By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - OnLive is here and it works!

I got the email from OnLive that they are now up and running.  I signed up for the beta (I think it is an open beta) and then got the email to get the program.  Well, I did.  It installed a small plug in on my laptop and I was off.  Well, I believe it is a beta, if not, it is a launch.

I watched some video of people playing and demos, and then tried several games:

* An Arkanoid style breakout game.

* Unreal Tournament 3

* Borderlands.

I watched a bit of baseball and basketball and some other games.  I will need to try the demos with a 360 controller as they suggest, so I can try a driving game.

The game selection isn't that great now, BUT the technology... well, it works.  I was impressed by the technology.  I have to say that it actually works.

Ok, time for sleep.

Around the Network

Oh cool! Please post some more of your thoughts on it. Is there a recommended spec, or do their servers take all the heat? I kinda got the picture of how it works, but i havent looked into it yet. If it works, and the game selection increases, this might be a great thing. I hope they can make it work, and that people join up. But they need to market it more.

Found it:

What are the Minimum Recommended Requirements?

OnLive games are played through the Internet from an OnLive game data center. Currently all OnLive games are HD resolution. The Minimum Recommended Requirements are:

• PC: Windows® 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit) or XP (32-bit)
  • Mac: Mac OS X 10.6 or later
  • Processor: Dual-core CPU
  • Screen Resolution: 1280x720
  • Internet Connection: 5 Mbps located inside the contiguous United States (wired connection required)

Although OnLive has found that most computers with at least a 5 Mbps wired residential Internet connection are sufficient for HD-resolution, many factors affect network quality and computer performance, including other applications using computer resources, and other users sharing your network. Currently, the OnLive Game Service does not allow access to users outside of the contiguous United States.

Minimum spec PC

CPU:  $60 (AMD dual-core)
GPU: Integrated
Motherboard: $60 (AMD integrated)
HDD: $50 (500GB)
~350W PSU Case: $80
Optical drive: $20

TOTAL: $370

Gaming PC (Plays the majority of games on High-Max settings >30fps at 1280x720)

CPU:  $75 (AMD tri-core)
GPU: $65 (AMD Radeon HD 5550)
Motherboard: $60 (AMD)
HDD: $60 (1TB, extra storage for games)
~450W PSU Case: $100
Optical drive: $20

TOTAL: $480

COST DIFFERENCE: $110

Adding up potential game price premiums and subscriptions and assuming a gaming PC will run for 5 years, I personally would choose the latter.

They are coming up with a device that is inexpensive that enables you to play on your TV.  The service is now free.  One can go, "But you can get a gaming computer that can do X for only a bit more"... yeah, FOR NOW.  There is questions about the future, and also compatibility issues and so on.  The idea now is to try system out and see how it is.  To diminish the service by saying that a PC gaming rig is better, is to kinda miss the point here.  OnLive is more convenient and frees you from the need of upgrade.  Also, to throw out what the technology is, just because of the immediate, is also to miss something.

Want to know where the technology of OnLive fits?  Try an MMO.  OnLive's technology is ideal for MMOs.  A premium service that never requires people to upgrade their hardware, that people pay for, is a BIG thing.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:

They are coming up with a device that is inexpensive that enables you to play on your TV.  The service is now free.  One can go, "But you can get a gaming computer that can do X for only a bit more"... yeah, FOR NOW.  There is questions about the future, and also compatibility issues and so on.  The idea now is to try system out and see how it is.  To diminish the service by saying that a PC gaming rig is better, is to kinda miss the point here.  OnLive is more convenient and frees you from the need of upgrade.  Also, to throw out what the technology is, just because of the immediate, is also to miss something.

Want to know where the technology of OnLive fits?  Try an MMO.  OnLive's technology is ideal for MMOs.  A premium service that never requires people to upgrade their hardware, that people pay for, is a BIG thing.

What do i miss by not having on-live?

I can buy ps3/x360/wii for the price of 3-4 years service .

When i buy games for those systems i actually own them and can resell them. There's no price discount on games on onlive as current lineup shows.

I don't get any advantage typical of pc gaming (full hd, perfect 60 fps etc)

I have to pay more to my ISP for service with high enough bandwidth

So LOL yeah i'm so running to replace my PC with GTX 260 to play in graphic details that have 2006 written all over them.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

richardhutnik said:

They are coming up with a device that is inexpensive that enables you to play on your TV.  The service is now free.  One can go, "But you can get a gaming computer that can do X for only a bit more"... yeah, FOR NOW.  There is questions about the future, and also compatibility issues and so on.  The idea now is to try system out and see how it is.  To diminish the service by saying that a PC gaming rig is better, is to kinda miss the point here.  OnLive is more convenient and frees you from the need of upgrade.

Agreed. You pay more than is neccessary for the convenience of not having to think about it. That is how a lot of products work.

That said, if you find the game that, say, an HD 5870 can't play on 1280x720 at >30fps in the next ten years I'd like to know about it. So you can pay more for less upgrading in that respect too.

OnLive is pretty cool. I'm using it right now as a way to just quickly demo some games.  If it weren't for OnLive, I wouldn't have bought Defense Grid this past week on Steam.  :)

if it ever becomes available in Canada Ill probably check it out

Soleron said:
richardhutnik said:

They are coming up with a device that is inexpensive that enables you to play on your TV.  The service is now free.  One can go, "But you can get a gaming computer that can do X for only a bit more"... yeah, FOR NOW.  There is questions about the future, and also compatibility issues and so on.  The idea now is to try system out and see how it is.  To diminish the service by saying that a PC gaming rig is better, is to kinda miss the point here.  OnLive is more convenient and frees you from the need of upgrade.

Agreed. You pay more than is neccessary for the convenience of not having to think about it. That is how a lot of products work.

That said, if you find the game that, say, an HD 5870 can't play on 1280x720 at >30fps in the next ten years I'd like to know about it. So you can pay more for less upgrading in that respect too.

I am not going to focus on the business model, and discuss whether or not it will catch on.  HOWEVER, I will discuss the technology.  There is going to be places where this techology is going to take off, and be of great use.  On that note, if you don't think so, I would like to ask this:

In a game which is an MMO, do you think that a model where you end up paying to play, is going to be best served by having people needing to keep upgrading their computers, or one where everything is done server end? 

By having this technology in place, you gain a lot in the form of reliability and standardization and convenience, while maintaining high end performance, without the need for people to upgrade their hardware.  This technology also enables you to do things you can't now with current PCs.  There is no reason why the technology can't evolve to completely eliminate the need for load screens.  One can have it that people jump in and play.  Try doing that with current technology, or client powered technology.

Anyhow, you think the current approach for delivering MMOs is superior to what OnLive does?