By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rare: No lag issues with Kinect!

JaggedSac said:

There are no wireless connections with Natal.  Data goes over USB.

But "you are the controller". Thus a wireless one, save very peculiar perversions.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
JaggedSac said:

There are no wireless connections with Natal.  Data goes over USB.

But "you are the controller". Thus a wireless one, save very peculiar perversions.

So what latency would you attribute to that wireless connection?  Light from body to sensor, or light all the way to transmission over USB?

Yeah, I totally expect a first-party developer to criticize Kinect. Next on that list: Guerilla Games saying "the PS3 is weaker than the 360."

Did I forget to mention Retro Studios Inc. saying that motion controls suck?

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

This is as dumb as when some PS3 developer says "only possible on PS3 and the cell..." Im sorry but i see lag. So STFU. Just like when devs say its not possible on anything but a PS3, they should also STFU because as a gamer all that concerns me is what i see an dwhat i play, not what goes on under the hood and ive seen and played games on the 360 that are superior to PS3 games....so all in all, i cant understand how they can say that when ive literally just watched the contrary in their demo of hurdles.

Lag is being judged from a laggy conference projector

Repent or be destroyed

Around the Network

Rare has fallen so far in my eyes. I was a Rare fanatic, and even now have them on my Twitter, and have favorited them on my cell phone for any new posting, but still...they're so much less than what they were, and what they could be.

Microsoft needs to let them bring out their franchises, and gain mascots for themselves. There's so much potential in Rare. Creating the Avatars, and Kinect Sports, etc is a huge feat though, so i appreciate them in that regard, but Rare is too talented to only be focused in this way from MS. I want Killer Instinct, Jet Force Gemini, etc damnmit!

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

What I don't understand is that both Move and Kinect depend on camera technology to work, so if there is lag on one, there would be on the other. The fact that one is detecting glowing orbs and the other using motion detection of the body shouldn't make that much difference. It's still the time it takes for an image to be captured on camera and analysed by the device/software.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Infamy79 said:

What I don't understand is that both Move and Kinect depend on camera technology to work, so if there is lag on one, there would be on the other. The fact that one is detecting glowing orbs and the other using motion detection of the body shouldn't make that much difference. It's still the time it takes for an image to be captured on camera and analysed by the device/software.

The bolded is the critical part. In Kinect's case the software is not just finding the 3d placement of a glowing sphere, but constructing a 3d skeltal model based on what comes out of the hardware (the rgb camera "normal" image plus the depth camera map).

It's a lot more work, and can thus tax the system computationally and require more time per frame, possibly resulting in lag.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

dsister said:

Also I want an apology from jneul :p

i think she got banned for trolling on Kinect, anyway what do you expect them to say they are employed by MS, they will not say anything bad about it.