By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony partnership with Google not just for Google TV..

Xoj said:
DaBuddahN said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PLEASE not Google. I hate Google.

They are head to head with Apple and Siemens for the worst companies out there. Team up with Nokia if you want to, but not google.

Stupidest post I've seen all day.

Google is one of the best companies out there, hands down. They ranked number one for "Best place to work" a couple of times. Their products are of upmost quality. This partnership will do well.

he doesnt mean it that way. though i think they should go with nokia intel maemo moblin = meego . android doesnt have a powerhouse like nokia for mass adoption and being by intel it will be in every netbook.

well nokia alone holds 40% mobile marketshare... those 400 million devices.

you do know that Android OS now is being fully supported by Intel

if anything Android is more of a powerhouse than maemo moblin.

the reason being Android is already selling 60,000 ANDROID OS based devices a day.

not even Moblin based devices are selling that many on a daily basis.

example:

Just look at some of the most recent Android-specific stats:

• 100,000 Android-based phones are activated every day.
  • It’s on 60 devices from 21 OEM makers on 59 carriers in 48 countries.
  • There are 50,000 apps in the Android Market Place.
  • In the first quarter of the year, it was the second-best selling smartphone OS after RIM’s BlackBerry in the U.S.

also:

Why would Intel mention Android and not Windows? Probably because they are working with Google on a X86 version of Android that would slot in well here. Remember, Intel are members of the OHA, the organisation that brought you Android. There’s been no formal announcement on Android yet but Intel are not exactly trying to keep it a secret. How that will sit with MeeGo is anyone’s guess but it does give Intel an important second-string to their bow.

Update from the fact-sheet: “Intel has worked with Google over the past few years and is providing support for the Android platform at launch”
Fact-Sheet (PDF)

Here’s a video of Android running on a Moorestown smartphone from MWC in Feb.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

here's Logitech's Google Tv box in action:

as you can see here is a demo of Google Tv being used an it even works with the xbox360:)

the LG Google TV box is that small shiny black box to the left in the video on just right under the bottom of the LCD screen

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I could be wrong, but last time I understood Android wasn't a closed OS for mobile devices. This means using the Android OS does not mean partnership or long term deals.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

.jayderyu said:

I could be wrong, but last time I understood Android wasn't a closed OS for mobile devices. This means using the Android OS does not mean partnership or long term deals.

it's not , there is only one thing though if the Android OS is not ported to your type of processor it would have to be ported by the company that make's the processor, or someone else would have to do it.

and yes it does not mean it is a partnership or long term deal out right , but it can..in anycase Sony is doing a partnership with Google, along with LG, Intel, Dish network and quite a number of companies are on board, not just Sony.

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
Squilliam said:

Google will be the big winner here. The bigger Google gets with the embedded devices the less relevant Sony's own PSN becomes as people will not want to use PSN when they can have portability throughout the Google ecosystem.

How So?

just because Google's market place could be an option does not mean everyone will still not want to use PSN.

or are you just thinking there would be no need for PSN, or you would Hope there would be no need for PSN?

lol.

PSN is free so why would you not use it?

It's a Win Win for both any way you know it..:P

you just do not want to admit it..lol

Google will control the internet on Sony products. They will be the ones who will profit in the long term, not Sony. Look at the situation with OEM PC manufacturers and compare them to Microsoft.

Tease.

Around the Network
joeorc said:
Xoj said:
DaBuddahN said:
DirtyP2002 said:

They are head to head with Apple and Siemens for the worst companies out there. Team up with Nokia if you want to, but not google.

Google is one of the best companies out there, hands down. They ranked number one for "Best place to work" a couple of times. Their products are of upmost quality. This partnership will do well.

he doesnt mean it that way. though i think they should go with nokia intel maemo moblin = meego . android doesnt have a powerhouse like nokia for mass adoption and being by intel it will be in every netbook.

the reason being Android is already selling 60,000 ANDROID OS based devices a day.

example:

• In the first quarter of the year, it was the second-best selling smartphone OS after RIM’s BlackBerry in the U.S.

also:

Why would Intel mention Android and not Windows? Probably because they are working with Google on a X86 version of Android that would slot in well here. Remember, Intel are members of the OHA, the organisation that brought you Android. There’s been no formal announcement on Android yet but Intel are not exactly trying to keep it a secret. How that will sit with MeeGo is anyone’s guess but it does give Intel an important second-string to their bow.

Update from the fact-sheet: “Intel has worked with Google over the past few years and is providing support for the Android platform at launch”
Fact-Sheet (PDF)

nokia sells 80-100 MILLION smartphone each each, that more that iphone and blackberry put together. as far global marketshare that more than 40%.

intel role it's the netbook implementation it's their OS AFTER all.

nokia will handle the mobile devices UI. all platforms will be on QT and they will run on any platform. but designed for symbian, meego mobile, meego netbook(a cloud OS).

to success nokia have to put in their major smartphones, :p

If the Sony/Google partnership is so strong, why is the X10 one of the last phones to get Android updates?

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Two great engineering companies coming together....sounds very promising maybe they'll venture into NASA's luckluster state.

Grimes said:

If the Sony/Google partnership is so strong, why is the X10 one of the last phones to get Android updates?

because it went out before ANDROID 2.2 was finalized

it does not mean that just because it was the last to get updates that it mean's their partnership is Weak, remember Google does not update Sony's software for them:P

I AM BOLO

ps:

Xoj said:
joeorc said:
Xoj said:
DaBuddahN said:
DirtyP2002 said:

example:

also:

Fact-Sheet (PDF)

nokia sells 80-100 MILLION smartphone each each, that more that iphone and blackberry put together. as far global marketshare that more than 40%.

intel role it's the netbook implementation it's their OS AFTER all.

nokia will handle the mobile devices UI. all platforms will be on QT and they will run on any platform. but designed for symbian, meego mobile, meego netbook(a cloud OS).

to success nokia have to put in their major smartphones, :p

where do you think Android is also going to..Net book's also

also:

"global marketshare that more than 40%"

it used to be over 60%

Symbian Loses OS Market Share To Growing Competitors

There’s a shift underway in the mobile operating system (OS) market. According to analysts at Gartner, Symbian’s share of the global OS market decreased to 47.1% in the fourth quarter of 2008. That’s down from its 2007 fourth-quarter share of 62.3%. Pressure from new platforms entering the consumer space, the continued decline of Nokia’s smart-phone sales, and the weakness of the Japanese mobile device market have negatively affected Symbian’s share, the analysts said.

dropping from 62.3% down to 47.1%

I AM BOLO

ps: