By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why are Humans Bipedal?

Jay520 said:
mikem said:

Furthering your point, can that predator climb a tree? Because I can.  (a leopard will outclimb you) Call your friends to fight off the solitary predator.

Can that predator swim? Because I'm a pretty good swimmer.  (a croc will outswim you) Hop onto land and the croc won't get far.

Can that predator call in a dozen other animals to back it up? I can.  (a hyena will call its pack with a hearty laugh) Pretty sure they won't form a pyramid to climb that tree, though.

Being bipedal provides no advantages when dealing with predators.   

However there is no animal that can do all of the above

Exactly. Humans defeat a threat by engaging its weakness, not its strength. And being bipedal actually plays into our jack-of-all-trades physical abilities.

Our legs are developed into highly effecient running limbs. Our hands are well-developed for either climbing or swimming. Combining both sets of limbs allows us to carry more food farther than any other animal, enabling a co-operative hunter-gatherer society where the strong can go into the dangerous wilderness for food while the weak stay safe at home.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

i think that it was something about the gene.