By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For those who complain about the high cost of gaming..........

lol i actually totally agree with you!

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:

In the USA petrol is $3?

Here in the U.K, petrol is £1.30 ($1.95) a litre, with roughly 4 litres in a gallon thats almost $8 a gallon.  Well, I think the taxes and stuff are justified due to all the negative externalities and that jazz.

Anyway on topic, gaming is cheaper now than previous generation due to disc based formats being used instead of cartridges.

You can also almost drive from one point of the UK to the other with 1 tankful of gas :P

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

I completely agree. Gaming is cheaper than having a girlfriend lol

I used to buy Nintendo games for around 700 SEK (around $80) when I was a kid. Now I pay on average 50 SEK for games on Steam. You won't hear me complaining :D

(My steam games collection is also 5 times the size of my N64 and SNES games collection)

This is invisible text!

Mr Khan said:

We do forget that the NES launched somewhere at $800 or so with inflation, right?

No.

Here's a chart of console launch prices adjusted for inflation:

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Severance said:

Americans like to hear themselves complain, thats for sure.

everywhere else games ARE expensive.

QFT. I pay 50 Euros for my DS games, more than double you Americans do, stop complaining.

d21lewis said:

.......a little perspective is in order. 

When I was a kid growing up in the 80's, a gallon of gas cost seventy five cents.  A pay phone call cost a quarter.  A candy bar cost anywhere between 25 cents and 50 cents.  The first game I ever bought (and incidentally, the first shitty game I ever played) was Wrestlemania for the Nes.  It cost $50.

Fast forward to the year 2010.  A gallon of gas costs upwards of $3.  A payphone call costs......well, when was the last time you saw a payphone?  A candy bar costs about $1.  The last game I bought cost $50.  Times have changed, but despite the fact that gaming consoles do much more than just play games, games have gotten complex to the point that they are often more visually impressive than movies a few years ago, the prices are still about the same.. If you ask me, we gamers have got it pretty damned good!

Next time you pay a few dollars for your next PSN, Live Arcade, or Virtual Console game, that takes about 2 hours to beat and has primitive gameplay/graphics, remember:  these games used to cost $50!  Appreciate how good we've got it.  I know I do!

I think that it go's to prove they are overpriced. Cause if they would not be over priced, they would cost more today.

Albion said:
d21lewis said:

.......a little perspective is in order. 

When I was a kid growing up in the 80's, a gallon of gas cost seventy five cents.  A pay phone call cost a quarter.  A candy bar cost anywhere between 25 cents and 50 cents.  The first game I ever bought (and incidentally, the first shitty game I ever played) was Wrestlemania for the Nes.  It cost $50.

Fast forward to the year 2010.  A gallon of gas costs upwards of $3.  A payphone call costs......well, when was the last time you saw a payphone?  A candy bar costs about $1.  The last game I bought cost $50.  Times have changed, but despite the fact that gaming consoles do much more than just play games, games have gotten complex to the point that they are often more visually impressive than movies a few years ago, the prices are still about the same.. If you ask me, we gamers have got it pretty damned good!

Next time you pay a few dollars for your next PSN, Live Arcade, or Virtual Console game, that takes about 2 hours to beat and has primitive gameplay/graphics, remember:  these games used to cost $50!  Appreciate how good we've got it.  I know I do!

I think that it go's to prove they are overpriced. Cause if they would not be over priced, they would cost more today.

But companies are actually losing money on games.  Do you think they should cut prices in order to sell more or raise prices in order to make more profit?  Or should it just be survival of the fittest and the companies that lose money despite the $50-$60 retail price of games should just go out of business?

Cheaper than movies or an evening at the bar unless you're like me and buy more games than you can ever really play.  I have a problem.  :) 

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

routsounmanman said:
Severance said:

Americans like to hear themselves complain, thats for sure.

everywhere else games ARE expensive.

QFT. I pay 50 Euros for my DS games, more than double you Americans do, stop complaining.

Geez kinda  hateful...

I'm guessing euo folk only have the right to complain.

Sigh.