By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 16 - Brawlsville

Nikells said:

A) Perhaps I'm mistaken but I assumed the game does not have a specific number of rounds and ends when either
 - The mafia outnumber or equal the townies.
- The town lynch all the mafia.

If we lynch a townie today (and three out of four times we're going to do that) that means its one less night kill the mafia have to make to end the game. Am I wrong about this?

B) I can see the logic in this: I don't see how probably killing a townie now is going to change this situation though?

Ideally we should attempt to lynch a mafia today but without any evidence and the odds stacked against that if we do it at random it seems a bad idea. I'm still not sold on your plan at all.

A) Correct on your assumptions.  It is just hard to think about how the game plays out over the course of several days.  I have it written down on paper in front of me at my computer so I can see it instead of just think about it.

What you said before was: "If we lynch townies for the mafia this is effectively shortening the number of rounds we have in total."

Here is the reason that is not true.  Say we lynch everyday and there is one kill every night.  It will always take 4 mis-lynches to end the game with a mafia win.  Whether that 4th mis-lynch takes place Day 4, 5, or 6, it is still always the 4th mis-lynch.  So the town can lynch three townies and still win on the last possible day.  Of course, the more mis-lynches there are, the town's margin for error shrinks.  It is sort of like the town gets 3 free misses.  The 4th strike is game over.

Let's say we no lynch Day One.  That is followed by one lynch everyday, and a kill every night.  In that case, we might only get 3 mis-lynches before the game ends.  Let's say we mis-lynch 3 times in a row.  Night 4 would start with 7 people.  If the mafia get a kill, we never get a fourth chance.  In the above paragraph, Night 3 starts with 8 people, so the mafia can't end the game and the town gets a 4th shot no matter what.  So with a no lynch Day One, the town gets only 2 free misses.  If the town misses a 3rd time, then the mafia get a shot at ending the game during the night before the town gets a chance at a 4th lynch.

So yes, the mafia has to make an extra kill during the night, but the town has less room for error during the available days.

Getting into what Final-Fan and I were talking about, missed night kills or extra night kills change this dynamic.  In the lynch everyday scenario, a single miss or extra kill sends us into the endgame of the Day One no lynch.  However, we can then decide to no lynch to put us back into the favorable first scenario.

B) Let's say that we no lynch on Day One and come to that situation in the late game where it would be beneficial to no lynch again.  What that means is that had we lynched Day One instead, we would have naturally come to the good scenario.  We would not have to no lynch at all, instead of no lynch twice.  The no lynches end up giving the mafia an extra kill, and removing a lynch from the town.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Fair enough. I'd also be annoyed if it happened on Day 1
"Hey I'm bored, this day is going nowhere, let's all roleclaim."
"OKAY! YAAY roleclaimz!"

Wait a second, that sounds familar...

Final-Fan said:

I have an idea!!!
All mafia, roleclaim!  You'll turn into a townie and we won't lynch you!
Everybody wins!  YAY!  Go go good team!

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

TruckOSaurus said:
theRepublic said:

Then Day Two arrives and we've got nothing to go on?  We would have more than if we no lynched.  There would be tons to go back and look at in the event of a lynch.  It is the no lynches that result in little to look at.

I agree we would have more with a myslynch, one more dead townie that is.

Anyone who voted for the myslynched would have an easy excuse since nobody has anything to base their votes on today. Everyone of the voters would be guilty of voting without any good reason.

The information comes from how the day plays out, just like any other day with a lynch.

Now Playing

This seems to be an awful lot of the same people talking.

dsister44 - any word of the supermario128 front?

theRepublic:

I've read your last post a few times and its beginning to hurt my head now but I'm beginning to see your point.

The following chart shows the outcomes if we choose not to lynch / or miss-lynch on day 1.
After this I've taken the worst case scenario for the following days: we miss lynch someone every time and the Mafia make a hit (so 2 people die every round.)

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5
No-Lynch 13 12 10 8 6
Miss-Lynch 13 11 9 7 5

I'm still not seeing the benefits of likely miss lynching someone?
You're also forgetting that we'd likely lose a pro-town power role. 

Around the Network

Would you rather have four chances to lynch mafia or three?

Now Playing

Or let me put it another way.

Would you rather have four mis-lynches before it was definitely game over, or three mis-lynches before it was highly likely the game was over?

Now Playing

trangentspree said:

This seems to be an awful lot of the same people talking.

dsister44 - any word of the supermario128 front?

No.

Nikells said:

You're also forgetting that we'd likely lose a pro-town power role. 

I know, but the same will be true of every lynch.  Waiting for one night kill doesn't change those odds much at all.

Now Playing

theRepublic said:
Final-Fan said:
Fair enough. I'd also be annoyed if it happened on Day 1
"Hey I'm bored, this day is going nowhere, let's all roleclaim."
"OKAY! YAAY roleclaimz!"

Wait a second, that sounds familar...

Final-Fan said:
I have an idea!!!
All mafia, roleclaim!  You'll turn into a townie and we won't lynch you!
Everybody wins!  YAY!  Go go good team!

That's different, though:  I'm always in favor of MAFIA mass roleclaims -- when I'm town.  Aren't you? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!