By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Despite Wii's success abroad, Nintendo to keep development in Japan

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176545

Japan won't let go, despite Wii's massive success around the world

Even though Wii has become the success story of 2008 in Japan, North America and Europe, Nintendo has no plans to ramp up development in the US (let alone that place called Europe) says senior VP George Harrison.

He told Wired News, "I'm not aware of any plans to push for more software development here in the US. The actual decision about producing more software and who should do it is driven by Satoru Iwata and the management team, including Mr. Miyamoto, in Japan."

So far we've only seen US first party Wii games come in the form of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (developed by Texas-based Retro Studios) and Mario Strikers Charged (developed in Vancouver). There was Project HAMMER but that looks like it's been canned.

Harrison says Nintendo looks to third-party publishers based in the US to create games for Western audiences.

"They're doing a great job both on DS and on Wii. They tend to provide product in categories that we aren't particularly good at doing, like sports or other genres. And since they're Western publishers, they tend to be more in tune with Western tastes."

Still, look at the top ten games on both DS and Wii and you'll see Japanese first-party games leading the way.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

If it isn't broken, why fix it?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I never knew Strikers was developed where I live :D

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

I didn't even know Nintendo Canada develop games

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA