By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony adding more 3D multimedia options to the PS3

Ldn.se said:
Hephaestos said:
Ldn.se said:

Was actually checking prices  of 3d tvs today and its gonna cost me approx £2300 for a 46"" LED 3d. I think Im getting it after am back from holiday in August. You can get one for less than £1000 but I wanna get one of the best available. Somehow it upgrades 2d to 3d so I wonder how Uncharted 2 is going to look in 3d?

Probably good.

The effect won't be very deep, but at least it'll be the TV doing the upgrading, so the graphics themselves will not suffer.... might lose some fps though due to the TV processing...

Do you know whats better for 3d plasma or LED?

Disolute is the expert on that

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
axumblade said:
Hephaestos said:

well... i'm still waiting to see them 3D BR disks...

Are you referring to movies or games? They do have 3D movies on blu-ray out but the choice is limited severely.

Didn't actually know they had some out... I was expecting Avatar to lead the charge.

Will have to start shopping for a 3D BR drive for my comp then (3D vision)... then for a PS3 when 3D TVs are cheaper.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

So this Xmas we will get a Boom #2 Commercial?

Buy a 3D tv, Blueray movie, PS3 and a game and take off $1500!

btw: More stuff they add the better.  It is nice to see they are actually SERIOUS about something

Hephaestos said:
Ldn.se said:
Hephaestos said:
Ldn.se said:

Was actually checking prices  of 3d tvs today and its gonna cost me approx £2300 for a 46"" LED 3d. I think Im getting it after am back from holiday in August. You can get one for less than £1000 but I wanna get one of the best available. Somehow it upgrades 2d to 3d so I wonder how Uncharted 2 is going to look in 3d?

Probably good.

The effect won't be very deep, but at least it'll be the TV doing the upgrading, so the graphics themselves will not suffer.... might lose some fps though due to the TV processing...

Do you know whats better for 3d plasma or LED?

Disolute is the expert on that

lol, thanks for the recomendation.

Panasonic Plasmas owns 3D displays so far. The reason - the have best 3D quality with least visible ghosing, and best 2D picture.  But they have the worst 3D glasses bundled, go figure...

So far, the early reviews have indicated that 3D displays rank in the following manner.

3D picture quality

Panasonic plasma line > Samsung plasma line > Sony LED line > Samsing LED line

LG 3D TVs just came out, and I haven't heard any feedback on them yet...

2D picture quality is top notch from all 4 but Panasonic apparently has the slight edge there as well.

In canada they are having a fire sale on Samsung 3D plasmas.

What do you guys think...should I buy this - http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-50-1080p-3d-plasma-hdtv-pn50c7000-future-shop-exclusive-pn50c7000/10143183.aspx?path=52074aea518045e6bcee977f0d8205fcen02

Rainbird said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps3-getting-3d-playtv-and-photo-content

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sweet, Sony are pretty serious about this. I hope 3D cameras will take off so we can view pictures with depth in them.

Sony has offered further details of its rollout for 3D support on PlayStation 3, including movies, PlayTV and photos.

According to Sony Europe's Mick Hocking, speaking at an event in London attended by CVG, a firmware update for Blu-ray 3D movie support will be released in September.

Support for 3D photos and video camera recordings will come by the end of 2010, he said, but he refused to specify the timing.

Beyond that, PlayTV users can expect to access 3D content through the DVR software as soon as broadcasters start offering them.

Here you will see why sony is pushing 3D so much.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/07/sony_is_not_betting_on_3d_it_merely_tries_to_stay_itself.html

"Some have suggested that Sony should go attack the sub-$1000 HDTV segment because it is the fastest growing, but the truth is that Sony is not built for that, it doesn't think like that, it's not in its DNA. Despite a recent decline, the Sony brand -the company's most formidable asset- is still very powerful, and going after the low-end market will probably destroy it, without giving Sony any assurance of a victory over Vizio, LG or Samsung. This is a no-win strategy. To keep its brand while increasing its margins, Sony only has one option: go 3D all the way."

"Sony is not betting the farm on 3D, it merely tries to stay itself."