By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect conference happening now

Around the Network

IGN has some impressions up:

Naz: 10pm Sunday Well, E3 2010 has officially kicked off with Microsoft's debut of Kinect (formerly Project Natal) at a glitzy event at the Galen Center. To say I was disappointed with Kinect would be putting it mildly. After waiting at the Galen Center for a couple of hours, other than the name, Kinect, nothing was revealed except a handful of pre-recorded demos where actors clearly pretended to control the on-screen characters (avatars) with their own body movement. At several points the avatars would move before the actors did, ruining the illusion of a real live demo of Kinect. This body-synch debacle makes Milli Vanilli's legendary lip-synch outrage look tame by comparison.

The Kinetic 'body-synchs' that were shown off included rafting down a river, Olympics, yoga, a mildly cool Star Wars demo where the avatar slashed enemies and reflected laser bolts, a tiger pet patting simulation and a handful of other disappointing snippets. The Kinetic camera was also shown navigating on-screen menus with cool Minority Report-style waves of your hand, as well as video conferencing.

I'll be able to report a lot more definitively tomorrow once I've actually tested out Kinetic but for the moment the body-synch balls-up has left a bad taste in my mouth. Laughably, a huge animatronic elephant with in-built projector screens was the highlight of the crazy spectacle.

A very disappointing first act, Microsoft. Let's hope tomorrow things can be turned around.

Patch: 11:48pm Sunday Look, it has to be said: that was one of the single biggest cluster****s I've ever seen at a games event, hands down. With the eyes of the world on Microsoft, it decides that the best course of action, for whatever profound reason, is not to truly unveil much of anything. Instead, the audience is assaulted with a strange and shambolic mess of pretentious garbage, muddy messaging and glimpses of very uninspiring games. Good lord.

Tomorrow morning's press conference is going to have to pull some impressive rabbits out of the hat to rectify this bizarre misfire. Truly, tonight will live on in our minds right up there with Giant Enemy Crab and Wii Music air-drumming. Facepalm.

Hm looks like natal/kintec will be a big disappointment.

makingmusic476 said:

"Truly, tonight will live on in our minds right up there with Giant Enemy Crab and Wii Music air-drumming. Facepalm."

This really was that bad huh?

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Pretty much this whole 'Conference' was just weird shit. When a few game sites reported that the Kinect show was confusing and just weird, I thought meh but right now as more impressions come through, I'm really beginning to think that this was just a waste of time really.

Lag, skepticism mar Cirque du Soleil/Project Natal event

• by AJ Glasser
  • June 13, 2010 22:13 PM PT

The debut of Microsoft's full body motion controller, now dubbed Kinect instead of Natal, was a spectacle of multimedia performance art and audience participation. Technical issues and a sullen audience, however, dampened the effect we think Microsoft was going for.

The "meat" of the show was a series of short game demos for products mentioned in the USA Today story -- Knect Sports, Kinect Adventures, and Kinectimals. The first two games are mini-game compilations with sports like soccer and javelin or races on rafts or cars. Kinectimals, meanwhile, appears to be like Nintendogs -- only with jungle cats. Other games included an unnamed Star Wars game where your lightsaber swinging motions translate directly to your character in the game, a car racing game, a hip hop dance game, and a yoga/Tai Chi simulator. The non-game demos were for video chat, interactive Xbox Dashboard menus, a Disney Tinkerbell interface, and a random video of Xbox avatars flying through the air like the toasters from that old Windows desktop application, After Dark.

The unnamed Star Wars game got the loudest cheers, while Kinectimals won a few coos from the audience. The longest demos were for the Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures games -- but these titles seemed to suffer lag and the presentation of the games made it difficult to understand how the controls worked (especially for the team sports like soccer). The hip hop game seemed promising, as did the yoga simulator, winning some speculative noises.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/215435/lag-skepticism-mar-cirque-du-soleil-project-natal-event/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed: GameProNews (GamePro.com Daily News)&utm_content=Twitter

=============

That was from Gamepro and IGN reports that it's one of the weirdest things they've ever seen.

"My moment of zen came not as the burlapped elf men playfully dangled tin cans from sticks or when the show-closing music swelled as images of Xbox Live Avatars flew against a starry sky. For me, the highlight of the evening was watching Ninja Gaiden creator Tomonobu Itagaki walk into the event in his white robe, taking in the scene behind his traditional sunglasses. He looked around a few times, stood quietly for a few moments and then turned around and left."

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1096874p1.html

==============

And guess what? Even VGC reported that event was indeed weird. So before anyone tries to defend this event, think again. Sereveal Different sites reporting that it was weird can't be wrong. This all basically sums up to be an underwhelming so called conference.

Around the Network

Chris from Gamesrader posted this on /v/

>show off men backflipping in tights and plastic elephants
>still no sign of games
>forced to wear ponchos and drink almond water
>still no sign of games
>games are shown
>check to see if i accidentally walked into Nintendo's presentation
>nothing but casual shit for Natal

The next 5 years of console gaming are going to be terrible. Brb building a PC that can fly to the moon and back.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Game Informer

Cirque du Soleil tickets go for what, $80? I wish I were exaggerating when I say that you would've had to pay me more than that to go to Microsoft's embarrassing Kinect (nee Project Natal) event.

I was all jazzed up to see the lauded performance group do their thing, even if it was in service to a larger corporate marketing agenda. What I didn't expect was to have Cirque du Soleil's indisputable creativity subsumed almost entirely by Microsoft's message.

Outside of some genuinely impressive floor gymnastics that took place before the event itself started and a vertically rotating "living room" stage where the main show happened, this might as well have been a promo reel for crappy waggle games. Oh wait, it was.

Seeing a marketing-approved all-American family of four "interact" with each other and Kinect in the staged gaming made me laugh out loud, and not in a good way. You can play doubles beach volleyball with four people, but only in the context of playing two at a time versus CPU opponents? Competing in a Muscle March-esque moving platform minigame looked...awful. I have no idea what kind of dirt the Xbox team has on the folks at Harmonix, because that studio's contribution -- the dancing title shown toward the end of the event -- was the worst of all, making players mimic a selection of shameful breakdancing-inspired moves that would get you kicked out of any reputable townie bar, much less a dance club. The Star Wars thing looked kinda cool, but that was about it.

The games were not good, is what I'm saying.

The message from Redmond is that Kinect is brings families together, with the "boys versus girls" Olympic-style competition and the family-friendly cartoon visuals. I hope that my children, should I be so lucky to have any at some point in the future, will have better taste than to play these Wii Sports cutting room floor rejects. I know my wife does. I love playing a round of Mario Kart Wii (a waggle game with actual gameplay) with my nephews, but sharing what I saw tonight with them would make me the lamest uncle ever. And I work at a video game publication.

I could forgive the ham-fisted event if it had contained a nugget of interesting software or hardware, but it didn't. If the "family" was actually playing Kinect games while onstage, it was the most well-rehearsed event in history. I'll hold my final judgment until I get my own hands on Kinect on the E3 show floor, but I can't think of a worse way to have been introduced to it.

Congratulations, Microsoft. You engaged one of the premier entertainment ensembles in the entire world to help you sell it, and Kinect still looked terrible. Kudos on wasting my time.

Ouch - though seeing as though this is more tailored for a non-gaming casual market, it would be refreshing to get their perspective on the games.  Most of the people reading this jarring vilification were never keen on it to begin with.

This is...it? I hope to see some more games using Kinect today because this was just...not good.

By wearing white ponchos and drinking strange drinks you have done ritual of some secret socities

OH MY GOD MICROSOFT ARE ILLUMINATI !!!!1111