By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Should Obama's aunt be allowed to stay in USA?

Should Obama's aunt be allowed to stay in USA?

She should be deported...She broke the law!!! 18 72.00%

Allowed to stay...She's related to Obama!!! 2 8.00%

Who cares? Illegal immigr... 4 16.00%

I would prefer not to comment on the story!!! 1 4.00%

Total:25

She was granted asylum by the courts, yes? Then she should be allowed to stay.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
I wonder why she was rejected for asylum in 2004?

That'd be the make or break deal for me.

because she had no legal reason for asylum. she still doesn't.

psrock said:
FootballFan said:
Sorry I presumed the aunt had the same surname as Barrack.

Let me rephrase:

Zeituni Onyango needs to get to grips with the facts laws shouldn't be broken like when she overstayed her visa

and she got a lawyer and was allowed to stay. I am not even sure Obama is even close these side of the family. It's only a big story because she's related to the president.

Kind of the impression I got as well, it doesn't seem like something Obama would be dumb enough to get close to...I mean there is potential for massive political damage if he were seen as leveraging his power to aid her.  And honestly just the fact that the press makes a big deal out of her case might be enough to influence it...so it makes sense to me that he really has nothing to do with it.

But I still don't think she should be allowed to stay when she has already overstayed her visa, for me that has nothing to do with who she is related to, it's just sort of the law.  The whole asylum thing is just a transparent attempt to game the immigration system.  If she really wanted to stay so bad why wasn't she taking care of renewing her visa before it lapsed? From what I understand if you are a semi-productive member of society already here with a visa it's a lot easier to get it renewed than request asylum after your visa expires.

To Each Man, Responsibility