By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bungie and Activision Announce Exclusive, Worldwide Partnership

selnor said:
Brennan said:
selnor said:
Barozi said:
Brennan said:
disolitude said:
Brennan said:
Yeah sure, losing their main exclusive dev (Bungie) and letting him going multiplat with Activision won't affect 360 at all. Er, what ?

It's not like 360 had tons of flagship developers. They had only one, Bungie.

Seriously dude...don't you see you are the only one waiving the fanboy flag around here.

Do I have to list the exclusives that Sony list from last gen? Ms didn't lose any here...

Don't worry about MS, they have enough cash to by Valve, Epic and every other remaining independent developer if they wanted to. The key aspect is that Bungie did not want to work on Halo anymore and you can bet they are not a cheap team to secure. Now MS has an oportunity to use that cash and get top end tallent to make the next Halo game.

Otherwise maybe next bungie title is a rail shooter...

I could list those MS lost to PS3 too, like Bioshock, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean, Ninja Gaiden, Braid, GTA Episodes, so many more...

And yeah, MS just lost any future exclusivity for EVERY game from Bungie, so it's huge and it's actually a lot worse than losing just one game. It will matter a lot when people will decide between Xbox 720 and PS4... It further increases the already big gap in exclusive quality and quantity.

No amount of PR spin can change facts, which is it's a bad news for MS and a good news for Sony.

Would you PLEASE stop spreading lies ? That's probably the 5th time you've said it and it's simply WRONG.

FACT !

Any Halo game ever made by Bungie after Reach for example will never be on anything other than Xbox. It'sowned by M$. LOL.

Who cares about future Halo games when they're made by an unknown dev... lol

They could still sell due to the name, but other than that, real Halo = Bungie and it's over.

Bungie games is what cares.

You haven't got a clue. 343 Studios is a First Party Studio built by M$ last year. LOL. Some devs from Bungie are already working there. And more go there after Reach is finished. LOL. Halo is far from over. LOL.

You know what 343 is in Halo right?

Lets not forget about the mentioned Spawnpoint and FireBird studios, and they bought BigPark. MSFT has been pretty quiet on these things for awhile now.

Around the Network
selnor said:
Brennan said:
selnor said:
Barozi said:
Brennan said:
disolitude said:
Brennan said:
Yeah sure, losing their main exclusive dev (Bungie) and letting him going multiplat with Activision won't affect 360 at all. Er, what ?

Seriously dude...don't you see you are the only one waiving the fanboy flag around here.

Do I have to list the exclusives that Sony list from last gen? Ms didn't lose any here...

Don't worry about MS, they have enough cash to by Valve, Epic and every other remaining independent developer if they wanted to. The key aspect is that Bungie did not want to work on Halo anymore and you can bet they are not a cheap team to secure. Now MS has an oportunity to use that cash and get top end tallent to make the next Halo game.

I could list those MS lost to PS3 too, like Bioshock, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean, Ninja Gaiden, Braid, GTA Episodes, so many more...

And yeah, MS just lost any future exclusivity for EVERY game from Bungie, so it's huge and it's actually a lot worse than losing just one game. It will matter a lot when people will decide between Xbox 720 and PS4... It further increases the already big gap in exclusive quality and quantity.

No amount of PR spin can change facts, which is it's a bad news for MS and a good news for Sony.

Would you PLEASE stop spreading lies ? That's probably the 5th time you've said it and it's simply WRONG.

FACT !

Any Halo game ever made by Bungie after Reach for example will never be on anything other than Xbox. It'sowned by M$. LOL.

They could still sell due to the name, but other than that, real Halo = Bungie and it's over.

You haven't got a clue. 343 Studios is a First Party Studio built by M$ last year. LOL. Some devs from Bungie are already working there. And more go there after Reach is finished. LOL. Halo is far from over. LOL.

Who cares ? 343 is not Bungie, you really think you can build a random dev team from scratch and they'll get as talented as Bungie ? No way.

Halo was Bungie, now all that's left is the brand.

Like I said I would have been fine with multi if they had anyone, and I mean ANYONE publish there games except Activision. Activision is a dirty corrupt blight on the industry that's only out for one thing. CASH. And this move honestly makes me wonder if Bungie is saying basically screw the fans and people that helped get us here lets jump on the Activision bandwagon and pump out as much quick cash as possible. Just doesn't seem right. All I know is with the way Bobby and Activision work Bungie better start praying that Activision doesn't try a hostile take over of Bungie. They've done it in the past and I could see them doing it again.

Halo: Reach will still kick ass and it will always be 360 exclusive.

Bungie wanted freedom in 2007 and got it. Now they are going to develop a new title that will be multi-platform. Congratulations Bungie.

It has become obvious that 360 and PS3 are here to stay. And it is becoming more and more obvious that in order for AAA games to be made on modern consoles they have to be multi-platform to provide publishers with the return required from such an upfront, risky investment.

The best development studios can't justify $50-100 million projects for just for one platform. They have to go multi-platform to fund the projects and reap the rewards of their efforts. Expect Insomniac to be next. And it will be a trend that continues until there are no first party studios left.

Anyone that questions Microsoft's ability continue after this, doesn't know anything about Microsoft.

Brennan said:
selnor said:
Brennan said:
selnor said:
Barozi said:
Brennan said:
disolitude said:
Brennan said:

FACT !

Who cares ? 343 is not Bungie, you really think you can build a random dev team from scratch and they'll get as talented as Bungie ? No way.

How about you wait until 343 makes a Halo game and then make an informed decision before you cast it to the depths of hell.

Around the Network
Xero said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Brennan said:
JaggedSac said:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=244775

MS Response:

"Our partnership with Bungie as a first-party developer for Xbox 360 remains unchanged, and right now we're deeply engaged with them on the development of Halo Reach, which is poised to be the biggest game of 2010."

Translation : "It hurts. May you all Bungie scumbags die in hell. But please make Halo Reach another AAA game first before going PS3 / 360."

Priceless. So looks like MS doesn't know the definition of a 1st party dev either. Or they lie again.

Their PR talks look more and more like Iraqi Information Minister stuff recently, between that and "FF13 will sell more on 360" (that one was hilarious, they were outsold like 3 or 4:1). Next PR : "There are no tanks in Bagdad, we're winning the war" ?

Here is a reminder MS :

"In the video game industry, a first-party developer is a developer that is part of a company that actually manufactures a video game console."

List of 1st party devs, strangely Bungie is not on it :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:First-party_video_game_developers

Bad journalism or another MS lie ?

There was a nice discussion in this thread aboput bungie, halo, future projects etc etc.... but then Brennan came in to ruin the fun.

You said MS shopuld buy / build 1st party studios... Do you really think this way? You prefer Sony consoles, someone might even call you a fanboy, but I won't go this way. Imagine MS really goes out and buys studios They could buy Remedy, Epic, Mistwalker, Valhalla Games, Valve, Bioware and Capcom with the money they earned this month... Do you really want this? Please be honest.

MS has a lot of talented studios and probably a lot of games in the pipeline we haven't even heard of yet. Lionhead, Rare, Turn10, 343 Industries and Firebird Studios all have at least one game in development we don't know anything about yet.

And they have awesome 3rd party support. Actually the best  for any  console. Remedy, Epic, Mistwalker say Hi.

We knew that Bungie would go multiplat since 2007. The one thing that makes me wonder is why they picked Activision. I hope Activision does not ruin Bungies games in any way.

Lol you really think there'd be any viability in purchasing big publishers like Capcom or Valve? These are god awful examples. I'd be happy to see them buy Mistwalker, Epic (doubt Epic would go for it since they have other obligations). Remedy isn't viable either, 1 game every 5 years is not good enough for the nature of the games they produce and Bioware is a subsidiary of EA... So Mistwalker and Valhalla games... sure why not. 

They need to be looking at snapping up new and upcomming developers rather than pre-existing and heavily established. 

You

[  ] did understand my post

[x] did not understand my post

I never said they should buy these studios, I said they could if they wanted to.
Heck, MS offered 43 billion USD for Yahoo. They can buy any developer they want. Financially there is no limit. That's what I was talking about.

Another thing that needs to be mentioned: The customer does not care about 1st or 3rd party exclusives. All they see is "exclusive". That is enough. 3rd party exclusives like Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell Conviction (and hopefully soon Alan Wake) did very well and they are exclusive. That is what counts. Nobody cared if they were made by 1st or 3rd party studios.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Brennan said:
selnor said:
Brennan said:
selnor said:
Barozi said:
Brennan said:
disolitude said:
Brennan said:

FACT !

So the 20 or so guys heading 343 that worked on every Halo game wont know how to make Halo 4? Your dreaming.

Also as mentioned M$ have created other first party studios Firebird studios and Spawnpoint. As well as buying BigPark. M$ have been quietly making their First Party Studios bigger. They have more now than ever before. Add to that Turn 10, LionHead and Rare. M$ are definately keeping an eye on the future.

Troll got his facts can we get back on topic now? What kind of IP does one sign a 10 yr deal for? Some sort of role playing game that could turn into an MMO? Another big universe IP that could have multiple spin offs? Im really shocked that the deal is so long and only pertains to the  one IP.

As Bungie seems to be over with FPS for the moment, I would like to see them developing a new game similar to their Myth: The Fallen Lords. They don't have the IP anymore, but it shouldn't be hard to re-acquire it nowadays.

Duplicate, sorry.