happened more recently.  SCE has been slowly becoming more and more like Nintendo every day, and it should lead to great things.

4.  I disagree.  I would argue the creative minds at Media Molecule are up there with Nintendo's best, and Nintendo doesn't have anybody quite like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, or Guerrilla Games in their arsenal.  Both companies have their strengths and weaknesses, and both offer a wealth of  quality content for any gamer.  I do agree that Sony's software is by and large less marketable than what Nintendo produces, given the audience they often cater to.

2)None of the software from Sony has moved hardware. Outside of Gran Turismo, none of Sony's software moves their hardware. They are dependent on third parties to do it for them. When they don't, you get the PSP and the PS3.Nintendo's software is meant to push the hardware. This is why Nintendo's systems are doing so well (I would argue that the N64 and Gamecube software did not try to acheive this).

3)That's not what I mean. Nintendo is an integrated hardware/software company. This means that the hardware is designed around the software. Miyamoto would say "Wouldn't it be fun if there is a system that does this," and the engeneers can go off and do it. No matter what, Sony will do this backwards, which does not work. At best, they would make the software and try to familerize developers with it. Since video games are about getting the software, this will always fail. Sony is also a conglomerate. They do a lot more than video games (which bleeds into their video game offerings). Nintendo is only about games. This means they only focus and think about them. Their president is a former game programmer. This is how they were able to see Gamer Drift. Also, Sony is too big. No matter what, they will not be able to get such a clear message and identity (how can they? They can't have multiple identities for each section). Nintendo being small works towards this. Growing to big will eroad the common thoughts and identity of the business. No matter how hard they [Sony] tries, they will not achive this.

4)That is really an insult to Nintendo. The sheer power behing Nintendo developed software drawfs that of Sony's developers, which I say aren't that great. The market proves this. To achive the level of sales Nintendo titles get, they have to be of very high quality. If Nintendo's offerings were not of high quality, they would not succeed in the market. The must also be because they sell for so long. They are so good that people are coninved to buy the game two years after it's release. It is this reason they sell so well. Sony has never made a must have title. All the must have titles for the Playstation system came from someone outside of Sony. You may like the games they make yourself, but you must admit they do not sell as well as other third party games. This means they are only on par with third party developers, which also proves my point that they are just 3rd parties under the Sony name. Uncharted and Little Big Planet didn't light fires in the consumer's mind. But games like Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros. certainly did.

I agree with 1 so no comment there.

Smashchu2 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Smashchu2 said:

OP has the right idea. In the game business, the hardware is the gameway to the software. Nintendo designed both the DS and Wii that way. Sony and Microsoft, however, make systems that do "everything," and play games, but they don't focus on the experience of the game.

1.Nintendo created a lot of software that complimented the DS.

2. I haven't seen Sony do that with the PSP.

Which is Sony's big problem right now: they are not a game company. Nintendo has all of their departments integrated (as a software/hardware company) and is only a game company. Sony is a conglomerate.

3. Their developers are not really "Sony," but are 3rd parties they own. They are not as tightly nit as Nintendo.

4. That, and they lack the talent Nintendo has. In the end, it all comes down to software.

1. Agreed 100%, and its titles like Pokemon, Zelda, Brain Age, and Nintendogs are what have made the DS what is today.  It was also an excellent idea to partner with Level 5 for Prof. Layton.

2. Disagree, at least in the case of SCEJ, though Sony Japan's offerings feel more like quirky and cool indy titles than AAA releases.

3.  Thankfully that has been changing over the years.  The first step was to unify Sony's various studios under a single banner through the creation of the Worldwide Studios entity back in 2005.  This has resulted in a much better general vision behind the software Sony produces, and a general increase in the quality of their products, thanks to the collaborations now often seen between SCE's studios.  The second step was getting these developers directly involved with hardware design, something that has happened more recently.  SCE has been slowly becoming more and more like Nintendo every day, and it should lead to great things.

4.  I disagree.  I would argue the creative minds at Media Molecule are up there with Nintendo's best, and Nintendo doesn't have anybody quite like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, or Guerrilla Games in their arsenal.  Both companies have their strengths and weaknesses, and both offer a wealth of  quality content for any gamer.  I do agree that Sony's software is by and large less marketable than what Nintendo produces, given the audience they often cater to.

2)None of the software from Sony has moved hardware. Outside of Gran Turismo, none of Sony's software moves their hardware. They are dependent on third parties to do it for them. When they don't, you get the PSP and the PS3.Nintendo's software is meant to push the hardware. This is why Nintendo's systems are doing so well (I would argue that the N64 and Gamecube software did not try to acheive this).

3)That's not what I mean. Nintendo is an integrated hardware/software company. This means that the hardware is designed around the software. Miyamoto would say "Wouldn't it be fun if there is a system that does this," and the engeneers can go off and do it. No matter what, Sony will do this backwards, which does not work. At best, they would make the software and try to familerize developers with it. Since video games are about getting the software, this will always fail. Sony is also a conglomerate. They do a lot more than video games (which bleeds into their video game offerings). Nintendo is only about games. This means they only focus and think about them. Their president is a former game programmer. This is how they were able to see Gamer Drift. Also, Sony is too big. No matter what, they will not be able to get such a clear message and identity (how can they? They can't have multiple identities for each section). Nintendo being small works towards this. Growing to big will eroad the common thoughts and identity of the business. No matter how hard they [Sony] tries, they will not achive this.

4)That is really an insult to Nintendo. The sheer power behing Nintendo developed software drawfs that of Sony's developers, which I say aren't that great. The market proves this. To achive the level of sales Nintendo titles get, they have to be of very high quality. If Nintendo's offerings were not of high quality, they would not succeed in the market. The must also be because they sell for so long. They are so good that people are coninved to buy the game two years after it's release. It is this reason they sell so well. Sony has never made a must have title. All the must have titles for the Playstation system came from someone outside of Sony. You may like the games they make yourself, but you must admit they do not sell as well as other third party games. This means they are only on par with third party developers, which also proves my point that they are just 3rd parties under the Sony name. Uncharted and Little Big Planet didn't light fires in the consumer's mind. But games like Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros. certainly did.

I agree with 1 so no comment there.

so true, sony first party has never been that good...........

yea right

u actually downplayed uncarted as well :S just wow, not gonna even bother arguing..you just landed on my ignore his posts he is too much in love with Ninty he can't see beyond it cuz msot probably they pay his bills it's so useless to convince him list

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

People are comparing Sony's 1st party games to Nintendo's, seriously

I love Sony's first party game, but they are nowhere near as good as Nintendo's.  In all honest, no single publisher comes to close to Nintendo quality

psp exists to play mgs peacewalker on

i think thats it lol

seriously tho i only ever see hood rats with psps and they use em to play styles p songs all day

just sayin i NEVER see psps

sony should just make something new with some kind of a hook, 3d is taken, so something else

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

MrT-Tar said:

I love Sony's first party game, but they are nowhere near as good as Nintendo's.  In all honest, no single publisher comes to close to Nintendo quality

Nintendo does have the best 1st party games, but Sony is not far behind in terms of quality. The one thing Nintendo has far more of is reputation. They have been producing these high quality titles for a long time, so when you hear Nintendo, you think quality--Kinda like Ghibli. Sony's absolutely great 1st party efforts are more recent, so they don't yet have that wide spread reputation of quality, but that is quickly changing.

I think it is sad the PSP cannot sell more the problem is software drives hardware. Yes there are at least 50 PSP games I would recommend, which is a staggering number but none of that software is selling. Yes PSP has some hardware life in EMEAA and Japan but outside of Japan software is dead. Don't believe then look no further than Peace Walker, Little Big Planet or Mod Nation racer purchases they are all tiny.

Sony you can save the PSP but one you need to add a lot more features or drop the price. 

First feature add new protections to your hardware so people are not stealing every game you produce.
Netflix/ Pandora support
Let me Skype and text
Better social networking support
Add some more stuff to PSN store, I like the comics section, but damn Sony you also have an e-reader give us access to your book store.

You put that in a package for 150 and watch it sell. 

shuraiya said:
MrT-Tar said:

Nintendo does have the best 1st party games, but Sony is not far behind in terms of quality. The one thing Nintendo has far more of is reputation. They have been producing these high quality titles for a long time, so when you hear Nintendo, you think quality--Kinda like Ghibli. Sony's absolutely great 1st party efforts are more recent, so they don't yet have that wide spread reputation of quality, but that is quickly changing.

The reason I say they are not even close is that Sony's 1st parties have never made a "must have title," outside of GT. All of those come from third party company. In fact, the best selling game on the PS3 is a third party game. Game like Uncharted, Resistance, Little Big Planet and the Ratchet and Sly games do not pull in enough people. They aren't making the customer go "Wow, I have to buy this game," or "Wow, now I HAVE to get a PS3." Nintendo can do this all the time, which is why their quality is far beyond Sony's development teams.

That not to say they suck or you can't like them, but I argue that they just lack that quality Nintendo has and the sales prove this.