By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 on track to easily best 360's 2006 November

why should microsoft cut prices? microsoft has almost no japan base, sony just cut thier price another $100 dollars and still could not outsell the 360. im sorry that is just sad. plus look at the software sales. that tells you if a console is in trouble or not. microsoft just broke the all time entertainment sales record. halo 3 sold $170 million in just 24 hours. i dont believe microsoft is losing anything.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

Absolutely -- if the question was: "Is the PS3 beating the 360?" then the relevant statistic would be 360's figures this year in November, not last year.

However, if we're just asking: "Is the PS3 still relevant? Are sales high enough to justify continued support of the system?" Then I think such a comparison is valid.  

While that may be true, isn't it also setting the bar ridiculously low? Sony is a huge corporation, with billions invested in the PS3. They started this generation with tremendous third-party support, and the widespread assumption that their system would dominate once again. I can't imagine things getting bad enough for the PS3 to disappear from the market entirely; too many people have too much money invested in the platform. Even the Dreamcast's low sales weren't enough to see it pulled from store shelves; the Dreamcast became unviable due to Sega's internal financial problems, not the sales numbers. The PS3 would have had to fail as hard as, say, the N-Gage to stop being stocked at retail, which was essentially impossible.

As far as the other issue under discussion, comparing PS3 2007 sales to 360 2006 sales, this is a very silly metric to use. Comparing "launch aligned" sales with no supporting context leads to some strange results. For instance, did you know that Gamecube 2001 launch numbers were stronger than PS2 2000 ones in America? It's true! I even remember Nintendo fans claiming that Gamecube was going to win, because its sales were outpacing PS2 ones when the launches were compared. Of course we all know how that turned out; the PS2 had a lead of almost 7m units just in America before the Gamecube even got off the ground, turning the "competition" into a laugher. Without the context to explain the situation (e.g. massive PS2 supply shortages early on, huge PS2 install base advantage), you end up with some truly misleading and meaningless statistics.

In short: the PS3 has to beat the 360 right now, not compared to a year ago. Fortunately, it's doing a good job of that outside of America.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Sullla said:

While that may be true, isn't it also setting the bar ridiculously low? Sony is a huge corporation, with billions invested in the PS3. They started this generation with tremendous third-party support, and the widespread assumption that their system would dominate once again.

The 360 also had an entire year with no "next gen" competition to run with.

Despite competition from both the 360 with an already huge install base and the freakish popularity of the Wii, the PS3's first year is comparable if not better than the 360's.

The PS3 will beat the 360.

Smashchu said:
kamil said:
Is it really fair? Im not American but wasn't Black Friday in December last year? If so than it is not very fair.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, so it would never be in December.

Thanksgiving is always the last Thursday of November. Last year that fell on the 30th of Nov, so yes, last year, black friday was in December. It almost never happens. Almost.

cdude1034 said:
leo-j said:

It begins now.(The catch up)

People have been saying this for how long now? Upwards of...8 months? Once it fell behind and it was clear it wasn't coming back. lol.

This isn't Sony hate, it's simply social commentary on how people will always be optimistic about things they really want to do well.

It begins with Lair...

It begins with Ratchet...

It begins with next generation guys, sorry.

I could swear I saw you or someone post this exact same text in another thread.  I mean EXACT.

You are complaining about everyone saying something over and over, and you do the same?

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network
msteel23 said:
why should microsoft cut prices? microsoft has almost no japan base, sony just cut thier price another $100 dollars and still could not outsell the 360. im sorry that is just sad. plus look at the software sales. that tells you if a console is in trouble or not. microsoft just broke the all time entertainment sales record. halo 3 sold $170 million in just 24 hours. i dont believe microsoft is losing anything.

Keep in mind that the 360 is still cheaper than most ps3 models.

bugmenot said:
Smashchu said:
kamil said:
Is it really fair? Im not American but wasn't Black Friday in December last year? If so than it is not very fair.

Thanksgiving is always the last Thursday of November. Last year that fell on the 30th of Nov, so yes, last year, black friday was in December. It almost never happens. Almost.

Thanksgiving is the fourth thursday of November.  If Thanksgiving were on the last thursday, we wouldn't have already celebrated it ;).  Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, therefore Black Friday can never be in December.  Unless my maths are somehow wrong.

bugmenot said:
Smashchu said:
kamil said:

Actually, it is the second to last thursday of every year. It is impossible for Black Friday to be in december. Regardless, the way NPD calculates months would probably compensate for that if it could happen.

The 360 also had an entire year with no "next gen" competition to run with.

Despite competition from both the 360 with an already huge install base and the freakish popularity of the Wii, the PS3's first year is comparable if not better than the 360's.

The PS3 will beat the 360.

There is absolutely no evidence that points to that being true.  Even if the PS3 doubles the previous 360 year it will mean nothing if the 360 is selling better, or as well as the PS3 is currently. If the PS3 starts outselling the 360 by a significan amount world wide you could make a case for 

it beating the 360.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

eugene said:
Well Sony brought out Uncharted with an equal amount of advertising.

Did you actually just say that? Uncharted has had very little advertising on TV whereas I couldn't watch five minutes of TV last November without seeing the "Mad World" Gears of War commercial three times.

I asked Shams to write something up on first year vs first year vs first year even though the PS3 hasn't had a full year in the UK yet he should be able to pull together the last few months in the UK and compare whats there for UK numbers and when it turns 1 in the UK (and a few minor countries) he will be able to update it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453