By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 16 - Brawlsville

I guess we passed an agreement with the subspace army, we don't kill you during the day, you don't kill us during the night and we'll all live happily ever after.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Right back where we started. I'll be posting that massive post I had ready when Day One ended. I won't edit anything, so it may sound like I am talking about Yesterday like it is Today.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I was actually going to change my vote, but since it is Twilight, I guess that won't be happening.

My vote on Falcon was to get people to take the game more seriously and get people talking.  That goal accomplished, I was going to unvote him.

There have been enough posts Today that a few sketchy things have popped up.

FoS: Stefl

Nikells said:
Stefl1504 said:

Well... I really can't justify my vote, but he seems very inactive, haven't seen any post since page one, so I justify my vote by inactivity... If I am wrong please point out when he posted last.

When you voted for him initially it was because "you thought his avatar looked untrustworthy" which seemed kind of a joke vote back then. But now the game has started proper and you seem to be sticking to your vote despite the flimsy reasoning.
Seems strange to me.
Stefl1504 said:

Well... okay I admit I don't have a real reason, but so far I am going to stick with my vote until someone more suspicious is out there...

You could lynch me... or anyone else.

I just think that the game is about lynching characters and I think someone should be lynched, I just choose him because there was already another vote for him and neither dsister and Truckosaurus were on my list of suspicious guys...

This doesn't sit well with me either.  This just doesn't seem like something a townie would say.
Stefl1504 said:

Okay here it goes:

Change vote: No Lynch

This came after not long after Trangentspree said for the second time that he didn't want the day to end just yet.  I also expressed agreement with Trangentspree after he said it the first time.  I see no downside for the town to let the day go on.  We would have only gained more information.  However, the mafia would benefit from a shortened day.

Speaking of which, FoS: Dsister

dsister44 said:

Come on people one more vote! Screw Trangent!

For the same reason as explained above.

FoS: TruckOSaurus

theRepublic said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I really don't agree with theRepublic's stats based reasons for lynching someone on the first day. I believe we should only lynch someone if we have a good reason to, not because voting no lynch "removes a town kill", a town myslynch is worst than a mafia kill.

A town mis-lynch is worse than a mafia kill?  You're going to have to explain that one.  I'm really interested.

My take:

Let me preface this by saying that mis-lynches are bad, bad things to be avoided.  However, I'll take one any day of the week over a mafia kill.

When trying to lynch someone, we at least have a chance of getting mafia.  A mafia kill has zero chance of getting mafia, unless we have multiple mafia factions (unlikely in this game).

We also have a public record of the mis-lynch.  We know who supported it, who was against it, who barely commented on it.  All that information can be used later in the game.  A mafia kill is done in secret.  We don't know the reasoning, and it can be difficult to parse.  It could be the murdered person was on the right track, it could be to make someone else look guilty, it could be to get rid of a historically strong player, it could be to get rid of someone the town thinks is innocent, it could be to get rid of a talkative player, it could be that the mafia thought that player had a strong power role, etc.

That is why I prefer the town maintain all the killing power it can.

This still doesn't sit well with me.  Neither does his subsequent 'clarification'.  A town mis-lynch is never worse than a mafia kill.  Even though they both result in the death of an innocent, the mis-lynch would have pages of reaction to analyze, while a mafia kill has little to nothing to go on due to all the various reasons I pointed out above.

Here is more of our back-and-forth to look at:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?post=3360559

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?post=3360652

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?post=3360689

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?post=3360902

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:

This came after not long after Trangentspree said for the second time that he didn't want the day to end just yet.  I also expressed agreement with Trangentspree after he said it the first time.  I see no downside for the town to let the day go on.  We would have only gained more information.  However, the mafia would benefit from a shortened day.

Speaking of which, FoS: Dsister

dsister44 said:

Come on people one more vote! Screw Trangent!

For the same reason as explained above.

I said that for two reasons. 
  • Nothing was happening and I was bored
  • And I was trying to mess with Trangent.

Thank you Republic, I was going to ask you for that.

But I'm more suspicious of Nikells than I am of Stefl. I can't take the time right now to review the thread to remind myself why, but I got a bad feeling from Nikells yesterday, although not extremely strongly.

FoS Nikells. Who else feels the same way?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Going by what therepublic said, shouldn't we suspect the people that voted no lynch to get the day over with?

SuperAdrianK said:
Going by what therepublic said, shouldn't we suspect the people that voted no lynch to get the day over with?

It's true that the mafia would have an incentive to end the day to avoid the possibility of self-implication or simply the town interacting and becoming smarter collectively. 

But on the other hand, there comes a point where some of us feel there are diminishing returns on Day 1 and it's just dragging on pointlessly and we want to move the game along. 

You should judge for yourself which motivation people had when all those people added to the No Lynch vote and ended the day. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Okay, I suspect stefyl the most because because he voted for someone just for the hell of it, (but I guess this happens to every 1st day) and then switched to no vote. if we assume that stefyl is with the subspace, then the person he voted for was also with the subspace.

Oh and what I just said is just speculation imo.

SuperAdrianK said:
Okay, I suspect stefyl the most because because he voted for someone just for the hell of it, (but I guess this happens to every 1st day) and then switched to no vote. if we assume that stefyl is with the subspace, then the person he voted for was also with the subspace.

Oh and what I just said is just speculation imo.

I don't see how that follows. 

Stefl1504 said:
Well... okay I admit I don't have a real reason, but so far I am going to stick with my vote until someone more suspicious is out there...

You could lynch me... or anyone else.

I just think that the game is about lynching characters and I think someone should be lynched, I just choose him because there was already another vote for him and neither dsister and Truckosaurus were on my list of suspicious guys...

I take it back, I can't really find whatever made me suspicious of Nikells.  I'd still like to know what people think of him though. 

As for Stef ... oh, Stef.  If there's one thing he has been consistent on it's the fact that he's obsessed with the idea of voting people. 
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?post=3353705&page=1&postnum=19
This fixation on the game mechanic of lynching people, in light of the quoted post, seems like classic noob behavior for a townie.  One would expect a noob mafia player to fixate on the nightkills.  Of course, it could be that he's a mafia overcompensating for his having an ability the town doesn't by obsessing over the ability he does share with us; or he could be roleplaying. 

On the other hand, look at these three posts
"I kind of feel like voting for Falcon095... he feels so untrustworthy with his "dog" avatar"

(SM128 votes Falcon)

"Hummm... Okay then my vote...
"VOTE: Falcon095
"like mario said that guy with his dog is... well... not trustworthy... the dog seems like a part of an evil plan to invade a world..."

(responding to 'stop joke voting ppl')
"mine was also real... I don't think voting is just a mere JOKE!!!"

Stef, you seem pretty defensive here for a guy who voted someone based on Gir being untrustworty.  Maybe there really is a vast difference between voting 'for no reason' and 'as a joke', but I have come to share others' suspicions of you.  And considering that even if you're innocent you may still be a liability to the town, I feel less risky in doing this: 

Vote Stefl1504

Get in here and defend yourself if you want to live. 

P.S.  Also, you suspected Falcon (if we can call it that when all you have to go on is his avatar) and expressed a desire to vote him before SM128's vote.  This contradicts your later claim that you only voted him because there was a vote already on him.  Please explain this as well. 

[edit:  unbolded quoted vote for clarity]