By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Things that bug me about games: widescreen only in part.

get a PC...... hell I just got Just Cause 2 with all the DLC for 30 bucks off steam /shrug

Around the Network

Nope no problem that I've ever expirienced, cuz all my PS2/NGC I played on an old school 4:3 CRT TV, and by the time I started playing games in 16:9 widescreen, I had got my PS3 and my HDTV, so all was good.

If the UI is stretched, then the game was never designed to be widescreen to begin with, and it was just an after thought, this happens to be the case for all consoles except the PS3 and 360.

What's incredibly odd is that FFXIII, a game designed entirely from the ground up for widescreen, has a stretched, oval minimap.  It's especially strange since the other HUD elements seem fine.  I can only assume it's a glitch that nobody noticed.

It's incredibly annoying.  Seeing a hallway on the map change size depending on which direction you're facing doesn't feel right.

wfz said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
wfz said:

I play Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age on my GameCube Gameboy Player on my 50inch tv and I never bother switching from "widescreen" to "normal."

Now THAT is stretched, and I love playing every minute of it. I guess I'm weird.

Yup.

GBA games are already widescreen.

Hmmm..? Mine aren't. I can distinctly tell the difference when I change resolutions or pop it in my normal GBA.

Okay, I did the math, and it's slightly wider than standard screen ratio. Standard screen resolution is 4:3, and 640x480 pixels. Proper widescreen is 16:9, which would be 853x480. The GBA is 240x160, which is 3:2. Multiplied to full resolution, it would be 720x480.

So when stretched to full widescreen, it wouldn't be stretched as much as a DS game, which is at standard ratio.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs