Forums - Sony Discussion - How the psp go got screwed

Xxain said:
Xbbjf9s said:
Xxain said:
Xbbjf9s said:
gurglesletch said:
It was launched at 250$

ps3 launched at 600 but people still bought it

your comparing the GO nothing but a redesign to a full fledge new machine commin off the PS2?

both are considered too pricy but alas my point has been missed. Sony f'd up by making the thing all digital.

the point isnt missed just wrong... around the part where you said PSP is ahead of its time... how can it be ahead of its time if it was modeled after iphone and other current smart phones?

I'm just saying that sony made an all digital gaming system when nobody wants that...yet, the psp sells well (except for na) so it's not like nobody wants a psp

Around the Network
Xbbjf9s said:
Xxain said:
Xbbjf9s said:
Xxain said:
Xbbjf9s said:
gurglesletch said:
It was launched at 250$

your comparing the GO nothing but a redesign to a full fledge new machine commin off the PS2?

both are considered too pricy but alas my point has been missed. Sony f'd up by making the thing all digital.

the point isnt missed just wrong... around the part where you said PSP is ahead of its time... how can it be ahead of its time if it was modeled after iphone and other current smart phones?

I'm just saying that sony made an all digital gaming system when nobody wants that...yet, the psp sells well (except for na) so it's not like nobody wants a psp

speaking from Xxperience - I REALLY wanted a PSP GO! but when I saw the price tag for something that is basic redesign... I said hell no. The PSP as a whole has gotten screwed because of SONY's bad handling of it. PSP was ignored for years and SONY's finally wanted to fix it..it was far to late. PSP damage is permanent thats why PS2 needs to come so it can be a fresh start

Xxain said:
Xbbjf9s said:
Xxain said:
Xbbjf9s said:
Xxain said:
Xbbjf9s said:
gurglesletch said:
It was launched at 250$

speaking from Xxperience - I REALLY wanted a PSP GO! but when I saw the price tag for something that is basic redesign... I said hell no. The PSP as a whole has gotten screwed because of SONY's bad handling of it. PSP was ignored for years and SONY's finally wanted to fix it..it was far to late. PSP damage is permanent thats why PS2 needs to come so it can be a fresh start

I want one too, getting one friday. The price doesn't bother me at all since I have paid more for less (cell phone comments earlier). Sony did handle the psp horribly, i doubt psp2 can fix it the damage further done by the go...I guess I should say sony screwed the psp name. Even if the price was lower I don't think people arent ready to get rid of discs, we have all these phones and systems that can download songs and movies but CDs and DVDs are far from gone when they could be.

@Xbbjf9s
Don't waste your breath. Some people just hate the psp go no matter what. In my opinion there are many reasons for which it has been doing terribly. The most important one is money. A very expensive handheld offering less than the psp3000, with no umd as an option (and we all know that most of us want to own a physical copy of each game we buy). But most imporantly the high price of games that the PSN offers is what keeps gamers from buying one. Plus many prefer 3000 since they can play games fro free if they hack it. Bottom line although games never looked better in a handheld, it needs a price cut as soon as possible, in order to sell. Also more and much cheaper games on PSN.

naruball said:
@Xbbjf9s
Don't waste your breath. Some people just hate the psp go no matter what. In my opinion there are many reasons for which it has been doing terribly. The most important one is money. A very expensive handheld offering less than the psp3000, with no umd as an option (and we all know that most of us want to own a physical copy of each game we buy). But most imporantly the high price of games that the PSN offers is what keeps gamers from buying one. Plus many prefer 3000 since they can play games fro free if they hack it. Bottom line although games never looked better in a handheld, it needs a price cut as soon as possible, in order to sell. Also more and much cheaper games on PSN.

You think the psp2 will turn things around? If they throw some Kevin Butler at it ..........

Around the Network

I hope so, but to be honest, I don't think it will. If they haven't learned from their past mistakes then it's gonna be another falilure. I'm sure it will sell much more than the go, but not enough. Although the psp has many cool exclusives (like MGS: peace walker, Final Fantasy: Crisis core etc.), it doesn't have any major exlusives like Pokemon. Keven Butler might help a bit, but he can't save it (at least in America, since it's doing fine in Japan and ok in others).

naruball said:
I hope so, but to be honest, I don't think it will. If they haven't learned from their past mistakes then it's gonna be another falilure. I'm sure it will sell much more than the go, but not enough. Although the psp has many cool exclusives (like MGS: peace walker, Final Fantasy: Crisis core etc.), it doesn't have any major exlusives like Pokemon. Keven Butler might help a bit, but he can't save it (at least in America, since it's doing fine in Japan and ok in others).

Needs to drop to $99 (3000 model) once that happens it will sell at leat twice as much as it is now (I hope).

Yeah, that would definitely help. i think it's a shame that only a few people have experienced the awesomeness of psp. Oh well...

alfredofroylan said:

It's just a useless overpriced device with no backward support for the people that bought PSP games in the past. Maybe it's ahead of its time on the useless gadgets field.

"B....Bu........ But I'll give 10 free games!!!!!"

Useless?  Hey, is being blatantly, objectively wrong part of the definition of trolling, because if so...

Anyway, IMO the only thing you got right was 'overpriced.'  Sales would be very good if it were priced at $149, below the PSP-3000 like it should have been.  Sony is dead-set on collecting a premium for the hardware, however, rather than getting units out there to sell the software.

The Go was not overpriced.

You can't even use a regular PSP without a memstick, and a 16GB stick is gonna cost set you back a good $100.

PSP + 2 GB stick costs about $189.99. The UMD functionality.. shouldn't matter to a new purchaser. Why on earth would Sony want to sell hardware (possibly for a loss, given the cost of 16GB of flash memory) to an old PSP owner? They make money form software. Utterly invalid complaint.

The Go's problem is that it unveils the true price of owning a handheld to the user. The Wii/360 approach of dealing the price out in smaller, more digestable, chunks simply works better for sales.