By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIV (Official Thread)

darthdevidem01 said:

Is this the first time two main FF's release in the same year?

I believe so.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
darthdevidem01 said:

I believe so.

Maybe this is also a reason for the PS3 versions delay? To make sure at least it doesn't seem like 2 released on the same console in the same year

BUt then this makes me fearful of a 2012 VErsus XIII release

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Wagram said:
darthdevidem01 said:

I believe so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy#Main_series 

Timeline on the right '99-'02 were the golden years :P

And if you want to be technical, two main FF's aren't releasing this year, 13 actually "released" in 09 

So unless Versus comes out this year, or next year and FXIV is delayed until next year..

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Recently got back on XI.

Gained about 40 lvls yesterday on various jobs. Got all my summons again today.

Wagram said:

Recently got back on XI.

Seriously?  40 levels?  holy crap, I need to switch to your server so you can plevel me lol

Around the Network
Tanstalas said:
Wagram said:

Recently got back on XI.

Seriously?  40 levels?  holy crap, I need to switch to your server so you can plevel me lol

Lol. Maat utterly destroyed me today on Thief. Man if you fail that steal your screwed.

Wagram said:
Tanstalas said:
Wagram said:

Recently got back on XI.

Lol. Maat utterly destroyed me today on Thief. Man if you fail that steal your screwed.

I've watched the video's, not screwed, you're just in for a looooooooong fight and the (can't remember name) item that gives you xp when you use it helps, go into maat fight at level 66 or whatever near a level and when he gets you down use the item, level up, get full heal and bingo.  

Various news!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1up Beta Report #1

After only being able to spend five minutes or so with Final Fantasy XIV at E3, I anxiously awaited a chance to sit down with the beta version in the comfort of my own home. I've been playing the beta for a few weeks now, and can now exclusively offer you impressions from the Final Fantasy XIV beta so far.

Character Creation

Character creation in Final Fantasy XIV is potentially an extended affair, and I spent a good 30 minutes playing with it before settling on a Wildwood Elezen Thaumaturge. Players should have a lot of fun with this when the game is released, as there are a number of large and small details you can edit. For races divided into multiple clans, each had a number of unique "characteristics," like scars, tattoos and even mutton chops that were unique to their clan to help you tell your Wildwood and Duskwight Elezen apart.

Our one complaint with character customization? Some clans had limited face and hair choices, with only a handful of too-similar options. Hiromichi Tanaka, Final Fantasy XIV's producer, suggested at E3 that we may see more customization options in the final release, and hopefully some or all of them will be in the highly visible hairstyle and face departments.

Beginning My Journey

Those that have run the Official Final Fantasy XIV Benchmark program know how our freshly-minted Elezen's journey begins. Awoken on his ocean voyage to Limsa-Lominsa by a mysterious voice, he has an ominous vision, and helps fend off the sea monsters attacking the ship.

After some brief instruction on combat basics, the tutorial battle against a single Frenzied Aurelia is short and simple. While my two Thaumaturgy spells, Scourge and Banish, have no effect on the floating jellyfish-like monster, a handful of Spirit Dart attacks dispatch it quickly. I'm never in any danger of actually losing, but just in case, AI-controlled NPCs come and heal me occasionally -- no doubt to help the relatively combat-deficient gathering and crafting classes get started.

With the Aurelia defeated, an enormous sea serpent jumps over the ship. Could that be? Leviathan? As our hero basks in the sea serpent's spray, a rambling, choral song fills the air? that only he heard, apparently.

While not available in the beta, it seems likely that characters starting in the forest nation of Gridania and the desert nation of Ul'dah will have completely different, if equally epic, opening sequences like the above.

La Noscea

After landing in Limsa-Lominsa and asking around about the "shapeless melody" I heard, a friendly pirate bartender instructs me to activate the Camp Bearded Rock Aetheryte Crystal in La Noscea (the rocky coastal region just outside of town). After making our way through the labyrinthine Limsa-Lominsa with the help of the map, I arrive outside.

Stepping out into Limsa-Lominsa, it becomes clear just how big the world of Eorzea really is. La Noscea itself is enormous, seemingly ten times the size of Final Fantasy XI's starting zones. With rocky, Maine-like cliffs and a number of caves leading to beaches and canyons, there seems to be plenty to explore.

Scattered throughout La Noscea are several camps, a small staging area built around an Aetheryte Crystal, and Aether Gates, which offer one-way transportation back to the nearest camp. Interacting with these will "attune" the player to them, allowing them to teleport back later using their character's own spiritual energy -- making travel to previously visited areas instantaneous.

La Noscea is home to more than gorgeous scenery, and abounds with monsters. Exploring the region, I discover more than twenty different types of monsters, ranging from tiny rats and beetles to massive demon toads and rat-men. Naturally, a number of these monsters are quite cute, such as the curl-nosed sheep and little hopping hairballs known as "furbles."

Guildleves

After taking in the sights, I arrive at Camp Bearded Rock after a quick jog north and teleport back to town. Anxious to kill some things, I make a beeline for the Guildleve (FFXIV's name for quests/instances) counter, activate the three available to me, and then teleport back to the camp. Interacting with the Aetheryte crystal again, I activate my Guildleves, put them at "solo" difficulty, and set about my slaughter.

All the combat Guildleves so far involve finding and killing a handful of monsters: adorable sheep, tiny bats, and butt-faced molerats. The Levequest helpfully facilitates the finding of my prey, with arrows on the minimap guiding me to their spawn areas, and then reserving the monsters for me once I was in their area (so I wasn't competing against other players). In all three cases, the Guildleves took about 10 minutes or so, and I get rewarded with money, experience points, and gear.

Each time the player completes a Guildleve, they'll be able stack points awarded from that onto subsequent leves, which in turn improve the rewards. And while each player is limited to initiating three Guildleves every two Earth days, they can participate in them when partied with others all day long, if they like.

Combat and Leveling

Solo combat is pretty simple: find a target, draw your weapon and start whacking away. While engaged, your stamina constantly builds, and each action depletes it. You're free to spam as many attacks as you want, provided you have the stamina -- use too much, and you'll have to wait.

After experimenting with most of the combat classes, it's clear that melee classes are currently at an advantage. Not only do they kill things faster, they don't have to worry about running out of MP to stay alive, and can sojourn out longer without having to return to a camp or gate to restore their MP.

As you thin the La Noscea pest population, your character will accrue skill and experience: skill raises your class rank, earning you new abilities and spells, while experience levels up your character's "physical level." Physical level is constant across all classes, regardless of their rank, meaning that as you raise other class ranks, the higher your physical level, the faster a new class will be able to progress

Growing Your Character

Final Fantasy XIV's director, Nobuaki Komoto, says the game's primary theme is "growth," and this comes across most in the impressive character customization options.

Each time your character reaches a new physical level, they'll be awarded points to allocate towards stats. A character's HP and MP are a function of their class rank and physical level, but the player can add points to the six main stats and elemental resistances however they please. Building a warrior? Load up on Strength, Dexterity and Vitality. Building a mage? Load up on Intelligence, Mind and Piety. Don't worry, though -- you can reallocate stats any time you please, if you make a mistake or change classes.

Changing classes may be simply a matter of equipping a different weapon, but the more classes you level, the more versatile and robust your character will become. Once an ability or trait has been learned on one class, it can be used on all other classes. There are a few class-exclusive abilities, and some abilities and spells are weaker when used on other classes, but all in all, there is a huge level of customizability.

Eorzea Awaits

Final Fantasy XIV is now in the "beta 2" phase, with the next phase starting up shortly and promising tons of new features and tweaks. In the meantime, every two weeks, we'll be posting a new FFXIV beta report in 1UP's RPG Blog The Grind up until the game's September 30 release date

(Thank you 1up for actually aknowledging that the game exists.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beta News!

From the official Final Fantasy XIV Twitter. It has been revealed that Beta Phase 3 will be starting soon.

"Phase 2 of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Test ends on August 5th GMT. Stay tuned for Phase 3, commencing mid-August!"

This phase will be adressing TONS of issues. Adding new features and various tweaks. But you don't need to know what they are for NDA purposes. Wuaahahahaha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Fantasy XIV Fan Sites are giving away Beta keys! This is a cooperation between SE and the Sites.

If you would like to apply for a chance to get into the beta.

Head on over to Eorzeapedia, FFXIVCore, or FFXIV Zam.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Order Update July 31st

It is a decent week for Final Fantasy XIV Pre-Orders. But it is quite low compared to the previous weeks. But I am going to take a swing and say that the Mighty Star Craft 2 had something to do with that!

PC 12,353 = 115,502

PS3 884 = 21,215

Total 13,237 = 136,717

So far it looks like XIV is on its way to a minimum of a 200,000 PC launch in America. Expect the numbers to go higher during the 5 weeks until launch.

FFXIV (PC)                                                   FFXIII (PS3)                          

20   1,268 / 14,150 19   1,523 / 15,673 18   1,542 / 17,215 17   1,541 /  18,756 16   3,909 /  22,665 15   7,837 / 30,502 14   3,936 / 34,438 13   3,635 /  38,073 12  36,265 / 41,231  8,292 /  46,365 11 38,706 / 79,937 17,826 /  64,191 10 23,212 / 103,149  11,791 / 75,982 9 12,353 / 115,502  11,931 /  87,913 8   14,899 / 102,812 7   20,243 / 123,055 6   19,712 /  142,767 5   19,827 /  162,594 4   31,132 / 193,726 3   46,382 / 240,108 2   55,390 / 295,498 1   43,267 / 338,765

FFXIV (PC)                             FFXIII (PS3)                          

20   1,268 / 14,150 19   1,523 / 15,673 18   1,542 / 17,215 17   1,541 /  18,756 16   3,909 /  22,665 15   7,837 / 30,502 14   3,936 / 34,438 13   3,635 /  38,073 12  36,265 / 41,231  8,292 /  46,365 11 38,706 / 79,937 17,826 /  64,191 10 23,212 / 103,149  11,791 / 75,982 9 12,353 / 115,502  11,931 /  87,913 8   14,899 / 102,812 7   20,243 / 123,055 6   19,712 /  142,767 5   19,827 /  162,594 4   31,132 / 193,726 3   46,382 / 240,108 2   55,390 / 295,498 1   43,267 / 338,765