By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Getting PMP... Zune HD likely, ZHD/Xbox 360 questions.

OK, so here's the story, I want a nice media player, main focus is Music, videos, and to a lesser extent, movies. I don't need games, or silly little "Apps", as I have a DS lite and I am very happy with it, and i believe the best games _need buttons_. Only portable upgrade I will do is the 3DS when it comes out. In the past, I have used my phone (Samsung A737) as my media player, and I had an adapter. 3 words: Pain in the ass

Anyway, my phone broke, I've been using my mom's shitty Krazr, and my contract comes up in... about a month. I looked for decent phones I could afford (not requiring a data plan) with a 3.5mm audio jack and only the "Karma" came up. I will not buy the karma (ugleh and lame). Only phone I can get is the samsung impression... No 3.5mm DX

So, I'm going in this time. I've never bought a portable media device. I've always either used my DS (hacking) or my phone. I have a hatred toward apple, for many reasons. Do NOT suggest the iPod Touch or iPad to me. My brother had one and I don't want it. I REALLY want the Creative Zii Egg (look it up, it will blow your mind), but it seems this device may never see the light of the market production, and I'm not buying the $400 developer's version, and I have been dying without my music.

I dislike syncing (i <3 drag-and drop), but I do like the sleekness of current-generation, I like lightweight and smallness and I like touchscreens. The HD Radio sounds kinda cool (although I many never use it) Although the Zune HD has no replaceable battery pack, I can oversee that, as it has a longer battery life than the touch. The price ($165 at amazon for 16GB model) is very nice as well. So far, the Zune HD seems like the right choice for me.

One feature that peaked my interest in the Zune HD: HD Output to TV. Paying ~$80 for the doc is not worth it though. I DO have an XBOX 360 (and 2 PS3's if that would work?), and I know they can sync for the most part the same as a doc... And the 360 is in my room and I have my TV wired to my stereo. X360's are also fairly popular in my area.

Main questions:

-Any other suggestions?
-Any loss in this 360 setup vs. the dock (besides slight portability)?
-Anything really important applications/updates I should d/l with the Zune HD? I've seen a guitar tuning app... I know the xbox has a fb app and the ipod touch has a YT app. Those would probably be nice, but those are all and I can live without them. 

Thank you in advance!

Around the Network

I recently got a Zune HD after using the iPod Touch for about a year and a half. Best decision I ever made. The Zune HD is such a sleek player and its really really small and leight weight. When I first got it in my hand I was blown away. The screen is also very impressive, love the OLED screens cause the darker colours are so much more dark then other screens and its so vibrant and bright looking. Plus the Zune software is great to use, much easier and faster than iTunes. I suggest you download the Zune software and get your music library ready before your Zune arrives, cause then its just a matter of connecting, synching and its go time. Also, I never seemed to get the movie watching thing going with the iPod Touch, but with the Zune HD, its easy as pie. And it looks so much better on the Zune HD screen. I watch all my TV shows on my way back and forth to work in the train, its awesome.

Not sure about the Xbox 360 part. I have one myself but I see no reason to use my Zune with the Xbox 360 as I already have my PC hooked up to my Xbox 360 for media streaming and stuff, but it will work fine and all the music and videos will work fine and look great through your Xbox 360. No need for the $80 dock. Plus, the Zune HD was fairly cheap and it has double the size then my Touch for less money. Apps are great to, really addicted to Solitaire hehe. So go buy one!

You aint found shit!

kowenicki said:
zune hd is a sensational music player... much better than ipods.

screen is amazing, best there is.

Zune software is a joy after itunes.

apps.... not so good. Lots of unofficial apps but not many from MS as of yet. This will improve in the next 12 months though.

Zune HD is a media god, its so much better than my shitty phone. I gotta send mine back to MS though :(

Apps dont even bother with em, as for the Xbox 360 and Zune, you can

• Put xbox data on the zune, like saved games and DLC. (yay!)
  • Stream music from the zune to the xbox.
  • watch videos in fabalous 480o
  • charge your zune through xbox
  • put videos from your xbox onto the zune and watch them on the zune.

You can also get a Windows Mobile 7 phone.. It'll have Zune software built in. Won't be out till later in the year though. But I prefer my player and phone to be separate, so it doesn't drain the phone battery. Battery life on the Zune HD is outstanding. I can go two full 10 hour days before recharging..

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Garnett said:
kowenicki said:

apps.... not so good. Lots of unofficial apps but not many from MS as of yet. This will improve in the next 12 months though.

Zune HD is a media god, its so much better than my shitty phone. I gotta send mine back to MS though :(

You can charge your Zune through anything with a USB outlet

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Around the Network
Garnett said:
kowenicki said:

Hm... wait, 480o? is that supposed to be an i? My xbox is connected in full 1080p HD (currently Prog cables, soon HDMI to get rid of screen-door effects) Why wouldn't the Xbox read it off like a HDD and just play the video in at least 720p?

The dock lets you do 720p... see, kowenicki said:

"and all the music and videos will work fine and look great through your Xbox 360. No need for the $80 dock"

I'm confused... I really don't wanna buy this dock, but I wanna be able to play HD video off of my zune onto my TV...

pbroy said:
Garnett said:
kowenicki said:

You can charge your Zune through anything with a USB outlet

Yes, but I have read that USB chargin is slower than AC (wall) charging over the years due to not being able to output as much power?

^^That's true, but the Zune only comes with a USB cable, but if you have an adapter that goes from USB to 120, then your set.

I think what Garnett ment about 480o was 480p on the Zune's OLED screen.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

pbroy said:
^^That's true, but the Zune only comes with a USB cable, but if you have an adapter that goes from USB to 120, then your set.

I think what Garnett ment about 480o was 480p on the Zune's OLED screen.

Hmm, not sure on that one... What  charging port does the Zune HD have? I can't tell from photos....

Oh, well if that's what he meant, then yeah, that is awesome :)

It's a special end that plugs into the zune and then a USB end that goes into the outlet. Something like a USB to 120 plug should work:

http://www.amazon.com/Zune-AC-Adapter/dp/B000IXP932/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274565893&sr=8-6

or you can always buy a zune 120 charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Travel-Charger-Microsoft-120GB/dp/B001XY69FM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274565955&sr=1-5

Personally I'd go with the first one, you can use it to charge other USB devices also.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER