By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft leaked documents insists PC gaming is still important!

Slimebeast said:

Actually MS should ignore the PC even more. I mean they have a hard time to offer a decent number of true exclusives to their console, the X360. The competition has far more quality exclusives on their consoles.

Giving Fable 3 to PC was a huge mistake. First, it'll just get pirated and second, it once again proves to all gamers that MS isn't serious about keeping true exclusives. The impression among gamers is that as long as you're willing to wait, everything on the X360 can also be played somewhere else.  

It's really pathetic, Gears, Halo and Alan Wake are our only major exclusives. And who knows for how long.

the thing is, they can't, since its so easy to port em but by preventing it clients like steam are porting theirs to linux and mac. the will loose their PC dominance a in a couple of years, since games will be hitting linux machines.

i agree only if microsoft focused on console development, the moment a pc version exist a reason for buying 360 disappear, same thing happen to JRPGs and they alll now on the ps3 and some on wii.

Around the Network

But since when has MS been a contributing factor to PC gaming? 1980s?

Its not like gamers would feel the decline in games if MS scrapped their GFW, since all the good ones are from other dev/pub teams.

Though i can see why they think the PC market is important to them, with the top most profitable titles released have been PC games.

Tanstalas said:
averyblund said:
And like I just said, pirating more than a single game is easier on the top 2 consoles. Pirating on the Wii or 360 is far less of a hassle than dealing with the minefield of PC gaming cracks. Heck I know 2 people who quite bothering with the random "bugs" in Batman:AA for PC and just pirated it on 360 instead. I suppose it cost them $1.50 DL-DVD, but that isn't much of a sacrifice.

PC gaming piracy is the most commonly parroted industry BS meme. But anybody who knows how piracy works realizes what a joke it is. The fact that gamers give the industry their mouths to spread this absurdity is even more troubling. Hard drive loading on Wii for instance demolishes the simplicity of even the easiest PC hacks. Both the 360 and the Wii require nowhere near the skill needed to chang config files, update or downgrade drivers, replace .exe's, or install server emulators. I have young cousins with modded consoles, who couldn't even find the terminal on their PC's. Can we stop pretending like this isn't the case? Please?

Well, myself for instance will not mod my 360, as I like to be able to use Live and other services associated with the XBL service.  I suppose buying a second 360 would be cheaper than buying 5 or more games, however, I may be mistaken, but mods for 360 and Wii are "hard" mods right?  So in order to be able to do it you need to know someone with the know-how to solder.  (I could be wrong on that - there may be "soft" mods)  And doing a "hard" mod there is a risk that modding your gaming unit could brick it, also if you mod it and something else goes wrong with it, you are out of warranty :P

Nope, there are softmods for both.
Softmodding a Wii to load ISOs off an external HDD takes about 15 minutes, dunno about a 360 though.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

they give a shit about it, look at Games for windows live, pure BS!

I would like to play some games but that thing is just not working properly, so I stick to my ps3!

Tanstalas said:

I wonder how many of the people that complain about games not coming to PC are the same people who complain about DRM getting tighter and tighter.

Like someone else mentioned, the reason that less games come to PC are due to piracy.  

No, the reason that fewer games are coming exclusively to the PC (or any other platform) is purely and simply due to cost.

Around the Network
Tanstalas said:

Well, myself for instance will not mod my 360, as I like to be able to use Live and other services associated with the XBL service.  I suppose buying a second 360 would be cheaper than buying 5 or more games, however, I may be mistaken, but mods for 360 and Wii are "hard" mods right?  So in order to be able to do it you need to know someone with the know-how to solder.  (I could be wrong on that - there may be "soft" mods)  And doing a "hard" mod there is a risk that modding your gaming unit could brick it, also if you mod it and something else goes wrong with it, you are out of warranty :P

Im not really sure 100% but I know someone with a Wii which is modded and IIRC he did it all in software. It didn't sound very simple when he explained briefly what he did.

Squilliam said:

How have they not supported gaming? What is Direct X 11? Its awesome, it also runs a hell of a lot faster on the same hardware compared to the same games, same hardware on a Mac and thats a closed system. They've done a lot to support the back end even if they haven't been releasing as much content for the system but arguably its the back end software which is more important.

that's part of the OS fight though, people build rigs to play games on windows because they have no choice since DX11 is kewl, gamers wouldn't use windows otherwise.

Case on topic, I'll believe it when I see Gears of War 3 on PC with DX11 Physics and Tess support, or MS can kiss my ass.

Tanstalas said:
averyblund said:
And like I just said, pirating more than a single game is easier on the top 2 consoles. Pirating on the Wii or 360 is far less of a hassle than dealing with the minefield of PC gaming cracks. Heck I know 2 people who quite bothering with the random "bugs" in Batman:AA for PC and just pirated it on 360 instead. I suppose it cost them $1.50 DL-DVD, but that isn't much of a sacrifice.

PC gaming piracy is the most commonly parroted industry BS meme. But anybody who knows how piracy works realizes what a joke it is. The fact that gamers give the industry their mouths to spread this absurdity is even more troubling. Hard drive loading on Wii for instance demolishes the simplicity of even the easiest PC hacks. Both the 360 and the Wii require nowhere near the skill needed to chang config files, update or downgrade drivers, replace .exe's, or install server emulators. I have young cousins with modded consoles, who couldn't even find the terminal on their PC's. Can we stop pretending like this isn't the case? Please?

Firstly let me state clearly that I don't support piracy in any way shape or form. Because 360 modding doesn't allow cross region play, and there is little to no homebrew I have no interest in it. The Wii on the other hand I have modded to allow me to play JPN based import titles as well as use an HD loader to avoid stressing my already nearly dead DVD drive.

To answer the questions about the difficulty, they are both softmods. The Wii mod basically just requires an SD card, while the 360 requires a firmware flash. No soldering required. However one does have to open the 360 to to the firmware swap, but from what I've seen that is pretty trivial and can be done from any modern PC in a matter of minutes.

I'm certainly not trying to entice people to mod, especially in the case of the 360 where it is almost certainly for piracy, but  I do think it's important to point out that compared to the ever changing protections placed on PC titles console piracy is actually even easier.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256