By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Purchase Intent Low for Move and Natal

So roughly 600k pre-orders guaranteed for Move?

Around the Network

A study, this time on Sony and M$ instead of Nintendo, has (at least for Move) a relatively high amount of its users being women. Can I say that motion controls are for girls and kids (LOL, I'm obviously kidding) because this time it's in Sony's camp, or will people jump on YET ANOTHER survey and say how invalid it is, despite it being done by a research firm (you know, this is their job right?) because it doesn't have the outcome you desire?

Funny thing is, everytime we see one of these surveys, it's always "a generalization" or "not enough sample size" to the naysayers, although with about 2,000 participants, National Polls almost always accurately predict voting trends per state within /- 2% margin of error for presidential elections. 

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"

boilermaker11 said:

A study, this time on Sony and M$ instead of Nintendo, has (at least for Move) a relatively high amount of its users being women. Can I say that motion controls are for girls and kids (LOL, I'm obviously kidding) because this time it's in Sony's camp, or will people jump on YET ANOTHER survey and say how invalid it is, despite it being done by a research firm (you know, this is their job right?) because it doesn't have the outcome you desire?

Funny thing is, everytime we see one of these surveys, it's always "a generalization" or "not enough sample size" to the naysayers, although with about 2,000 participants, National Polls almost always accurately predict voting trends per state within /- 2% margin of error for presidential elections. 

Hey, I for one never said the survey wasn't trustable, I just pointed out that the results don't mean what some people seemed to be taking them for, ie, good indication that Natal will have very low sales.

Farmageddon said:
boilermaker11 said:

Hey, I for one never said the survey wasn't trustable, I just pointed out that the results don't mean what some people seemed to be taking them for, ie, good indication that Natal will have very low sales.

You may not have personally said this, but look at any survey from like 2007 onward, pertaining to this generations consoles, on the site. "What's the make up of the Wii's demographics?", "Consumers report for console failures based on personal experience", "3rd party software game types per customer", etc.

Many, many surveys said that Wii's demographic is made of women, old people, and kids, but Nintendo fans on these boards would come here with anecdotes about how everyone of THEIR PERSONAL FRIENDS who own Wiis are not in that category, and that the survey is a generalization, and the people behind the research didn't know what they're talking about.

Many, many surveys based on consumer reports had the 360 fail rate at 33%, sometimes upwards of 50%. M$ fans would say that consumers are stupid and didn't know how to take care of their console, that their consoles were actually fine and they didn't know when it was broke or not, or that retailers miscalculated. And what's worse, when there were people that would say they bought 2, 3, maybe 4 360 (in the surveys), they'd be ridiculed.

Looking at 3rd party games, you always get that graph (when talking about Wii 3rd party software sales) to try and make it look like the Wii sells the most (in absolute terms yes), but they neglect the fact that most of those sales come from stuff like Just Dance and Carnival Games. Then, when PS3 is at the bottom of that list, Sony fans come out and talk about attach rates like that matters NOW. You could have a 10-15% attach rate for a game now, and that may look better than the 8-9% attach ratio the 360 may have for the same game, but that 8-9% > 10-15% in total sales NOW, because the 360 ahead. 

I for one trust these surveys because more often than not, they are conducted by firms that do that for a living. They know all the empirical methods needed to get the results they got. But everytime something negative shows up about some fans company of choice, all research is then demeaned on this forum, and it gets annoying. So now, I just preempt people who say that stuff, before they say it.

Call it flaming, because the definition of flaming is getting people riled up, but in this case, it uses facts and logic on my side, against "well, I don't like the outcome, so it must be wrong" coming from the other side

Currently playing:

Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, Rock Band, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, DMC2, then 3, and Radiata Stories

"Stop the presses// It's been a while but I'm back in session// And in the past time my flow's matured more than adolescence// It's time to learn a lesson// So get you pen and your pad out, listen close, and take heed to this blessing"