By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No More Heroes has one of the best stories ever!

I only beat three bosses in NMH2 so I can't comment too much on NMH2's story. But I really did enjoy the story of NMH1.

The tale of Travis Touchdown is one of a misguided social outcast who is obsessed with masculinity. When he accepts the gig to be an assassin, he lives out this uber-alpha male fantasy of killing assassins all the way to #1 so that he can have some sexy time with uber-sexy Sylvia to over-compensate for being a beta male for the first 27 years of his life. Travis Touchdown basically represents every over-compensating geek out there. You know those obnoxious self-proclaimed "hardcore gamers" who are all like "casual gamers are pussies" "these new games these days are for pussies. If you can't handle these uber-hardcore video games like Ninja Gaiden, you aren't a gamer! Durrr"? A bunch of geeky nerds who talk all big behind a computer screen to over-compensate for their lack of masculinity? Well Travis Touchdown is like the wannable alpha male fantasy of those nerds. Travis Touchdown represents that. Ever single over-compensating nerd out there wants to be a badass like Travis and fuck beautiful women like Sylvia Christel. Because being a macho badass who fucks beautiful women, becomes #1 at what he does and brings home bags of cash is what every male in North America is programmed at birth (via social conditioning) to aspire to be. It's the American Dream.

Instead of challenging social norms of masculinity, those same social norms that have oppressed nerdy outcasts like Travis (who has been the beta male for 27 years of his life), Travis decides to embrace those norms head-on. Travis is a victim of the social brainwashing he has been subjected to all of his life.

The whole can't find an "exit" thing. It's a powerful message. Travis chases all of these status symbols of being an alpha male. The uber-masculine violence, the women, the money, the fame (look at the Death Metal boss fight in the first 20-30 minutes of the game. Travis refers to Death Metal's luxurious life as a paradise. And he fantasizes about being #1, being rich in a mansion like Death Metal with hot women, etc.). But then there is no end to that madness. These things don't fill the void in our lives. There is no real paradise to having acquired these things. This is what Death Metal meant, who had all these things (the badassery, the chicks, the money, the mansion, the rockstar fame), when he was telling Travis that this (his glamourous life) was no paradise. I think this is what Suda51 was trying to get at. This whole chase at the American Dream, was meaningless. That life is not about these symbols of status. All of these things are not your ticket to paradise. You can't find the exit with these things.

As naive as Travis seems though, I think deep down he knew that this rat race to #1 was all meaningless. That's why during the Death Metal fight he kept repeating "Can't find the exit, can't find the exit". Deep down Travis knew that these worldly desires didn't make life meaningful. But he just kinda went through the motions. As if he had no other choice.

Around the Network

Well I liked it but there are better IMO

I can never tell if Suda 51's stories are brilliant masterpieces... or if people just over read into everything and they're just weird messed up shit he finds interesting.

He never really seems to confirm there is supposed to be something greater their in substance, though there seems to be.

Killer 7, I think is the best as far as stories go if we're going interpreting Suda 51 stories.

No More Heroes is one of my favourites. It's a game I kind of dislike the first time I played it, but then I tried it once again and I'm glad I did it.
It was so much fun it hurted. Specially when I finished it.

@loves2splooge:  I totally agree. we are all trapped in all those, like you said, symbols of status. But that's all meaningless. And all the rules like go to school, get a job so that you get money and buy a house and a car is meaningless...we all have to find some sorft of "exit" from that, finding something that really makes our life worth living. At first Travis thought that killing people and getting No.1 makes him happy, it was his valve to get all his pain and frustration out and to forget about his meaningless life but he soon realized that this is not what he really wants and that there has to be some meaning in his existence. He wasn't able to find an exit but at the end he finally found his paradise in Sylvia.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
I can never tell if Suda 51's stories are brilliant masterpieces... or if people just over read into everything and they're just weird messed up shit he finds interesting.

He never really seems to confirm there is supposed to be something greater their in substance, though there seems to be.

Killer 7, I think is the best as far as stories go if we're going interpreting Suda 51 stories.

I'm pretty sure Suda51 purposefully tries to convey a message with No More Heroes. I doubt that the people who interpretted No More Heroes got it 100% right. But Suda`s critique of the American Dream (chasing money and social status) and traditional notions of masculinity (male obsession with aggression and sexual conquest) was quite obvious during the Death Metal battle (their conversation before the fight and Travis`monologue during the fight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsDB13IJ8mA (I tried the embed code but it doesnt work on this forum)

Most people who interpretted No More Heroes seem to think the game is a critique of gamers and the gaming industry status quo. I could see that as a possibility but I don`t think it`s as obvious as the attack on the American Dream and traditional notions of masculinity.

Kasz216 said:

in the link loves2splooge posted here, Travis was talking about finding the exit and paradise

now watch the end of NMH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQAOKeUc-A

and the end of NMH2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARu1-2mLTE

This is definitely something deeper.

loves2splooge said:
Kasz216 said:

I'm pretty sure Suda51 purposefully tries to convey a message with No More Heroes. I doubt that the people who interpretted No More Heroes got it 100% right. But Suda`s critique of the American Dream (chasing money and social status) and traditional notions of masculinity (male obsession with aggression and sexual conquest) was quite obvious during the Death Metal battle (their conversation before the fight and Travis`monologue during the fight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsDB13IJ8mA (I tried the embed code but it doesnt work on this forum)

Most people who interpretted No More Heroes seem to think the game is a critique of gamers and the gaming industry status quo. I could see that as a possibility but I don`t think it`s as obvious as the attack on the American Dream and traditional notions of masculinity.

I always get that feeling from Suda's stuff... yet whenever he's interviewed, he always seems to give off a demeanor of it being the exact opposite.  With the reasons he gives for why he does things seem so... different.

No More Heroes is brilliant. Period.

NMH's storytelling seems to be up to interpretation. Suda51 is known to put messages in his games like Hideo Kojima does.