By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Report: Live TV Coming To The Xbox 360

nordlead said:
bobobologna said:
nordlead said:

any cable or satelite company, like Time Warner, Comcast, Dish TV, Direct TV, Verizon, and so on. From what I gather Sky TV is just satelite TV unless they do something special.

anyways, meh, as most companies give away 1 free DVR already and I doubt this will be any cheaper than buying the service directly. Cool if you have an X360 and want to integrate everything.

Do any of them offer live TV streaming over the internet?

First off, why do they have to support that before joining up with Microsoft?

Secondly, that isn't even the dificult part. The dificult part is getting all the content liscensed so you can show it. Putting it over the internet with Microsoft's Silverlight and some additional code to service the information is the easy part cause Microsoft already did everything for you. All Microsoft needed to partner with someone is people who already have access to the content. It's sorta like how they brought Netflix. Sending to the X360 was the easy part, Netflix working all the deals with the studios is the hard part.

Obviously a lot of this is speculation, so I'll leave it at that. Now, if they offer TV cheaper than via Cable or Satelite, then it might be interesting, but I'll have to see that to believe it.

I'm just curious because it seems like an odd place to announce something like this.  I could see this being announced at CES, but E3?

I mean, do you really think that if a company were going to announce live TV streaming over the internet, do you really think that they would save it for Microsoft's E3 press conference?

Around the Network

MS announced their Netflix partnership at E3 2008. This is very similar.

JaggedSac said:

No, it's not.

This is talking about streaming live TV on the internet.  Something that I don't believe any company in the US currently does.

I could see them announcing a partnership to bring Hulu or another similar service to XBox Live.  But not live TV.

EDIT: "GameFocus has learned from a trusted source that Microsoft is ready to announce the arrival of a live television broadcasting service to the Xbox 360 platform by 2011."

I can watch lots of live TV over the internet. However, None of it is from a single cable or satelite company. With the NFL I can watch live football on CBS (or NBC can't remember). With ESPN I can watch live coverage and replays if I have Verizon. There are more, but none are centralized.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

bobobologna said:
JaggedSac said:

No, it's not.

This is talking about streaming live TV on the internet.  Something that I don't believe any company in the US currently does.

I could see them announcing a partnership to bring Hulu or another similar service to XBox Live.  But not live TV.

EDIT: "GameFocus has learned from a trusted source that Microsoft is ready to announce the arrival of a live television broadcasting service to the Xbox 360 platform by 2011."

What does that have to do with announcing this at E3?  Netflix is offering video content through XBox.  They announced that at E3.  Why would this new functionality not be something that would be announceable at E3?

Comcast offers live Sports:

http://www.comcast.com/About/PressRelease/PressReleaseDetail.ashx?PRID=910

Around the Network

Sounds interesting. I guess we'll see what is available and at what cost.

I hope it's Verizon. I already have FiOS TV and Internet and it is so awesome. Much better than Comcast or other cable providers and no internet caps!

I don't get it, but it sounds interesting.

Why is the term being used PVR not DVR? It is still digital so should just be DVR; PVR just sounds terrible compared to how DVR flows off your tongue. Anyways, this sounds nice since it has a PVR / DVR. If it didn't then it would be a waste of time. I hate commercials with a passion.

Does this have anything to do with that AT&T U-verse thing they announced early this year?