By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - dose anyone else think us europeans pay to much?

Legend11 said:
You guys definitely get ripped off. Of course there's the cost of translating the game into several languages and the amount of duplicate manpower because of so many countries to take into consideration. Still prices should be nowhere near what they are there, especially for hardware.

y dont they just bring games out in europe just in english 51% of europeans speak english so this will save some money (but i dont think the french will like this idea lol)

Around the Network

I really feel sorry for you guys, i never used to know how it felt until the Canadian Dollar passed the USD and now we get screwed out the ass on everything. But its easy for us to go to the US and get all the deals, as most of us live under a 2hour drive to major US cities.

Well down under, new release games on the PS3 can be up to $119, 360 games are generally $99-$109 and Wii games vary from $79.99-$99.99 when first released. Don`t even get me started on console prices. The top-notch PS3 is $999.99 while the 40gb is $699.99. The 360 elite is just around $700, the 20gb retails for between $500-$550 and the Wii is $399. We get ripped off shockingly down under yet it doesn`t stop me buying games.

Owner of Wii, DS and 360, planning on getting a PS3 when it's cheaper. Supporter of all consoles.

What NJ5 said. I'm pretty sure there's a healthy dose of cash thrown down for the game, and some more for a luxury tax of some kind.

I'm curious exactly how much is retail, how much is conversion, and how much is something like a luxury tax.

i love xbox 360 said:
rudyrsr8 said:
yeah that sucks for u guys but isn't ur standard of living higher? I do think it is unfair but 360 is American so they focus on us first. Just like N and Sony focus more attetion of Japan first. Japanese prices are more than America too. Its jsut that our market has more competition where this market is up for grabs so the PL decrease for each trying to get market share in the largest market in the world and since we have one of the highest internet based societies not saying Europe does but Eruo is not a huge market for games considering multi languages etc localization u know.

u say that europe isnt a huge gaming market but did u notice that the uk sold more consoles this week than japn which is the second biggest gaming market so ur wrong to say europe isnt huge gaming market

I am saying that Europe is designated as the third market for Japanese companies. Therefore they are later in getting games and hardware. Also less focus is on Euro than Japan and America which you can not deny is the truth. 

"Like you know"

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Yes but I am happy that I don't live in South Amerika or Australia.

Just be happy we don't live in Africa or anywhere in Asia except Japan, China and Korea.

Spartan said:
Well down under, new release games on the PS3 can be up to $119, 360 games are generally $99-$109 and Wii games vary from $79.99-$99.99 when first released. Don`t even get me started on console prices. The top-notch PS3 is $999.99 while the 40gb is $699.99. The 360 elite is just around $700, the 20gb retails for between $500-$550 and the Wii is $399. We get ripped off shockingly down under yet it doesn`t stop me buying games.

you guys are getting screwed hard, now im happy too live in the EU

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Online services have little or no overhead. I doubt it costs Microsoft $5, let alone $50 or $80, to operate the Xbox Live service for anyone. Indeed, since you pay for content on top of that, the service itself should be free.

If the UK is a similar market size to Japan, and translations do not have to be done because English is also the language of the USA, why are things so much more expensive? That removes the "multiple countries", "shipping costs" (Japan -> USA == Japan -> UK), and "translation" arguments. Now we're back to "higher taxes" and "standard of living". Well, we already get higher taxes on our income; so the products should be cheaper to compensate. For the latter, the USA has more, not less, purchasing power than us on an average income.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Now what i find REALLY annoying is that at McDonalds, the hamburger (cheeseburger?) in the US costs 1 USD whereas here its 1 Euro.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

i love xbox 360 said:
Legend11 said:
You guys definitely get ripped off. Of course there's the cost of translating the game into several languages and the amount of duplicate manpower because of so many countries to take into consideration. Still prices should be nowhere near what they are there, especially for hardware.

y dont they just bring games out in europe just in english 51% of europeans speak english so this will save some money (but i dont think the french will like this idea lol)

There was a publisher (I think it was Ubisoft) how said that proper localisations of a game can result in a 100% increase in sales for that market..